CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU

Ok this is where i get stuck...I ran the power wire from the front battery to the trunk already and i got the remote wire tapped to the fuse 14 in the rear fuse box ( driver side) and now i need to know whether i need to buy the Hi/Lo converter or i just need to get the signals from the rear speakers (L + R) and connect to my Hi input ( see my amp pic below) . I guess the third option is to tap into the stock sub then ? if so, how to access to that stock sub ?

Thanks in advance guys,

Andy
Attached Thumbnails DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0049.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0042.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0040.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0041.jpg   DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0044.jpg  

DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU-img_0048.jpg  

Last edited by M-bENZ; 01-27-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
nice amp. alpine 500watt?

so the third option would be easiest to do. however, getting the rear sub out is a pita. so i would rule this out and get the hi lo converter

the next option, i think would be getting the hi/lo converter and tapping from a current speaker source. and if im not mistaken, the signal from the converter is in RCA plugs so you can easily plug it into the amp afterwards

i would PM marcusF or jbondox to ask for a quicker response. jbondox works in high end car audio, and i believe marcusF does too. he has this long write up about hi/lo converters too way back when i did research for car audio
Old 01-27-2011, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Thanks bheng and the amp is Alpine 1000watts . Ok let's just say I will get the Hi/Lo converter and how do I access to the stock sub ? I have looked earlier there is no way I can get to that ... Everything is covered up . Actually I only see the rear speakers up in the deck but don't see the sub .

Edit : can I do this get one of the RCA cable and cut one end then connect that to the rear speakers ? I guess I'm converting the speaker wires to RCA plug .

Last edited by M-bENZ; 01-27-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Thanks bheng and the amp is Alpine 1000watts . Ok let's just say I will get the Hi/Lo converter and how do I access to the stock sub ? I have looked earlier there is no way I can get to that ... Everything is covered up . Actually I only see the rear speakers up in the deck but don't see the sub .

Edit : can I do this get one of the RCA cable and cut one end then connect that to the rear speakers ? I guess I'm converting the speaker wires to RCA plug .

i would try to tap the signal from an existing speaker and not the sub since its a hard area to reach. you might actually be able to tap the signal from the amp in the rear. i remember that being an option when i was thinking about where to tap the signal from. i remember the w208 section and one of the threads from 2mchar or someone having the color codes for the speaker.

hmm the problem i forsee with the converting of the wires is that your speaker receives both high and low signal, if you just convert the speaker wire to rca, your turning your sub into a giant speaker. i mean it works but its not optimal for the sub. im not sure if its bad or not. the hi/lo converter allows you to weed out the signals thus giving your sub the low ones for the b-b-b-b-bass LOL. sorry had to do that.

EDIT: now that i think about it. im sure you can tap the hi/lo converter to the stock amp in order to convert the signal to the sub.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Lol . Do u have any pics where I can find the stock amp and which wires should I tap it to ? And why not not tap directly to the two rear speakers ?

Edit : what about my Hi Level Input ? Can I use that but I don't have that plug for the amp and where do u think I can get it ?

Last edited by M-bENZ; 01-27-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Lol . Do u have any pics where I can find the stock amp and which wires should I tap it to ? And why not not tap directly to the two rear speakers ?

Edit : what about my Hi Level Input ? Can I use that but I don't have that plug for the amp and where do u think I can get it ?
the stock amp should be located on the right side of the trunk. sorry no pics cuz i took that thing out when i did my audio install. as for the wires, that im not too sure, i would imagine just any one of the speakers. i'll try looking for that list that 2mchar put up.

you can tap it directly to the two rears. i just figured since the amp is already back there, you could tap it to the source rather than opening up your door to tap it to the speakers.

as for your high level input, im not too certain, never used it in my life. haha that your gonna have to do research on like a car audio forum.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by bheng
the stock amp should be located on the right side of the trunk. sorry no pics cuz i took that thing out when i did my audio install. as for the wires, that im not too sure, i would imagine just any one of the speakers. i'll try looking for that list that 2mchar put up.

you can tap it directly to the two rears. i just figured since the amp is already back there, you could tap it to the source rather than opening up your door to tap it to the speakers.

as for your high level input, im not too certain, never used it in my life. haha that your gonna have to do research on like a car audio forum.
wait i thought the two rear speakers are sitting on the top of the deck ? lol

I will try to locate the amp in the trunk tomorrow and see if i can figure out the wires.

Andy
Old 01-27-2011, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
wait i thought the two rear speakers are sitting on the top of the deck ? lol

I will try to locate the amp in the trunk tomorrow and see if i can figure out the wires.

