CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ETC: Transmission Control Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Exclamation ETC: Transmission Control Unit

I'm going to put a quick thread together here in case anyone else runs into the same issue I did in regards to replacing the ETC (transmission control unit). It could save you quite a bit of time and money.

Soon after I bought my CLK500 the car went into a trans limp in mode, I took the car into the dealer and through a diagnostic check it was determined that the ETC was faulty and needed to be replaced. The cost for the part was 5,130AED (1,405USD) plus the labour to install and program, 760AED (208USD). The part needed to be brought in from Germany so there was about a week wait, this is mostly due to the time, it is the Holy month of Ramadan in Islamic countries and the working hours are (at best...) 10-3 leaving a lot of work getting backed up. When the part arrived it was deemed faulty because they could not get it to take a program tune, another part was ordered and another week went by. With the second ETC, same story, it would not take a program tune.

My service advisor then called me and told me that I would need to upgrade the EIS (ignition & keys) to a current model so it matched the new ETC, the cost of this would be 4,000AED (1,095USD). Being that I have a fairly extensive background in car electronics and ECU tuning this didn't make sense to me so I questioned it and asked that more information be gathered. In my opinion there just wasn't much logic to what I was told.

In the end, the workshop manager got back to me with the following;

"Dear Mr. Hutchinson

As you are aware we had to replace the ETC (transmission control unit), after this repair we have to perform programming and flash SCN coding before the unit can be activated. The problem we were facing was we had no communication between the ETC and the EIS (Ignition switch) This was due to the new ETC being a updated version than the predecessor. So our diagnostic system was suggesting replacement of the EIS, so it matches the updated version ETC.

Through communication with Star diagnosis Germany and Daimler Middle east, we came to the conclusion that during high loads of CAN (data) transfer. The EIS can block the data, so we were advised to remove the fuse for the EIS during this procedure, which was then successful.

In My eighteen years with Mercedes Benz, This is the first time I've come across this type of issue. So I would like to apologies for the delay and the unclear information you have received from us.

Your vehicle will be ready for collection in the morning, Please arrange this with *edit*, and if you require any further information please don't hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards"

I was/am very satisfied with both the email and the outcome, I did not have to replace the EIS and I also recieved a generous discount for the downtime. So, if any of you ever need to replace your ETC, keep this in mind.

Good luck gents!

Last edited by Kevwood; 09-11-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Made clear mention that the EIS did not have to be replaced.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
so after the fixed the total is around $3k ?

Andy
Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
After my discount it was about $1,190USD for the ETC as it didn't need a new EIS. My total bill was a lot higher as I had a lot of other things done while it was in.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
It's a shame that it happened to you, but good info to know.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:37 AM

Dude I think you just saved my ***. I got Mercedes stuck with my car for 3 weeks trying to do the same dam thing and they just ordered the second part complaining about exactly the same thing.

I just sent a copy of your thread to them. thanks!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Good luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM

2006 Facelift CLK500 Cab-
They NEVER make anything easy unless it's breaking something huh?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
This is good to know thanks Kev.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RMOTTA
Dude I think you just saved my ***. I got Mercedes stuck with my car for 3 weeks trying to do the same dam thing and they just ordered the second part complaining about exactly the same thing.

I just sent a copy of your thread to them. thanks!!!
Thats great to hear pal, I hope everything works out for you in the end. This community has helped me a heck of a lot, it's nice to contribute as well.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 PM

clk550
hi,
I own a CLK 550/2007 Cabriolet , with only 2,500 miles.
I was recently driving and the transmition came too trans limp in mode , so i went home, the next day i started the car and all was fine again , took it for small ride and the same trouble came out.So i took it to the dealer and they told me the (ETC: Transmission Control Unit) need to be changed ,I told them ,i think this matter is electrical fault , because works fine 100% some times, then just in a sec the gears are gone !
those some one knows this is normal failure ?
I told them check the wiring diagram of the car maybe some wires are make false contact.
Thanks in advance .