CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mercedes CLK500
Speakers

Ok, so heres my dilemma I have 2003 CLK500 and im trying to wire up a sub into the car. I have all my lines run and everything works. BUT I neet to run the remote turn on and the actual speaker lines.

The rear sub in the back deak, it has 3 wires: Brown, Pink/Brown, and Pink, the 2 pink ones are positive and the brown is neg, which do I tap for a line converter to make them RCA? And also what fuse or what wire at the rear amp area do I need to tap for the low current 12v supply?

I am used to Jap and Amerian cars, Mercedes has me backwords with the wire colors and using 3 wires when there sould be 2!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Welcome to the world of MB
Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM

2003 Mercedes CLK500
lol yea. I got it to work playing with the original sub wiring. But now all I need is a wire to tap for the remote line. If I run it to constant power it works so I know everything is done but that. Does anyone know what wire off the OEM amp is the amp turn on wire? I tryed to use a test light but all i got was 4 constants and not one aux line back there...
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
i would try the light test on the wires by the original amp. i kno the front of the car where the radio is, the 12v turn on for the radio is black and yellow if i remember correctly. and the 12v acc from the cig lighter is the blue/grey (this i know for sure i tapped it 2 days ago).

but look for a blue/grey wire on the amp or a black/yellow wire. i remember when i was light testing stuff those were turn on. i am sure they are the same turn on in the back.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM

2003 Mercedes CLK500
I was using the original amp, unless there is two? The left rear amp, by the fuse block. I pulled both harnesses from it and test-lit every prong. Unless theres only through juice when its plugged in? Either way, the sub is in now, but I didn't run the remote line.

Ill tear apart the driver side trim anyway because I have a remote volume knob for it I need run up front. Any wires in the under-trim in can use? Just T off of it? Or is there a suggested fuse I tap into under the steering wheel?

I have put in a ton of stereos and aftermarket radios, but man....I have to say wiring up to a Benz is a new challenge to me!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by EuroTech430
I was using the original amp, unless there is two? The left rear amp, by the fuse block. I pulled both harnesses from it and test-lit every prong. Unless theres only through juice when its plugged in? Either way, the sub is in now, but I didn't run the remote line.

Ill tear apart the driver side trim anyway because I have a remote volume knob for it I need run up front. Any wires in the under-trim in can use? Just T off of it? Or is there a suggested fuse I tap into under the steering wheel?

I have put in a ton of stereos and aftermarket radios, but man....I have to say wiring up to a Benz is a new challenge to me!
lol it was difficult for me at first. it was actually my first radio install... lol imagine all the headaches i have LOL

left sided amp? mine was on the right side. how did you get it on without a remote line? better yet how did you power the sub?

i dont quite understand about the wires under the trim? are you still trying to find a remote line?

i believe there is a remote line on the door sill. it is one of the wires that you would need to tap for the illuminate sill. if your looking for that wire, im sure there is a diy for it and you can just tap that wire.

i would suggest and found it easier to take out all the trim in the trunk. and only unscrewing the bolt from the rear driver side seats. i used this wire called fish tape and led it thru the back. tapped it onto the wires i needed and slowly pulled to the front. i hope you understood that haha. from there you can drag the wire thru the door sill area to the front.

the only acc fuse that i know would be to the cigarette fuse but thats up front under the hood.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:43 PM

2003 Mercedes CLK500
Yea, I got it all done before I actually read this last post. Heres what I did, in case anyone else would like to know how to run an aftermarket sub/Hide a radar detector in a 209 CLK.

First of all, unplug the stock sub harness and cut the three wires. Pull that harness down a bit until you can access it from the back seat. Put the sub/box/amp assembly in the car. Then I ran the (fused) power line. Took off the cabin filter housing, and removed the blower motor cover. I can the power line from the battery, under the cabin filter housing and into the car next to the "squirrel cage" towards the passenger compartment there is actually a large hole that drops straight into the cabin behind the glove box. Pulled up my carpet and padding and what not and ran the power wire through the plastic wire protectors along the door seam. Ran it all the way to the back. This part was tricky because the clearances are soo tight you cant simply run it under the seat into the back. Had to go around the side and tuck it down. From there I simply connected it to my capacitor. Now for the fun part. I removed all the center console stuff, put the car parking brake on and put it into drive (engine off). Removed the shifter covers and all the woodgrain around the radio, ran the radar detector line down through the speaker cover in front of the a/c ducts. Brought that wire all the way down to the back of the cig lighter and hardwired it to the back using the brown (-) and yellow (+) wires. I also ran the acc line for the amp off the yellow wire. Also up front I hardwired in my bass volume knob for the amp into that little pouch under the radio. Looks almost factory... its not flush, I ran it a little farther into the pocket so you don't see it as noticeably. The carpets are easy to move around, and all I had to do was lift up in front of the seat to reveal the perfect line to run wires. The remote line and volume line were run together along the driver side door wire protectors same way as the power line on the other side. For grounds I just used the luggage tie down in the back. Now to convert the speaker wires to RCA I just used the cheap-*** Scoche line converter. I used the pink (+) and brown (-) wires and taped off the pink/brown (+) wire to not be used. When all was said and done I used some wire covers and covered all the brightly colored wires to look as OEM as it can with a big sub in there...

I'll post up some pictures later of the final product, I wanted to get it done quick so I didnt take any of the whole process, but its really easy, just time consuming. Now when the car starts the radar detector turns on and the amp turns on just in time to drive.