CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Originally Posted by Kevwood
Did you buy the amp new? If so, go back to the store and ask them to open up another box and give you the harness. If you didn't buy it new, stop off at a few install shops and ask them if any of the installers have a harness in their box you could buy - installers are collectors mate and if memory serves me correctly, a lot of audio brands use the same plug style as that one for the line level harness. I'm positive that with a little leg work, you'll find a few of them
I bought the amp on eBay so yes it's used . I will stop by a few audio shop today see if they have it . In the worst case , what if they don't have it ? Can we custom it or any other way to make it work ? Also , I have no clue how to remove the deck lid to see the stock subs ... Anyone knows how ? Or should I just go straight to the stock amp and tap it ? Which wires ? I appreciate for all the info Kev .
Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
I bought the amp on eBay so yes it's used . I will stop by a few audio shop today see if they have it . In the worst case , what if they don't have it ? Can we custom it or any other way to make it work ? Also , I have no clue how to remove the deck lid to see the stock subs ... Anyone knows how ? Or should I just go straight to the stock amp and tap it ? Which wires ? I appreciate for all the info Kev .
Before I answer (and I will), what are you using the amp for? I presumed you are going to use it to power an aftermarket sub, no?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
A single 12" JL. I know the amp has too much power but i will upgrade the sub later but right now lets jsut stick with that.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K

Some instructions here if they could help. I am still waiting on the new WIS, so I don't have access to check.

http://w209forums.com/showthread.php...all-Rear-Shelf
Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
One more thing, somebody told me i have two stock subs ( H&K system) . Can anyone confirm that ? Bose has 1 ? I do see two two grille in the back of the deck lid ..is that mean i have two then ?

Andy
Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by dynomite05
Some instructions here if they could help. I am still waiting on the new WIS, so I don't have access to check.

http://w209forums.com/showthread.php...all-Rear-Shelf
That would help alot Wes . Thanks .

Andy
Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
A single 12" JL. I know the amp has too much power but i will upgrade the sub later but right now lets jsut stick with that.
The sub will only output too much power (max & rms) is you have the gain turned up, just keep it toned down and you'll be fine.

Next question - are you putting the sub in a box or mounting it in the factory sub location (aka, removing the factory sub)?
Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One more thing, somebody told me i have two stock subs ( H&K system) . Can anyone confirm that ? Bose has 1 ? I do see two two grille in the back of the deck lid ..is that mean i have two then ?

Andy
HK has one, I have the same system.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
The sub will only output too much power (max & rms) is you have the gain turned up, just keep it toned down and you'll be fine.

Next question - are you putting the sub in a box or mounting it in the factory sub location (aka, removing the factory sub)?
It will be in a seal box. I will have to keep that in mind .

Edit: im about to leave the house to check on that "harness". Lets just hope they have it .

Andy
Old 01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It will be in a seal box. I will have to keep that in mind .

Andy
Okay, here's what ya do - locate the wires that were previously mentioned that power the sub amp, locate them at the factory HK amp. Cut the wires a few inches from the amp (so you can easily re-atach them when you sell the car) and extend them to where your amp aftermarket amp is going to be located. You are doing this to 1; feed the amp a signal 2; disconnect the factory sub - different subs and different enclosures has different dampening rates, mixing them usually sounds like a$$. Now, all you do is connect the extended sub wires to the line level input harness - since you have a left and right input and a mono (single) feed, you just tie (twist) the left and right positives together and the left and right negatives together on the harness to make one connection each, then you terminate that to the feed leads.

If you can't find a harness to fit the plug on the amp, you still have no problem, this is a trick we've all done before and it works just the same. Take some small barrel connectors and gently crimp one end down a little at a time and slip it over the line level in pin until you have a nice tight fit (you'll have to slip it on and remove it and use a gentle crimp a few times to get it nice and snug), then fit your twisted pairs into the other end of the barrel connector and give it a tight crimp. Voila! You just put together a home made harness. Plug the barrel connectors into the correct places and put a bead of silicone around them - doing this 'glues' them to the amp so they wont accidentally fall out but they can still easily be removed later.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Okay, here's what ya do - locate the wires that were previously mentioned that power the sub amp, locate them at the factory HK amp. Cut the wires a few inches from the amp (so you can easily re-atach them when you sell the car) and extend them to where your amp aftermarket amp is going to be located. You are doing this to 1; feed the amp a signal 2; disconnect the factory sub - different subs and different enclosures has different dampening rates, mixing them usually sounds like a$$. Now, all you do is connect the extended sub wires to the line level input harness - since you have a left and right input and a mono (single) feed, you just tie (twist) the left and right positives together and the left and right negatives together on the harness to make one connection each, then you terminate that to the feed leads.

