CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK320 EXHAUST & TUNE DEVOLPEMENT...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55,S500,C200 KOMP,SV300 ,LANDCRUISER SAHARA
CLK320 EXHAUST & TUNE DEVOLPEMENT...

We have been doing devolpement on the CLK320 model as this model as poor throttle response and is a very hard vehicle to extract power from,the goal was,

- Throttle response
- Low & mid torque increase
- Better fuel economy
- Smoother engine operation

- We started with the following mods

- Intake modifictations
- 2 X K&N Filters
- Stainless high flow cats
- Custom exhaust system
- Stock rear muffler was retained
- Custom Tune to match mods

- The result was 197.7hp compared to the stock run of 176.4hp,the intial look sees a gain of 21.5hp,which is not a bad gain in anyone's books..the real gain was the torque delivery and where it delivered it,if you study the graphs below,you will see the off the line torque thru to the mid range gain was paramount.Looking at the comparisson graph,you will see,we dynoed the car after every modification was done,this gave us a insight to the gains made from each modification.On the road it was a completely dofferent car to drive,it felt weightless as the torque from the low end and mid kicked in alot earleir requiring minimal throttle to get a reaction.The torqueyness of the vehcile was just awsome,it was a actual pleasure to drive,The owner called back after a few days and said he actually drove the car more in the last 2 days then he did in the last year "its a totally different car" he said.Below is the graphs and video of the run for those interested..

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/user/sonnymad.../2/XAUOp331gMA

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Sonny@Marranos; 10-19-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Interesting....What does "Intake Modifications" mean? From the video everything looks stock. Also what was done to the "Custom Exhaust"?
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by dynomite05
Interesting....What does "Intake Modifications" mean? From the video everything looks stock. Also what was done to the "Custom Exhaust"?

The intake isnt touched externally,we clear all the restrictions in the airbox and intake system,the exhaust system has the factory cats up front replaced with high flow cats,then the the pipes are all made custom to the middle muffler,which is replaced with a high flow muffler,then butted to the factory rear muffler.

regards sonny
Old 10-19-2010, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
clk500
good luck
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
Sonny, I have a chiptune by INMotion, custom short tube headers, and a custom cold air intake. I have not done any exhaust work yet but I can tell you from personal experience that the Sprintbooster I recently added made a huge difference in the way the car responds. We all know it doesn't make any more hrspwr or torque but it makes a huge difference in the way the throttle responds. You probably know that all it is, is a signal amplifier. Well, I am here to tell you that the car flat out responds fabulously. It accelerates quicker, upshifts quicker and downshifts quicker. There is NO throttle lag. I would recommend it to anyone. I thought $329 seemed a bit pricy but I am glad I bought it. The only problem I have now is driving too fast. I have not vested interest in Sprintbooster.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99CLK320,
buffy, who is ab racing and do they have retail sales. TIA
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by dlbehrns
Sonny, I have a chiptune by INMotion, custom short tube headers, and a custom cold air intake. I have not done any exhaust work yet but I can tell you from personal experience that the Sprintbooster I recently added made a huge difference in the way the car responds. We all know it doesn't make any more hrspwr or torque but it makes a huge difference in the way the throttle responds. You probably know that all it is, is a signal amplifier. Well, I am here to tell you that the car flat out responds fabulously. It accelerates quicker, upshifts quicker and downshifts quicker. There is NO throttle lag. I would recommend it to anyone. I thought $329 seemed a bit pricy but I am glad I bought it. The only problem I have now is driving too fast. I have not vested interest in Sprintbooster.

I've been recommending the Sprint Booster for yearsssssssssssss. I couldn't drive my car without it now. You can get used one in the classified forum for around $200. Btw, your car is an 99 model so installation was alot easier inside the engine bay.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by dlbehrns
I have a sprint booster in my s500,and it is a good thing,but its only throttle response,the torque this clk picked up and the way it accelerated on the road,was phenominal,the torque delivery was incredible.The car felt weightless.

regards sonny
Old 10-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Some people have funny posts.. Lol
Old 10-20-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
I think i know what you talking about Wes.

Andy
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM

w203 c200k, r33 GTR,
does the 208 clk use the same engine?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 CLK500
Originally Posted by dynomite05
Some people have funny posts.. Lol

thats one way to put it.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:16 PM

2004 clk 320
Originally Posted by Sonny@Marranos
We have been doing devolpement on the CLK320 model as this model as poor throttle response and is a very hard vehicle to extract power from,the goal was,

- Throttle response
- Low & mid torque increase
- Better fuel economy
- Smoother engine operation

- We started with the following mods

- Intake modifictations
- 2 X K&N Filters
- Stainless high flow cats
- Custom exhaust system
- Stock rear muffler was retained
- Custom Tune to match mods

- The result was 197.7hp compared to the stock run of 176.4hp,the intial look sees a gain of 21.5hp,which is not a bad gain in anyone's books..the real gain was the torque delivery and where it delivered it,if you study the graphs below,you will see the off the line torque thru to the mid range gain was paramount.Looking at the comparisson graph,you will see,we dynoed the car after every modification was done,this gave us a insight to the gains made from each modification.On the road it was a completely dofferent car to drive,it felt weightless as the torque from the low end and mid kicked in alot earleir requiring minimal throttle to get a reaction.The torqueyness of the vehcile was just awsome,it was a actual pleasure to drive,The owner called back after a few days and said he actually drove the car more in the last 2 days then he did in the last year "its a totally different car" he said.Below is the graphs and video of the run for those interested..

Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/user/sonnymad.../2/XAUOp331gMA
Do you know what the 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times ended up being?