CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dead Engine Fried Head

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
Glad to see you are making progress man. Gotta love your passion for the CLK.

Best wishes again i will keep reading this thread
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
I wonder where's pacboy22. I'm still waiting on him to buy his parts.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK500
hey klinh im still here man , i asked you if you wanted me to check for you up until where the exhaust is cut,either you answered me and i misunderstood or vice versa, i know the exhaust has been modified i have the original from the manifold the primary cats with the pipes that lead to where the secondaries where, i dont remember if the secondaries where cut where the y pipe were so i can just unbolt it for you or if they were cut before the point where they bolt up my question to you was if they are cut to the point where the secondaries where but now where they bolted like they were just cut and welded do u stilll want it or do you want it only if it goes from the manifold and unbolts from where the secondaries used to be let me know so i can get under the car and take a look man.?

And please klinh telll me which 02 engine would i be better of with because the 02 clk had 342hp and the 02 e55 had 355 and the s55 has 362 i believe would either one of them be fine .. im also gettin replacement bulbs for the headlights i have the d2s bulbs now and they suck i dont know why no matter how much i adjust cant seem to get a decent output. should i get the d1s maybe ? thanks klinh let me know ill check tomorrow morning for you no problem at all .
Old 01-18-2011, 01:18 AM

2003 CLK500
yea man this car has givin me so many problems, i refuse to give up on it lol, especially since im learning to be a technician and want to open a shop in the future specializing in benzes. Im 23 and i might be getting in over my head but hey you live once and cars are my passion and if i want to build the baddest clk in my neighborhood you know i really did alot and i dont plan on handing it over to somebody on a silver platter i rather keep it in the garage for a month or so until its fully ready you know. And after im done i have a friend whos willing to repaint my whole car and clear coat, to give it that new car look and ill be set, i wanna do all black stealthy everything besides the headlights lol
Old 01-18-2011, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pacboy22
hey klinh im still here man , i asked you if you wanted me to check for you up until where the exhaust is cut,either you answered me and i misunderstood or vice versa, i know the exhaust has been modified i have the original from the manifold the primary cats with the pipes that lead to where the secondaries where, i dont remember if the secondaries where cut where the y pipe were so i can just unbolt it for you or if they were cut before the point where they bolt up my question to you was if they are cut to the point where the secondaries where but now where they bolted like they were just cut and welded do u stilll want it or do you want it only if it goes from the manifold and unbolts from where the secondaries used to be let me know so i can get under the car and take a look man.? .

Man....I e-mailed you with the link of pictures how I want the parts. Here's the link again..........

https://mbworld.org/forums/test/382077-test.html
Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And please klinh telll me which 02 engine would i be better of with because the 02 clk had 342hp and the 02 e55 had 355 and the s55 has 362 i believe would either one of them be fine .. im also gettin replacement bulbs for the headlights i have the d2s bulbs now and they suck i dont know why no matter how much i adjust cant seem to get a decent output. should i get the d1s maybe ? thanks klinh let me know ill check tomorrow morning for you no problem at all .

I think the 362 hp started in 2003. If you haven't find a shop that can do this mods on their own, then I think you shouldn't take on the project.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by Klinh
I think the 362 hp started in 2003. If you haven't find a shop that can do this mods on their own, then I think you shouldn't take on the project.

+1000
Old 01-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V8, Flat 6, V6, & Turbo flat 4
My main concern is getting an engine that works and fits plug and play
If this is your main concern then I'd stick with a new 5.0 motor, because once you get into the project what seemed like plug and play is more of a rat nest than you thought.
I am working on a project car and all I can tell you is I hope you have a lot of patience. Things will go wrong that you didn't expect, but you will need to accept since it will be a project car. And everything always ends up costing more than you expected.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by kostas86
If this is your main concern then I'd stick with a new 5.0 motor, because once you get into the project what seemed like plug and play is more of a rat nest than you thought.
I am working on a project car and all I can tell you is I hope you have a lot of patience. Things will go wrong that you didn't expect, but you will need to accept since it will be a project car. And everything always ends up costing more than you expected.

Very true words!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 PM

2003 CLK500
Klinh got the link but as i told you from the begining that i do not have the secondary cats i had them removed along with the mufflers cause i have quad exhaust setup i have the primary cats from the manifold to where the secondaries used to sit its cut and welded. I hear what your saying guys thats true i understand that it may not be literally plug and play like drop it in and turn the key, my cars already been in the garage for 2 weeks and if it has to be extra 2-3 weeks to make things right no problem fine i have a shop that would know what they are doing. i know the 362 started in 03 and thats the engine that would be more of a plug and play then anything else but its also hard to find and comes close to price of an e55k engine from the searches ive done.

