CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

which springs & shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CLK550
which springs & shocks

I'm going to go plus 2 size, 19X8.5 front and 19X9.5 rear. I'd like to know the best setup for this application as far as springs and shocks. I was thinking lowering 1.4 front and 1.3 rear. My questions are what size tire should I use to prevent rubbing issues and do I need to replace the shocks. If I do in fact need to do shocks also, which would you recommend. Not trying to drop serious money but would like a decent setup as this is a daily driver. thanks 07 CLK 550 stock.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by bcr4d
I'm going to go plus 2 size, 19X8.5 front and 19X9.5 rear. I'd like to know the best setup for this application as far as springs and shocks. I was thinking lowering 1.4 front and 1.3 rear. My questions are what size tire should I use to prevent rubbing issues and do I need to replace the shocks. If I do in fact need to do shocks also, which would you recommend. Not trying to drop serious money but would like a decent setup as this is a daily driver. thanks 07 CLK 550 stock.

With the amount that you want to lower it, I assume you're going with H&R springs. What is the offsets on the wheels. The common tire size being used is 235/35/19 and 265/30/19. You shouldn't have any problems with rubbing assuming the offsets aren't crazy. Using the H&R springs will make the rear appear lower than the front. You can swap out spring pads in the rear to raise it a bit if you don't like the look. The OEM shocks aren't meant to be used with lowering springs, but plenty of people do. If you are going to swap the shock, you could go with Koni or Bilstein. What is your budget?
Old 11-27-2010, 12:57 AM

07 CLK550
Originally Posted by dynomite05
With the amount that you want to lower it, I assume you're going with H&R springs. What is the offsets on the wheels. The common tire size being used is 235/35/19 and 265/30/19. You shouldn't have any problems with rubbing assuming the offsets aren't crazy. Using the H&R springs will make the rear appear lower than the front. You can swap out spring pads in the rear to raise it a bit if you don't like the look. The OEM shocks aren't meant to be used with lowering springs, but plenty of people do. If you are going to swap the shock, you could go with Koni or Bilstein. What is your budget?
I found the wheels on Usarims I have to call to check the offset. I'm looking to spend around 700 for the springs and shocks, but If I can get by without purchasing shocks I might try that route. Would I damage anything by not buying shocks and just using lowering springs? Your car looks awsome.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by dynomite05
+1.

I am going with H&R's and #4 pads on the rear, it should level out and look great (I believe another member on the 209 forum recently did the same). I will also be tossing in a set of Koni Sport adjustable dampers because I'll be tracking (roadcourse) the car a lot, overkill if you're just using the car for the street. I also have 235/35-19's and 265/30-19's as Wes mentioned above, no rubbing issues at all, the previous 275's did a little.