CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dead Engine Fried Head

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK500
Dead Engine Fried Head

Whatsup guys i havent been here in a while, but once again bad news. As some of you know we had a big snow storm in NY, and i have a 2003 Clk500 88k Miles. I waited till 80% of the snow was plowed and melted before i even thought of moving my car and changed my 19s to 18s with all season tires.

On my way home i hit an ice patch and i had to turn of ESP to get out of it, so i sat there rocking the car back and forth and redline the car a few times by accident and frustration and the visit workshop sign went on but i wasnt sure at that point why that had happened. So i see smoke coming out of the hood, so i open the hood and looks like somehow the belt ripped of and coolant leaked out and the car overheated. So i went out next day purchased a belt installed it myself and poured coolant and the car cranked but didnt turn over, so i had the car towed to the shop and after inspecting it they concluded that my head got overheated and fried the piston rings and seals everything basically got fked checked compression it was like 20 psi i think and they said it should be like minimum 100 or something of that sort.

Basically they said i would have to have the top redone on both sides and possibly the bottom end fixed which with labor would run me minimum two grand. Being that im a student and that it is alot of money for me to shell out and it would take me time to do so, i figured my engine has 90k miles pretty much ripped and old already and the 100k service mark coming up with all the sparkplugs and tune ups. I need help to figure out from you pros which one of my three options would be best. Do i report this to insurance company and they will fix it for me and my premiums will go up or they wont cover that damage because they will say a new engine will cost to much ?

Option 1. Fix it and spend about 2-3grand minimum on an engine that has 90k miles and is already seen its fair share of ripping and leaks and possible more repairs down the line and the major service coming up

Option 2 Ebay has cheap engines from totalled cars for the 5.0 engines with mileage ranging from 20k - 70k for about 3-4 grand with shipping and i get an engine with little miles and not need the major service for a while and still half its life and wont have to worry about it breaking cause of the overheating problems i had.

Option 3. If i can find a salvaged Clk55 and take the engine out of there be it with 70k miles for 500-1000 dollars more then the 500 engine should i go that route since i heard the clk55 since they are not super charged it will mate up with my current tranny not ecu reprograms needed except for tranny probably but ill have a more powerful engine since that type of money needs to be spend might as well save a little more and get better.

What do you guys think rather get the 500 engine and thats it get it over with one with low mileage.. or try to find a 55 engine with slightly higher mileage between 50k-75k for a couple hundred more or is it more then im thinking in terms of bolting up and and reprograming or is it drop in and start like plug and play and enjoy the extra power. All this might take me a month or two to save up since im in this problem already i might as well do it right and good and make sure i dont make a mistake. What would you guys do in my shoes the car is still financed i cant sell it ill owe on it. Thanks alot in advance guys for all your help i know its been a while since i posted i need urgent help. Btw an engine from an 02 clk55 the one with 342hp as opposed to the 0355 with 362 will it bolt right up with the current tranny to without any reprograming or is it a headache in a half.
thanks again guys you always helpe me make the right decision

im sorry guys i just realized another option would it be to big of a hassle to perhaps take one out from a
c32 v6 engine pretty quick supercharged or stupid idea to much work or better of making a 55k engine work i heard all i would really need is engine because there both m113 engine and we have same wire harness and tranny is same just needs tcu reprogrammed what else would i need done if tha route was a possibility i know im asking alot of questions. im gonna do alot of reading and searching and hopefully be able to answer a few of my own questions thanks guys.

Last edited by pacboy22; 01-03-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: left something out
Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
CLS550 4Matic
i am sorry to hear that man.
I cant give you a wise advice on this issue but i am bumping this thread for you so someone can assist you better.

My car has been in the shop since Friday i know how it feels.

Best luck to you man hope you fix this asap
Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 AM

2003 CLK500
thanks alot brother appreciate the quick reply i hope somebody can help me make a wise decision just a 23 year old that put my blood sweat and tears into it every last penny cant afford to make anymore mistakes you know, Thanks in advance
Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 AM

2003 CLK500
i forgot to mention that the whole engine is not damaged so i was thinking of maybe in order to make some money to help me buy this new engine i might be able to sell the engine and misc parts for somebody looking to rebuild or whatnot or parts.. water pump is practically new got it in april of 2010 alternater is good steering pump is good belt is good ac compressor is good stufff like that might help me make some money quicker to buy my new engine. Thanks again
Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Sorry to hear about your luck, or lack there of...

Purely from the point of economics, if you are going to keep the car drop another M113 5.0 in it. If cash wasn't tight I'd definately be looking at the 55 swap in, but you'll be spending more on the swap than just dropping it in and turning a key.

