CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Black Series Strut Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
nice wes...
however, i never knew what's the purpose of having strut bars .. can anyone tell me

Last edited by ahmadk; 12-07-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by ahmadk
nice wes...
however, i never knew what's the purpose of having steut bars .. can anyone tell me

Provides extra stiffness to strut towers.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
hah Ahmadk thanks for asking. I dont know wither but didnt want to feel stupid and ask.

So tell us guys what does it do lol
Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by Clkboi
hah Ahmadk thanks for asking. I dont know wither but didnt want to feel stupid and ask.

haha... i didn't wanna ask either... but it's good to know
Old 12-07-2010, 05:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by Clkboi

I was going to type out my own views but this is a pretty decent (if not simplistic) explanation;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strut_bar

In a nutshell, they greatly improve the handling dynamics of a car and work to 'get the most out of' the rest of the suspension. The difference was very noticable on my track car back home that they were not as well designed as these AMG bars.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Wes, on your parts thread, post #4 you have a few great underhood pics of the CLK63 Blackie with the strut tower bars. Are the 3 nuts and bolts securing the bracket to the frame available using your parts system?

To me it looks like there is a slight gap between the bracket and the tower (the tower is shaped), I'm guessing that the bolt pops up from underneath, then there is a clip or very shallow nut to hold it in place and make up the space between the tower face and bracket, then the nut to hold the bracket down. Do you see what I'm seeing? I zoomed in 200% on the second pic and thats what I got out of it.

I'm out of town (big surprise eh?) right now, other wise I'd be outside looking under my hood. Getting anxious to get modding, this waiting (since July now) is killing me!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Wes, on your parts thread, post #4 you have a few great underhood pics of the CLK63 Blackie with the strut tower bars. Are the 3 nuts and bolts securing the bracket to the frame available using your parts system?

To me it looks like there is a slight gap between the bracket and the tower (the tower is shaped), I'm guessing that the bolt pops up from underneath, then there is a clip or very shallow nut to hold it in place and make up the space between the tower face and bracket, then the nut to hold the bracket down. Do you see what I'm seeing? I zoomed in 200% on the second pic and thats what I got out of it.

I'm out of town (big surprise eh?) right now, other wise I'd be outside looking under my hood. Getting anxious to get modding, this waiting (since July now) is killing me!!!

I definitely see what you are talking about. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like those nuts and bolts are listed. I think the best way to get an answer right now is to make a thread in the BS section. There has to be an owner there with a bit more knowledge on this.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, could do that I guess. I'll prolly just go down to the MB dealer on Saturday when I'm back in Dubai and speak to a tech there, there seems to always be a CLK or SL Black Series in there for service. I have to buy a key anyways so it won't be a out of the way trip.

*Edit* : It was a good suggestion to post in the CLK63 forum, I went ahead and did it. The more opinions and information the better.

Last edited by Kevwood; 12-07-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:27 AM

2006 Facelift CLK500 Cab-
Does no one make aftermarket strut bars for these cars? I'm really interested in getting one for the front, I just don't know if I can justify $600 for it. Is there any way to put one on the rear of a convertible? I haven't even looked in there to see if there is clearance.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 AM

Oh and I'm not bashing these, they are completely B.A. haha
This car has just been draining my bank account since I got it....and that was only a month ago .......
Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jamesbbh
Oh and I'm not bashing these, they are completely B.A. haha
This car has just been draining my bank account since I got it....and that was only a month ago .......
No worries matey, we all have different budgets. I bought this car because it left me a ton left over to play with, that was the whole idea of buying it - to build and play at the track again.

As for other bars, yep, a few are out the VIPCLK was offering some but his production run may be finished now, I also found a few different ones with a simple Google search.

Good luck and let us all know what you end up going with.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Oh my budget is ok I'm just an accountant....tends to be a little difficult getting me to part with my money haha. I'm constantly justifying purchases to myself i.e. (insert whatever car part here) vs. retirement/remodeling house. I usually end up with the car part. I think I need an intervention.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM

Oh just to be clear, which models share the same chassis as a 2006 post-facelift w209? I really appreciate the help! I might end up going with a B.S. bar eventually anyways.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
No worries matey, we all have different budgets. I bought this car because it left me a ton left over to play with, that was the whole idea of buying it - to build and play at the track again.

As for other bars, yep, a few are out the VIPCLK was offering some but his production run may be finished now, I also found a few different ones with a simple Google search.

Good luck and let us all know what you end up going with.
I have the VIPclk320 front and rear strut bars (only the rear is installed; I'll wait until the supercharger is installed in-case of clearance issues), and I can tell you they do make a difference! Are they as good as the BS versions,.....no. But they are more affordable and they are adjustable (you can loosen them up after you hit the track). That being said, depending on Kevwood's experience; I might sell them and get the BS versions too.

They are still selling the VIPclk320 strut bars here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/suspensio...e-package.html
and here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/suspensio...t-tie-bar.html
Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Jamesbbh
Does no one make aftermarket strut bars for these cars? .

No because it would required modify to the strut mount tower by drill 3 holes. Drill 3 holes on the tower that is not intended for the strut bar could weaken the tower more. Since there's no re-inforcement around the holes like factory with thicker metals surounding, under hard corner, the strut bar can rip it apart. It a nice cosmetic mods though. If one want better handling on the Clk, thicker sways bars (front and rear) and Bilstein Pss9 coilover is the way to go.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Klinh
No because it would required modify to the strut mount tower by drill 3 holes. Drill 3 holes on the tower that is not intended for the strut bar could weaken the tower more. Since there's no re-inforcement around the holes like factory with thicker metals surounding, under hard corner, the strut bar can rip it apart. It a nice cosmetic mods though. If one want better handling on the Clk, thicker sways bars (front and rear) and Bilstein Pss9 coilover is the way to go.
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you right so I'll ask;

Are you saying that you believe the strut tower of my CLK 500 is different/weaker than the CLK 63 AMG Black Series? And because of this, by drilling 3 holes will weaken it?

I'd rather ask before I comment on this.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you saying that you believe the strut tower of my CLK 500 is different/weaker than the CLK 63 AMG Black Series? And because of this, by drilling 3 holes will weaken it?

Yes and by drill 3 holes "might" weaken the strut tower.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
im sure a total of 6 holes with 1/4" grade 8 bolts wont tear at the towers with a car that cannot pull a 1G turn.
modding is modding...you pay to play...things do happen; but thicker swaybars are not always the problem solvers....they come with their share of ripping subframes apart; oversteer etc etc.

imho, I thinking he'll max out the cars potential before anything destructive happens to the strut tower mounts.

Btw, is your front springs chopped? I know you're not on coilovers but your front end is tucked nicely...just curious...debating to put on the coilovers or sell them to recoupe the cost...lol.

Last edited by Supafly; 12-07-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes and by drill 3 holes "might" weaken the strut tower.
Here's my thoughts. First of all I don't know for sure but I'm pretty darn sure that the strut tower of the 500 and 63 is the same. In fact, I'm willing to wager a guess that all the 209 CLK's(unibody cars) have the same strut tower construction. I've worked on a lot of different cars in the past and have never seen a strut tower change from one engine configuration to another. However, I'm not a MB tech so I will confirm this when I get back to Dubai. Luckily I live in the land of AMG's and there are quite a few 63 BS that I can take a look at.

As for the possibility of weakening the strut tower by drilling three holes in it, yes, it is possible if the holes were big enough but I highly doubt that three holes about 7/16" drilled in 120* increments are going to have any negative effect at all. As for 'lack of reiforcement', that is why the strut brace bracket is a ring, not a half moon or small piece of metal that secures in one contained area. The ring itself distributes the force across the entire top of the strut tower and provides support by being bolted into place. I built and installed a complete custom set of strut tower bars into my Z34 back home and beat the hell out of that car on roadcourses, not a hint of a failure and I can tell you that the factory build quality of my Benz is far superior.

I understand that you are offering your opinion, we all do and there is nothing wrong with that but;

1. Yes there are aftermarket strut tower bars available for the CLK ('ve looked at the offerings and don't believe that some of the front bars will effectively supprt and distribute the lateral forces).
2. The possibility of strut tower failure by installing this bar on my 500 is pretty much impossible unless I destroy the tower during install.
3. These bars are far from a mere cosmetic mod for my application, they are part of a system.

Would you agree with the above?
Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's my thoughts. First of all I don't know for sure but I'm pretty darn sure that the strut tower of the 500 and 63 is the same.

I find it hard to believes that Mercedes didn't stiffed up the strut tower and just drilled holes to mounted the strut bar. They went all out for perfarmances, like bigger sway bars, adjustable coilover, strut bars and they even changed the strut mounting plates.

As for 'lack of reiforcement', that is why the strut brace bracket is a ring, not a half moon or small piece of metal that secures in one contained area. The ring itself distributes the force across the entire top of the strut tower and provides support by being bolted into place.