The reason why i said the 02 engine because in the clk the 02 is 342 hp. but in the s, cl for example is 355 i believe and in the e as well. So i was wondering if thats the case and theres merely a small hp difference then why would i go nuts looking for an 03 engine in the 4000 -5000 dollar range when i can get the 02 with 7 hp less for about 2500 with decent mileage you know i just wasnt sure if it was compatible, since the other 55s are one year older thats all if its a matter of small programming issue then thats not a problem, some reasearch led me to believe that since the power difference from the 500 to 55na is not so significant that the ecu on its own will adapt to the power change although not sure how true that is. If all is well then yea ill get the 02 55 engine if not then you guys are right im better of getting a very low mileage 500 engine with like 20-40k on it and take of the primary cats since im removing the engine, change out the headers since ill save money on the 55 engine and do the ecu tune and maybe the crank pully not to sure about that though. Both routes are fine i just really want that 55 engine be it a 02 03 04 05 year you know im very persistint and i plan on keeping this car for a while. Thanks again guys!!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=pacboy22;4470468]Klinh got the link but as i told you from the begining that i do not have the secondary cats i had them removed along with the mufflers cause i have quad exhaust setup i have the primary cats from the manifold to where the secondaries used to sit its cut and welded. QUOTE]

Don't worry about the secondary cat. Just get me the whole pipe both side unbolt from the manifold down pass the y-pipe. The years of the engine does really matter since not much hp different.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
V8, Flat 6, V6, & Turbo flat 4
I hear what your saying guys thats true i understand that it may not be literally plug and play like drop it in and turn the key, my cars already been in the garage for 2 weeks and if it has to be extra 2-3 weeks to make things right no problem fine i have a shop that would know what they are doing. i know the 362 started in 03 and thats the engine that would be more of a plug and play then anything else but its also hard to find and comes close to price of an e55k engine from the searches ive done.

The reason why i said the 02 engine because in the clk the 02 is 342 hp. but in the s, cl for example is 355 i believe and in the e as well. So i was wondering if thats the case and theres merely a small hp difference then why would i go nuts looking for an 03 engine in the 4000 -5000 dollar range when i can get the 02 with 7 hp less for about 2500 with decent mileage you know i just wasnt sure if it was compatible, since the other 55s are one year older thats all if its a matter of small programming issue then thats not a problem, some reasearch led me to believe that since the power difference from the 500 to 55na is not so significant that the ecu on its own will adapt to the power change although not sure how true that is. If all is well then yea ill get the 02 55 engine if not then you guys are right im better of getting a very low mileage 500 engine with like 20-40k on it and take of the primary cats since im removing the engine, change out the headers since ill save money on the 55 engine and do the ecu tune and maybe the crank pully not to sure about that though. Both routes are fine i just really want that 55 engine be it a 02 03 04 05 year you know im very persistint and i plan on keeping this car for a while. Thanks again guys!!!!!
Well at first it sounded like cost was a concern so that is why everyone recommended to stay away from doing engine swaps for the AMG motor. Just remember, you can get the car running and all that but doesn't mean issues aren't gonna pop up after driving it around. Plus if you're going with a higher mileage AMG motor, expect the maintenance on that as well. Also is this your daily driver? If so, I do not recommend your project car being your daily driver.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Klinh got the link but as i told you from the begining that i do not have the secondary cats i had them removed along with the mufflers cause i have quad exhaust setup i have the primary cats from the manifold to where the secondaries used to sit its cut and welded. I hear what your saying guys thats true i understand that it may not be literally plug and play like drop it in and turn the key, my cars already been in the garage for 2 weeks and if it has to be extra 2-3 weeks to make things right no problem fine i have a shop that would know what they are doing. i know the 362 started in 03 and thats the engine that would be more of a plug and play then anything else but its also hard to find and comes close to price of an e55k engine from the searches ive done.

I am almost positive that when it comes to engine swaps, this is not the case.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:47 AM

2003 CLK500
thanks for the input guys i have a pending sale on an 02 55 engine ispoke to AMS as well and he assured me it would not be a problem it would be plug and play eventually ecu tune will be in order everything else is fine cause there all m113 engines i have a van to get around and old chevy express but gets me around so times isnt a major concern but a little concern so year isnt a problem which is great everything else is fine thanks for all your help guys hopefully will ge the engine shipped this week im trying to part out my engine or sell it as a whole i dont know which is better to get my costs back, what do you guys think keep stock 02 airbox or get th 55k airbox or 03+ airbox..Thanks again guys for all your help hey dynomite will i be able to contact you on some part numbers for airbox, sway bars and stuff?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Not a problem, let me know. Good luck.