Again, sorry to hear the news but I'm sure you're going to be just fine in the end mate.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
sorry to hear that bro...
but if i were u .. i would buy a new engine ... good luck
Old 01-03-2011, 09:21 PM

2003 CLK500
Thanks for all the reply guys but kevwood dropping a 55 engine not the super charged one the standard one why would that be a problem its the same m113 same harness same tranny technically it should be plug and play i understand the 55k would be a big deal on the other hand,... can anyone coment on this maybe ? Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 PM

I drive the racism out of BadDebt. ;)
tough call, it all depends on your budget. We all want the 55 motor; it may cost 3-4000...which is 2x more that your fixing price.....but you also haven't factored in the labour costs and repairing broken electrical items from transportation/removal.

btw; my alternator **** the bed lastnight; and I now know that your car will drive for about 3 mins before the ABS;BAS;ESP turns off; then its about 3 more minutes before your bi-xenons and hazard lights quit. Oh btw, you cant shift out of first gear too....FML......AAA has really nice flatbed towtrucks...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Good to know AAA has flatbeds. You say 3-4k for a 55 motor?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 AM

2003 CLK500
Damn man yea thats some bad luck ,,so look lets say motor 3-4 k and asides from all u said the fixing for the transportation but i will pick up it locally lets say, and the labor cost i have a buddy that ows a shop and he will install it cheap. With that said is it simple plug and play will mate up to my transmission and will work with my ecu and the ecu will automatically adjust for the proper adjustments is that what im understanding since its not a 55k engine. If thats the case i can let it prob sit in the garage a little longer and maybe might as well since im keeping the car.

Im not sure if you know anything about the 02 55 motor would that work plug and play as well. And last question shortly i have a guy that has a 55k motor and tranny ecu and radiator the whole nine yards he said he has everything. If more money would come and i decide to keep it even longer garage what do you think what parts would i need for it and does it take a special tech to do anything because my friend is not a specialst at all that computer programming. So i want to know if it would be worth the labor time if i had to go to a specialty shop. Im sure it would be a very rewarding drive since i already have the handling dept good bilstein hd shocks hr spings hr sways clk55 rotors and stainless steel brake lines and 18 inch rims.

thanks for the replies guys exuse the grammer
Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 AM

2003 CLK500
btw i made a for sale ad with all the things im selling so you guys can take a look see if you find something you need...and im still waiting to ssee if anybody can provide me with that answer throw in a 5.5na engine from a 2003 clk 55 will be plug and play and exactly everything i need, and im getting great deals on the 02 clk55 engine with low miles that would be an option to me to if its plug and play if somebody can chime in thanks guys

Last edited by pacboy22; 01-05-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: left out info
Old 01-05-2011, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by pacboy22
im still waiting to ssee if anybody can provide me with that answer throw in a 5.5na engine from a 2003 clk 55 will be plug and play and exactly everything i need, and im getting great deals on the 02 clk55 engine with low miles that would be an option to me to if its plug and play if somebody can chime in thanks guys

You need to read these thread. I'm sure he can help you. Btw, I responsed to your ad post. Make it happen for me.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls55-amg...installed.html
Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Good post Klinh, I was positive that the 55K ECU wouldn't accept the 7sp (had a PM debate over this), guess I was right. Now, I wonder if there would be issues involving the 55 NA ECU...? Logic dictates that it would not but I certainly wouldn't stand by that statement.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 PM

2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
danggg that sucks
Old 01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kevwood
Good post Klinh, I was positive that the 55K ECU wouldn't accept the 7sp (had a PM debate over this), guess I was right. Now, I wonder if there would be issues involving the 55 NA ECU...? Logic dictates that it would not but I certainly wouldn't stand by that statement.

There's no doubt about E55K ECU not except the 7 speed because there's 2 extra gears and the E55K ECU only see 5 gears. As for the 55 NA ECU, since it an na engine, why even go the route of using 55 na ECU when you can just tuned the stock 500 ECU for more fuel. If the tunes max out on fuel then just install the 55 na injectors and fuel pump. Just treat these mods at you would bored out the 5.0 engine to 5.5 engine and tuned the stock ECU. If you use the 55na ECU, you would have to get the complete ignition system too because the key, ignition are mated to the ECU from factory. Unless the tuner know how to decodes the codes.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 PM

2003 CLK500
Hey Klinh thanks for the link it was very helpful, so from what i understood the guy bought evereything from the engine with all wiring accessories pumps pullies oil coolers and heat exchange and dropped it in... but what i dont understand is they say the ecu is coded to each car so in this case i would use the ecu from the 55k so there would be no need for and reprogramming if its using the 55k motors ecu since its setup properly, and as far the he said he needs the 5 speed tranny our clks the pre 2005 have the 5 spd not 7 spd if i did what he did buy the engine with all pullies pumps accessories wiring ecu oil cooler heat exchanger and just drop it in will it work without any programming to engine or tranny since i have the 5 spd or will i eventually need to toss it out for an amg tranny since the power will kill it, but if it will work temporarily then its no problem thats fine and it almost seems like plug and play, Second questions if i dont have that option or get a good buy on the engine complete cause it can get pretty expensive buying everything seperately the pumps and coolers and heat exhanger and ecu ...but i do get a good buy on a 55 na motor wouldnt that just make life so much easier like literally plug and play literally down to the wiring harness since theres no supercharger i wouldnt need any extra oil coolers or heat exchange or worry about supercharger and i prob wouldnt even have to touch the ecu mine will adapt on its own but worst comes to worst ill get the one from that engine because at the end of the day if i get a good deal on a 55na motor i have all accessories pumps which are practically new and wont need changing simply remove and reinstall new engine will mate up with my tranny no problems and my wire harness no problem if not ill make sure to get the wiring and slowly work my way up with mods because i plan on modding anyways. so what do you thnk do i make sence here ? and i guess nobody was really able to answer the other question about the 02 55na motor.. ? btw i replied to your post at the want ad... Thanks again man
Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
We need some commas on your post pacboy22.

Andy
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 PM

2003 CLK500
oh ok looks like we posted at the same time o just use my own ecu and get a tune and let them know i have a 55engine installed and theyll optimize it for that and worse comes to worse get the injectors and ill be good in order not to get the whole ignition system got you., and i can use my current wiring harness to? .and as far as the tranny will that start up no problem even though it would need replacing eventually or would that need coding as well if not.. then ill get the na 55 use my stock ecu get a good tuning company to maximize af ration like u said and then get fuel pump and injectors and ill be set and spend half the money and have half the head ache. your the man Klinh

Last edited by pacboy22; 01-05-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: left out
Old 01-05-2011, 11:32 PM

2003 CLK500
im very sorry about my poor grammar guys i really am.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
"...." is fine LOL.

Andy
Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pacboy22
oh ok looks like we posted at the same time o just use my own ecu and get a tune and let them know i have a 55engine installed and theyll optimize it for that and worse comes to worse get the injectors and ill be good in order not to get the whole ignition system got you., and i can use my current wiring harness to? .and as far as the tranny will that start up no problem even though it would need replacing eventually or would that need coding as well if not.. then ill get the na 55 use my stock ecu get a good tuning company to maximize af ration like u said and then get fuel pump and injectors and ill be set and spend half the money and have half the head ache. your the man Klinh

Since you still use stock ECU, there should not be any problem with your TCU. The only physical different out side of the engine that I can see between an 500 and 55 na engine is the oil cooler. You will need the front mount oil cooler. In reality, the 55 na engine is not much different then just bored from 5.0 to 5.4 liters with high performance/stronger components like crank, pistons, rings, valve springs...etc. Btw, can you drop me an e-mail for your asking price on the part since you the seller? Thanks.

Last edited by Klinh; 01-06-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM

2003 CLK500
So i found an amazing deal on an 02 clk55 engine and after days of reading it seems very possible just like the 03 clk55 na engine with slightly more power..both 02 clk55 and 03 clk 55 are m113 and from what i read is that the stock ecu from my car will adapt on its own to the stronger engine..the only thing that stood out to me is what Klinh said get the 03 engine and retune the ecu and if anything get the larger fuel injectors ..if the engine adapts on its own why retune the ecu unless i want to for more gains, as long as it will technically work without the tune but if money is an issue for now after buying an engine a 1000 dollar tune will hurt the pockets.

My main concern is getting an engine that works and fits plug and play, so as long as the engine from the 02 55s will work without a tune adapt on its own, i can live with that untill i collect more money because car is in the garage now with no purpose. Drop the engine in and drive and along the lines a week or 2 after i can get the tune to get the maximum achievable gains and get the injectors. Last question is all my accessories will bolt on properly right water pumps pullies with no problem right? if so im one step closer to a 55 engine because i was under the impression i can use an 03 and up which would run minimum 4500 dollars. but i can get the 02 for about 3000

Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Things aren't always that cut and dry. Make sure you have someone who knows what they're doing.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
If I was still in college, I'd sell the clk with the damage motor for what I can get, and roll that money over into something economical. Then get back in the game as a grad present to myself.

Surround yourself with as much college tang as possible to get over your loss
Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 PM

2003 CLK500
Well problem is its still under finance and i have labor covered and i plan on keeping the car since i had 2 clk 430s and sold them and a new altima and an is350 and crown vics you know other beater cars never kept one for longer then 6 months. Since i put so much money already into this car and blood sweat and tears literally, the whole cars suspension is changed, and exhaust and tranny pretty much rebuild, whole braking system is new from clk55 (same year). Being that i have the labor covered it no problem all i need is the engine and good from there and i will finish paying the car off and keep it on the side get a daily driver something cheap and economical to get to work and back, and make this one the track ready one. I would really like to see this work and no way after all the money was put into it will i let it go, just did alot of reading and to my understanding 02 clk55 engines fit our cars and adapt perfectly, so i will get that and do the chip and stuff slowly along the line just as long as it drives for now.

i just hope im not making a mistake, nobody has said anything about it not working since my car is an 03 and thats an 02 engine i dont mind spending 500 -750 dollars more to get an 02 55 engine rather then 1500-2000 more for an 03 55 engine which are actually rare to find even at said price, its easier to find the 55k engines for some reason in the 7k area but theres to much headache involved in that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead Engine Fried Head