Yes, I do know that but that just on the top. I'm more concern on the under/back side of the strut tower where the tradition strut has strut plate with 3 screws attached and the screws mount it through the strut tower. The plates with screws is what give the back side strut tower re-inforcement like the top side strut bars ring.

1. Yes there are aftermarket strut tower bars available for the CLK ('ve looked at the offerings and don't believe that some of the front bars will effectively supprt and distribute the lateral forces).

Really, there are some aftermarket strut bar out there? Please give us the link. I have not seen one done professionally from a company. I only saw a couple home made one.

2. The possibility of strut tower failure by installing this bar on my 500 is pretty much impossible unless I destroy the tower during install.

Yes, it impossible just install a strut bar like on most cars by removed 3 screws nut and mount the strut bar. But on the Clk, it required modify of the strut tower by drill 3 holes. Under hard corner, could weaken the strut tower structure. On the E30 M3, most owners included myself (owned 3 E30 M3) track the car on the weekend and I've seen alot of crack strut tower due to extremes load on the strut tower.

3. These bars are far from a mere cosmetic mod for my application, they are part of a system.

I didn't say the mod is "just" a cosmetic. What I meant, the mods, cosmetic look nice.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Weichers has bars for the W209s
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM

The more research I do the more I like the black series bars. Possible solution to the "maybe" weakening of the strut tower, what if you got a circle template made with the same 3 holes and put it inside the tower and ran the bolts through both of them to mount it?
Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll start my looking when I get home this weekend, I still believe that adding these bars to my car is going to have nothing but positive effects and I'm certainly not woried about the strut tower ripping apart like you say you've seen on BMW's. VIPCLK offers a strut tower bar that mounts in a single location - using the below logic, that would be a a prime setup for failure due to extreme forces on a single point, I've never heard anyone mention it happening.

You raise some good points, we'll see how it comes out in the wash. If there is going to be a failure, I'll be the first to post it, this car is going to have the tar beaten out of it on the tracks here.

Here's my thoughts. First of all I don't know for sure but I'm pretty darn sure that the strut tower of the 500 and 63 is the same.

I find it hard to believes that Mercedes didn't stiffed up the strut tower and just drilled holes to mounted the strut bar. They went all out for perfarmances, like bigger sway bars, adjustable coilover, strut bars and they even changed the strut mounting plates.

As for 'lack of reiforcement', that is why the strut brace bracket is a ring, not a half moon or small piece of metal that secures in one contained area. The ring itself distributes the force across the entire top of the strut tower and provides support by being bolted into place.

Yes, I do know that but that just on the top. I'm more concern on the under/back side of the strut tower where the tradition strut has strut plate with 3 screws attached and the screws mount it through the strut tower. The plates with screws is what give the back side strut tower re-inforcement like the top side strut bars ring.

Really, there are some aftermarket strut bar out there? Please give us the link. I have not seen one done professionally from a company. I only saw a couple home made one.

Yes, it impossible just install a strut bar like on most cars by removed 3 screws nut and mount the strut bar. But on the Clk, it required modify of the strut tower by drill 3 holes. Under hard corner, could weaken the strut tower structure. On the E30 M3, most owners included myself (owned 3 E30 M3) track the car on the weekend and I've seen alot of crack strut tower due to extremes load on the strut tower.

I didn't say the mod is "just" a cosmetic. What I meant, the mods, cosmetic look nice.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

VIPCLK offers a strut tower bar that mounts in a single location - using the below logic, that would be a a prime setup for failure due to extreme forces on a single point, I've never heard anyone mention it happening.
[/I]

Not just any single mount point but mounted to the weakest point and that the strut piston. The strut bar/brace is support to brace the chassis together and so the main point should be on the chassis. So we never heard of anyone mention but how many installed it? I can only remember about 2 people and are they track their cars? The crack on M3 happen on the life of tracked cars averages about 10 years old. It happen alot because M3 owners track their cars. Just google "m3 strut tower brace cracked" and learn more about it.

Yes, the mods will definitely help but at what cost in the long run. Any time you tighted up the suspension, it will help.

Last edited by Klinh; 12-08-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To my knowledge I am going to be the first to install these bars on a CLK500, I searched and searched and couldn't find any mention of someone else doing it. One the strut is out I can take a look and see if an additional bracing is required but as of now (just got home and took a look), I think it'll be fine.

More to come...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Black Series Strut Bars