CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Paddle shift steering wheel on non AMG W209

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Ah, cool, thanks. I don't know how I missed that thread!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Ah, cool, thanks. I don't know how I missed that thread!
Haha no prob I have talked to 4-5 stealerships and none of them can give me an answer if they can connect and make the paddles work or not for my car.
It's frustrating because they work with these cars everyday come on!!
Old 02-05-2011, 03:16 PM

Hi guys. I have some advice/case/new path. I was thinkig to instal shift paddle in my BMW 730d (european version) from '98. There was one solution, it wasn't so expensive (if you DIY and use used parts), but it was time consuming. After talking with my friend we get a new idea. Why to not instal the shift padles in steering wheel, nearby put a radio transmitter and near shift knob in a cetral console put a radio receiver and conect it with the switchers which change gear when you push the shift knob. Of course it means, that when you push the paddle connected with transmitter, it sends an information to receiver which works like a factory switcher, which sends a signal to gerabox steering to change a gear.

What do you think about this solution? Maybe you want to add some ideas or tell I'm stupid - do not hesitate and let me know

Sorry if I used not exact words, but I do not use thecnical english (or even normal english) every day

Last edited by tomashbo; 02-05-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by tomashbo
Hi guys. I have some advice/case/new path. I was thinkig to instal shift paddle in my BMW 730d (european version) from '98. There was one solution, it wasn't so expensive (if you DIY and use used parts), but it was time consuming. After talking with my friend we get a new idea. Why to not instal the shift padles in steering wheel, nearby put a radio transmitter and near shift knob in a cetral console put a radio receiver and conect it with the switchers which change gear when you push the shift knob. Of course it means, that when you push the paddle connected with transmitter, it sends an information to receiver which works like a factory switcher, which sends a signal to gerabox steering to change a gear.

What do you think about this solution? Maybe you want to add some ideas or tell I'm stupid - do not hesitate and let me know

Sorry if I used not exact words, but I do not use thecnical english (or even normal english) every day
I'm no pro on cars but I wouldn't want any radio transmitter to shift my gears if even possible?
If you and your friend make this work it would be interesting to read
Old 02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by mikata
I'm no pro on cars but I wouldn't want any radio transmitter to shift my gears if even possible?
If you and your friend make this work it would be interesting to read
+1
Old 02-07-2011, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by tomashbo

It's always good to hear guys think outside the box and throw new ideas into the ring - for that, good on 'ya

Personally, I think that the whole radio trasmitter thing may be very complicated in regards to just switching electronics or using a series of resistors and caps.

As for using paddle shifters on a BMW, check out this thread - very cool project;

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/610491

And as a whole project, very simple as well.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 AM

questios

hello, I have clk 208, which does not have paddle in the steering wheel, somebody knows if these trowels in steering wheel can be put him?
Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 PM

Hi again

This one which you sent was that one I was thinking about (about retrofitting shift paddles into e38). I'm thinking about CLK C209 and that's why I won't put it my car - I'm going to change for CLK in the near future But if I would buy CLK without shift paddles I will try to put there my solution
Radio transmitter is quite simple and quite small thing - it's like a garage door opener, so I think it's very easy to put it behind the airbag without any problems. Beacuse you don't need a rolling code and it will be works at no more than 1m (let say 2 feets in your calc) it can be more simple than normal remote control, which means it pobably could be even smaller.

I use something like that to turn on lights in my garden. They're usually turned off, but if you want turn them on, you just have to push a button on the remote, which U can take with U in any room in your house. The way looks like that: remote control->radio receiver->switch board-> every single lamp. Proviously it worked with day/night sensor, but I've decided to cut cost for energy (and be more green and I turn it on only when I want to. It's working very fine and (what is very important) very fast - probably it's a little bit slower than using conventional cable connection (which I'm not sure it really is), but even is there any differences it's not visibile to the human eye.

Pro:
- If there is any problem with putting new cable between the steering wheel and gearshift steering (especially if you have car with tiptronic and whitout any buttons in your steering wheel) or/and with programming gearshift steering (if you have newer car

Con:
- If you don't have any buttons in your steering wheel there probably will be problems with power supply (don't even try to use power supply from the airbag!), but you can use a battery which you normal use in garage door opener. It's small and, like in the standard garage door opener, it can be changed not more often than 5 years I think.

Wow... Thank you for your attention and I hope you understand what I mean - sorry for bad language :]

Last edited by tomashbo; 02-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
It would be very interesting to know if this would work. If possible.
It's hard enough convincing the MB dealers to install the paddles in my car, the OEM way MB doesn't want to do it for me
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
A few helpful links for those Paddle Shifter Pioneers

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w209...-amg-w209.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...-shifters.html
Old 10-14-2011, 10:30 AM

clk w209 200komp
i'm very interested anyone has installed an amg steering on a non amg w209 (pre-facelift)?

sorry for my english

i want to put on my non amg clk (year 2003) this steering:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/160637916068?...ht_10623wt_966
Old 10-14-2011, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
We added paddle shift to a NON Paddle shift 209 .....Got a AMG Steering wheel with Alcantara and raised thumbs ..For the Install you will need the contact rings and version code the paddle shift present via SDS
All With the Steve @MBENZNL.com

http://www.mbenznl.nl/index.php?opti...id=28&catid=27
Old 10-14-2011, 06:19 PM

clk w209 200komp
Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
We added paddle shift to a NON Paddle shift 209 .....Got a AMG Steering wheel with Alcantara and raised thumbs ..For the Install you will need the contact rings and version code the paddle shift present via SDS

thanks for your answer

so, if i understand weel i can buy an AMG steering wheels, then what do i do?
sorry but i don't understand well english, what do you mean for "you will need the contact rings" and "version code the paddle shift present via SDS "
Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209

Mark, could you elaborate that a little bit more?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The contact rings go behind the steering wheel and the contact on the steering column for the air bag,controls on the steering wheel,and horn,they must be changed to allow the paddle shift to work,then one must version code the vehicle vis SDS aka Mercedes star diag computer ..paddle shift present

For correct part numbers check the current Mercedes Benz EPC
Old 10-16-2011, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I hinted at having an idea about getting your paddles to work Mikey. I'll be taking my wheel off again after I het my car back and when I do I'll get you the part number off the contact ring.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
That's exactly what I was thinking when I hinted at having an idea about getting your paddles to work Mikey. I'll be taking my wheel off again after I het my car back and when I do I'll get you the part number off the contact ring.
Perfect Kev!
Old 10-16-2011, 12:11 PM

clk w209 200komp
The contact rings go behind the steering wheel and the contact on the steering column for the air bag,controls on the steering wheel,and horn,they must be changed to allow the paddle shift to work,then one must version code the vehicle vis SDS aka Mercedes star diag computer ..paddle shift present

For correct part numbers check the current Mercedes Benz EPC
thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Just a reminder
Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mikata
Just a reminder
You and your reminders...

Got a few things to do before I get around to taking the wheel off again, I won't forget.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
You and your reminders...

Got a few things to do before I get around to taking the wheel off again, I won't forget.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 Mercedes CLK63 AMG
OK guys sorry to revive an old-ish thread, but I'm making a deal with a guy to get the parts I need for the install. I already have the steering wheel but it's missing everything else.

So from what I understand I need:

-Paddles
-Module for paddle cables to go in
-Contact ring

Will a contact ring of an SL work for a CLK?