Andy
ahh. there is only one speaker on the rear deck to my knowledge. and thats the sub. i am not sure how its wired and if its wired to only receive lo signals. you can pull the signal from the speaker in the rear deck but how you get to them...i dont know. when you look at the speaker on the rear deck, isnt there a wire plug that you can pull out? you can try tapping your converter to that one.

best bet is to tap from amp at this point.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by bheng
ahh. there is only one speaker on the rear deck to my knowledge. and thats the sub. i am not sure how its wired and if its wired to only receive lo signals. you can pull the signal from the speaker in the rear deck but how you get to them...i dont know. when you look at the speaker on the rear deck, isnt there a wire plug that you can pull out? you can try tapping your converter to that one.

best bet is to tap from amp at this point.
uh oh i must be blind if you are right...we'll see tomorrow lolz. I hope its a sub so that i can tap directly to that and if thats the case then i dont think i need the Converter right ? cause its a lo signals already.

Andy
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
thats what i was thinking.

and there might be two if you have the h&k system.

bose came with 1.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
I do have H&K system.

Andy
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
I do have H&K system.

Andy

ahh then i stand corrected. you might have subs on both ends.

what sub are you gonna run in the trunk?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
A single 12" JL. And just want to make sure is this the one i need ?

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI35-Adj-...6188564&sr=1-4

or any other better brand out there ? Any suggestions ?

Andy
Old 01-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
W209 Clk55 W140 S500
For me, I have the bose system. The amp is located on the right side of the trunk behind the carpet. So you will have to remove the carpet. I tapped into the Sub, because I tried tapping into the rear speakers, but I didn't get enough bass. For me the wire colors for the sub is brown/purple(+) and brown(-) You can check by removing the deck lid on top of the sub and seeing the wires yourself. On my adapter for the Sub it showed, + - AMP because their was 3 wires. I believe the 2 coloured wires are + and the solid colored wires are -. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by tkhuuyip
For me, I have the bose system. The amp is located on the right side of the trunk behind the carpet. So you will have to remove the carpet. I tapped into the Sub, because I tried tapping into the rear speakers, but I didn't get enough bass. For me the wire colors for the sub is brown/purple(+) and brown(-) You can check by removing the deck lid on top of the sub and seeing the wires yourself. On my adapter for the Sub it showed, + - AMP because their was 3 wires. I believe the 2 coloured wires are + and the solid colored wires are -. Hope this helps.
Ok you have bose system and like bheng said the bose system only have 1 sub and H&K have two sub ? Do you have any idea how to remove the deck lid ? and is there anyway i can access to that in the trunk ? Did you used any Hi/low (line out) converter like the one i posted above ?

I appreciate for the wire colors .

Andy
Old 01-28-2011, 07:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Andy, just use the high-level inputs on the amp, you don't need to buy a line-level converter, the amp has one built in. Use the wires that 'tkhuuyip' mentioned because they are already passing the low pass signal, a lot of the bass is already removed from the leads going to the door speakers and the HK system with a factory sub.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
haha well. you learn something new everyday. i didnt even know what that was used for.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
A line level converter taps into the speaker leads and lowers the voltage to an acceptable level for the RCA inputs on the amp. If an amp has a 'line level in', that's what it's doing as well, just taking the signal and using it for the feed. The line level in on amps is better to use than a 3rd party converter as it is built right onto the circut board and is not taking a signal, converting it then sending it back downstream again. It's the same thing as using an HDMI cable at home - you are transporting a pure digital signal to the TV where it is then processed into analog and he all know that an HDMI pass is far superior than a component video pass.

Simple stuff in the end, simple stuff that audio retailers and installers don't want to mention because it can axle the sale of a converter...
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Thanks Kev and if u look at pic 1 what kind of plug is that for the Line Level input ? I didn't have that plug when I bought the amp .
Old 01-28-2011, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did you buy the amp new? If so, go back to the store and ask them to open up another box and give you the harness. If you didn't buy it new, stop off at a few install shops and ask them if any of the installers have a harness in their box you could buy - installers are collectors mate and if memory serves me correctly, a lot of audio brands use the same plug style as that one for the line level harness. I'm positive that with a little leg work, you'll find a few of them
Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
I told you Kev knows his audio, Andy!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I kinda had too! Helps that it was a major hobby/passion/job for years too. Got all my trophies that were in storage sorta set up in my den, man do they ever bring back memories. One whole wall is going to be my car audi wall, the other 3 will each be Flames, Broncos and NASCAR
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Nice little man cave!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exactly! Got my PS2 set up in there too with the new steering wheel and pedal set I got for christmas from the wife. I gotta go get a PS3...
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Yup, it's time. I'm an Xbox man myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY aftermarket Amp/Sub with Stock HU