CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Stereo; subwoofer question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Stereo; subwoofer question

I have a 2004 clk 500 coupe that is new to me. I noticed that the stereo did not have much base and that most of the sound came from the pillar tweaters. I did a search and read about some of your audio change overs -- which were pretty cool.

After I checked my own system to find that I did not have have a subwoofer; there is nothing there except the wires.

Question: should there be one? If so, what is missing and where can I get one. Finally, is it worth getting?

Thanks for your help...
Old 06-22-2010, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by ile man
I have a 2004 clk 500 coupe that is new to me. I noticed that the stereo did not have much base and that most of the sound came from the pillar tweaters. I did a search and read about some of your audio change overs -- which were pretty cool.

After I checked my own system to find that I did not have have a subwoofer; there is nothing there except the wires.

Question: should there be one? If so, what is missing and where can I get one. Finally, is it worth getting?

Thanks for your help...
do the wires look like they should be connected to something? i believe it was 2 spade connects for the speakers. do they look something like that?

if most sound came from the tweeters. you should try to switch balance back and forth to see if you have your door speakers as well.

i did a post where someone did even have the option for a rear sub. but i think the guy was from england. but im not sure on that.

so if you have the connects, you will be only missing the rear subwoofer. is it worth it? well if you want more bass in your car without having to spending a good fortune on other parts and installation, then yeah, i would get the stock sub.

if your looking to do what other members have done like v12/2mchar's thread, then no.

however, i just remembered there is another option, i think there is a unit that can convert your audio signal and pick up the low frequencies. then you can hook up your sub too it. seems inexpensive, but you will need a sub, amp, wiring, and maybe noise reduction depending on how big your sub is.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:04 PM

CLK 500
The wire that I can see do look like just a plug and play type option. And I am not sure if all the clk models came with the subwoofer and someone that fills the two grills in the back deck. It could have been that the previous owner took it out for some reason and did not replace.

I am not looking to blow out the bass or get a new system but if it should be there and it would give a little more than just tweater, it would be nice. I have also played with the audio adjustments several times to get it to sound the best for me.... I realize that others may not think that is what they want for their car.

I know the rear speaker grills say Bose but I was wondering if anyone knows what speaker(s) was placed in those grill areas... reading the other posts I know this was a 2 ohms system and that is not as common as some of the others. I figure if I know what I am looking for then it makes it easier to find.

Thanks for any help....
Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM

CLK 500
Oh, and all 6 of the door speakers are there... I put my ear to them and can hear them all independently...
Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
yup you got it right. its a 2ohm stable speaker that needs to be there. and its uncommon as i see most being 4ohm stable.
both speaker grills say bose but there is only 1 sub and that is behind the driver side grill. the other side is empty. rofl.

if your stateside, you might be able to buy a rear speaker off of 2mchar or someone. i havent bothered to take that rear speaker out yet, althought i should
Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM

CLK 500
Well, I am stateside and I don't have it so does anyone that replaced their system have one that they want to get rid of? I figured I would also give the local dealer a call to see but somehow I think they are going to be way high on price.

Anyone have one sitting around, let me know...

PS... the dealer sent me a diagram and it shows a speaker in passager grill and a subwoofer in the driver's side. Anyone else seen this set up as all I have heard from your previous discussions is that the passenger side is empty and the driver's side has the subwoofer. Currently. I got nothing in either side.... just the six in the door pannel.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
check how much it would be for the rear speaker from the dealer. that price might actually be cheap. lol but let us know. from tehre we might be able to work out a price for a rear speaker for you
Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 AM

CLK 500
I talked to the local dealer and the sub for my car is still availible... three day delivery. However the price is north of $100 and I would think you can get much more of a sub for that kind of money.

I also asked them for the part number but they would not provide it. Does anyone know the part number for the rear deck sub speaker on a 2004 clk 500 with the Bose system? (I would guess someone would have an illustrated parts cd)...

Also, if someone is interested in unloading the one they have, let me know...

Thanks again for the continued support...
David
Old 06-24-2010, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
I will how hard it looks for the rear to unload. it if not too difficult, i wouldnt mind selling mine. i dont think i am going to revert to stock
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 AM

CLK 500
Let me know what you think about pulling the sub from your car. The grill comes out easy and I can not believe there is too much holding it in place. If it works, I would be interested in taking it off your hands along with the mounting items (as I don't know what is needed to hold it in place). Again, let me know what you think. If you want to contact me directly it is dmonk6 @ comcast . net.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 AM

CLK 500
Question for Bheng

Hey Bheng, you said you were going to look into taking the stock sub from your car and passing it along to me. Any further thoughts on that?

Thanks for the comments, David
Old 07-06-2010, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Not sure if you and Brian have an agreement already, but I'll be selling all my stock Bose speakers/radio (including the subwoofer) this afternoon (I'll be making an offical classified thread and post links on this W209 forum). Chime in if your interested.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 PM

CLK 500
Yep... I interested

2MCHCAR --- I am interested in the sub... any way to contact you directly? My email address is david.monk@hotmail.com.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
sup david. i suggest you buy it from 2mchar. i looked at it over the past weekend but i couldnt figure out how that damn thing was bolted down.

2mchar...a little help? =)
Old 07-07-2010, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Originally Posted by ile man
2MCHCAR --- I am interested in the sub... any way to contact you directly? My email address is david.monk@hotmail.com.
I just officially put them up for sale on the classified section! The link is below and I'll contact you through your email address as well

https://mbworld.org/forums/mobile-el...ml#post4148561