CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Will i lose power with this exhaust setup guys?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevblah
I've been to the one in North Reading a couple times, that's their original store and where the owner is. That's generally the best one to go to.

Hm that's like 1 hour from me not bad at all. I will give those guys a call to see whats up!
Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Clkboi
Btw Andy are you talking of a setup like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRbaad5kK7o

Start from 1:09
yup like that so its 2 inlets and 2 outlets. You are good to go .

Andy
Old 10-01-2010, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
yup like that so its 2 inlets and 2 outlets. You are good to go .

Andy

That really looks like a clean setup i like it

Now final question to you lol. Can you pull that off while still having your cats or they have to be off for that design?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla

Now final question to you lol. Can you pull that off while still having your cats or they have to be off for that design?
Where is your resonator now ? Maybe your car is different thats why im asking and they can move it around. The resonator will have to put in before the muffler no matter where you move it but is there enough room to reuse your resonator and your new muffler ? that I dont know...they guy at the shop will tell u that.

Andy

Last edited by M-bENZ; 10-01-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
Where is your resonator now ? Maybe your car is different thats why im asking and they can move it around.

Andy
resonator is gone lol and replaced with a straight pipe. I believe CLK 350 and 320 have the same design though
Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
U need to go to the muffler shop now 
Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Where is your resonator now ? Maybe your car is different thats why im asking and they can move it around. The resonator will have to put in before the muffler no matter where you move it but is there enough room to reuse your resonator and your new muffler ? that I dont know...they guy at the shop will tell u that. Andy

Hmmmmmm........why would anyone want to put the resonator back if you removed/move it? It just a sound canceling. Itt sound much better/louder without it.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by Klinh
Hmmmmmm........why would anyone want to put the resonator back if you removed/move it? It just a sound canceling. Itt sound much better/louder without it.
Go back and read .

Andy
Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Based on the pic, that muffler is designed for a single inlet into an daul outlet. That muffler is installed backward. Depending how the air chamber vent inside the muffler design, it will do more harms then good because of backup pressure. But then the other oulet could be just a "fake" outlet.
No, not at all.

That muffler is a Magnaflow with no internal chambers and it is certainly not installed backwards. The muffler is designed for the mid 80's Camaro and was mounted sideways with a single inlet and dual outlets (on on each side). There is absolutely no build up of backpressure by installing the muffler like this, although the left side tip will infact flow more exhaust gasses than the right due to the "path of least resistance".

For someone wanting to use a high flow single muffler with dual tips, this is an excellent choice.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Based on the pic, that muffler is designed for a single inlet into an daul outlet. That muffler is installed backward. Depending how the air chamber vent inside the muffler design, it will do more harms then good because of backup pressure. But then the other oulet could be just a "fake" outlet.
All universal Magnaflow mufflers are reversible. It's not backwards.

Originally Posted by kevblah
I don't think that's what he was saying. I think he was trying to say that you shouldn't sink all the money into a quad exhaust setup because it might come out being too loud for your taste.

I don't agree with that.

What I would recommend you do is go for it and do the quad exhaust and if it is too loud for your taste, you can put the resonators back on or evaluate other options at that point. But, at least you'd have the quad exhaust!!!
+1. That's what I'm going to do. I have 2nd cats/resonator deleted. I might end up putting a Magnaflow resonator in if it's too loud after the quads.

Originally Posted by Kevwood
No, not at all.

That muffler is a Magnaflow with no internal chambers and it is certainly not installed backwards. The muffler is designed for the mid 80's Camaro and was mounted sideways with a single inlet and dual outlets (on on each side). There is absolutely no build up of backpressure by installing the muffler like this, although the left side tip will infact flow more exhaust gasses than the right due to the "path of least resistance".

For someone wanting to use a high flow single muffler with dual tips, this is an excellent choice.
+1. I wish I had a sound clip of that muffler on the CLK. Still haven't decided which Magnaflows to go with.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K

You should take out your cats also. Don't worry, the small engine is not going to sound too loud.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by dynomite05
+1. I wish I had a sound clip of that muffler on the CLK. Still haven't decided which Magnaflows to go with.
I bought that muffler too Wes. I intend on doing the secondary cat delete to start off with, if the sound isn't too loud or harsh then I will also remove the resonator. I'll get sound clips but they will be months away...

As for the Magnaflow line, from experience I can tell you that all the wide-open designs sound practically the same. The oval style dampen a little better than the round (more sound deadening material). They are all very similar and IMO, the best sounding muffler on the market.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic
ok wow that helps a lot too thanks guys. So its not installed backwards and its made for that purpose. Reason i might go with that design is its gonna be cheaper from the exhaust shop. Less cutting and welding...
And as you said dyno i might get a magnaflow resonator as well if its too loud for my taste
Old 10-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I bought that muffler too Wes. I intend on doing the secondary cat delete to start off with, if the sound isn't too loud or harsh then I will also remove the resonator. I'll get sound clips but they will be months away...

As for the Magnaflow line, from experience I can tell you that all the wide-open designs sound practically the same. The oval style dampen a little better than the round (more sound deadening material). They are all very similar and IMO, the best sounding muffler on the market.

The problem is I will have 2, so I'm still undecided. I need to order them this weekend to make it to the muffler shop during the week. I will probably end up going with the 2 ovals since you say they dampen a bit better.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you go to the Magnafow site the have a great selection. Just figure out the rough dimensions that you can use, then make a few selections. One other thing you can do to furter increase the dampening is to use the offset design as well (ie, center inlet, left/right outlet). It's not a drastic change but it does in fact work., I did that on my track car.

Good luck matey, looking forward to pics & sound clips.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
If you go to the Magnafow site the have a great selection. Just figure out the rough dimensions that you can use, then make a few selections. One other thing you can do to furter increase the dampening is to use the offset design as well (ie, center inlet, left/right outlet). It's not a drastic change but it does in fact work., I did that on my track car.

Good luck matey, looking forward to pics & sound clips.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will be able to install them soon.