If you can't find a harness to fit the plug on the amp, you still have no problem, this is a trick we've all done before and it works just the same. Take some small barrel connectors and gently crimp one end down a little at a time and slip it over the line level in pin until you have a nice tight fit (you'll have to slip it on and remove it and use a gentle crimp a few times to get it nice and snug), then fit your twisted pairs into the other end of the barrel connector and give it a tight crimp. Voila! You just put together a home made harness. Plug the barrel connectors into the correct places and put a bead of silicone around them - doing this 'glues' them to the amp so they wont accidentally fall out but they can still easily be removed later.
thats it . Will report back when its done. Hopefully, i can get it done today. AMG airbox and the car are done, i am ready to roll with a new system
Old 01-28-2011, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
haha andy. i have the piece your looking for assuming its universal for all alpine amps. however i believe its at my parents house cuz i had no place to store the boxes at my own. however, there is a slight chance i have it in a bag here too since i did the install here. i will check later today and report back so if you dont find your wires, i got you covered!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

God speed my son! Report back with good news
Old 01-28-2011, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bheng
haha andy. i have the piece your looking for assuming its universal for all alpine amps. however i believe its at my parents house cuz i had no place to store the boxes at my own. however, there is a slight chance i have it in a bag here too since i did the install here. i will check later today and report back so if you dont find your wires, i got you covered!
Sweet!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by tkhuuyip
For me, I have the bose system. The amp is located on the right side of the trunk behind the carpet. So you will have to remove the carpet. I tapped into the Sub, because I tried tapping into the rear speakers, but I didn't get enough bass. For me the wire colors for the sub is brown/purple(+) and brown(-) You can check by removing the deck lid on top of the sub and seeing the wires yourself. On my adapter for the Sub it showed, + - AMP because their was 3 wires. I believe the 2 coloured wires are + and the solid colored wires are -. Hope this helps.
Ok i want to make sure before i cut the wires . He has the bose and i have the H&K are they gona be the same color code ? I really dont want to cut the wrong wires. I read it somewhere 2 coloured wires - not + tho so anyone ?

Kev, do you know anything about those wire colors ?

Wes, do you think you can check on EPC for the color code ? If you need the VIN let me know man.

Andy
Old 01-29-2011, 07:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
EPC won't have that, the WIS will. I don't have access to the WIS right now.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Ok i took the stock amp out already and now i need to know which wires are for the stock sub ? Could anyone please help ? Again, this is H&K system. Here are some pics,
Attached Thumbnails DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0058.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0060.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Ok i already figured it out . For the next person who wants to add aftermarket amp/sub in the future you dont have to get to your factory amp. Just go inside the car and get back to the rear seat and try to find the speaker grille/cover ..the one that says "Harmon&Kardon" logo that is your stock sub (will be on the driver side). There is a connector on the top of the sub (see pics below) just unplug that and tap from there . Now you can either plug back in or leave it out after you tapped it to get the signal. Kev has mentioned leave the stock sub and your aftermarket sub will sound like crap so i didnt plug it back in .

Now the reason it takes me all day to do this because i didnt know there was something wrong with my aftermarket amp ( i never buy a used amp again on ebay ) I hooked up everything but there was no sounds at all ...i kept trying and trying for like 4 hrs but nothing better. I finally went to my honda and get my crappy amp out and test it in the car with the sub and just works fine . Anyway, the color for the sub wires are purple/brown (-) and purple (+). Like i said above you dont have to go to your stock amp but get back to the rear seat and open the cover it is there you can see it.

Alrite i guess thats it for today so tired. Any questions will be answer later but now im fcking starving .
Attached Thumbnails DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0063.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0061.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0065.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0068.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0079.jpg  

DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0076.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good job Andy!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Good to hear you figured it out.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
yea man ...love the sounds now . Im going to need the new amp soon. What do you guys recommend beside Alpine, JL, Kicker ? How about SPL and DD ? Im looking for mono amp.

Andy
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh gee, I wonder what I would recommend...

Dollar for watt they are tough to beat
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
lol not looking for the high dollar one mate but good one

Andy
Old 01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Check this out;

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...iers/KAC-9105D

Monster power for very low cost. The 8150 is also a ton of power and cheaper. Myself and another member on the forum are going to be using their eXcelon digital amps.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
nice amp but how much are we looking for here ?

Andy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU