CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

An interesting conversation with a shop foreman at an MBZ dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 08:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
An interesting conversation with a shop foreman at an MBZ dealer

I had the opportunity to have an informative conversation with a shop foreman of a local MBZ dealership. I asked him about

1 The musty smell from the AC

2 The sulfur smell from the exhaust

3 Slow running clocks

4 Radio sound quality

5 Poor midrange (without using full kickdown) performance

1 There is a new AC intake filter design to prevent excess moisture from entering the system and they are spraying a special coating into the evaporator to prevent mildew after a thorough cleaning of the pan.

2 There is a CD update which will improve a known lean running condition

3 The clock/instr cluster have a seperate battery back up and the battery may not be holding a sufficient charge (command equipped cars car have the clocks syncronized to the satillite nav which allows perfect time)

4 There is a CD update the reduces the temperature of the radio amp etc which are now located in the trunk causing higher temps than normal

5 The CD update for the lean running condition also enhances the performance of the car as stated by MB Tech 208 in a previous post

I also asked about the vibration I'm getting when the engine cooling fan is at high speed, there is no TSB for this but he said it is definitely not normal. I will bring my car in Thursday for all the items mentioned. This dealership said that they are updating all new cars brought in for service for TSB's whether a problem was reported or not as they are trying to keep the driving experience of the customer as pleasurable as possiblegoing forward.

This foreman was on his game and it was a pleasure speaking with someone that was fully aware of all the problems and knew the solutions

Last edited by RJC; 05-06-2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 320
which dealership is this RJC, if you don't mind?
Old 05-07-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E 4matic StationWagon
Or

RJC, or what part of the country are you in?
Old 05-07-2003, 09:52 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ft Lauderdale Florida, MBZ of Ft Lauderdale.

I was at the dealer today and got more info on the AC smell, clock and sulfur smell/intermediate power loss.

The evaporator drain pan is angled back too far and allowing the condensation to build up and not fully drain, a new pan or angle is also part of the fix.

MBZ is aware of slow clocks and is working on a fix, the battery as I reported earlier may not be the latest fix.

The dealer has done the flash update on quite a few cars for the sulfur smell and power loss and they tell me the owners are happy with the results...I'll report more on Fri.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Got more news on the slow running clock issue, according to my dealer there is now a CD update to fix the slow running clock problem.