CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cold Weather Programming???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet
Cold Weather Programming???

After 3 winters with my cab, I jump in and start it yesterday and it struggles badly. Finally, after cranking and sputtering for ~~10-15sec, it catches but feels like it's on 4-5 cylinders. On comes the Check Engine light. It's a CPO care with 93,000mi, so I decide to try and make it the 50mi to work where my dealer is located. At highway speeds it still feels like it's on 5cyl. At idle it runs extremely rough.

So I get it to the dealer and head off to work. A few hours later, I get the call that the car is all set. They tell me it needed to be programmed for cold weather! When I remend them that I've had the car for 3 winters now, without a single issue, they tell me that sometimes the programming gets messed up and needs to be re-downloaded? I'm no mechanic, but this sounds like a stretch to me! In any case the documentation from the service tech basically said the same thing......

I must admit, if my clk was not a CPO car, it would have been on the trading block long ago. I have yet to make it between service intervals, without having an unscheduled dealer visit. Nothing major has occured, but without the 100k warranty, I would have racked up a pretty penny in unscheduled visits. I've never been so torn with any previous car I've owned. Every time I get behind the wheel and drive the car, I fall in love with it all over again. Then, some warning light or message pops up and I want to dump it tomorrow! Love - Hate!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK500; 07 Volvo XC90
Is that what the mechanic told you .. 'winter programming'? It is the first for me. I own many cars and never came across the 'winter programming' mode.