CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Project Dynavin - audio installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Project Dynavin - audio installation

I contacted Jeff at J&T Distributing and he was able to get one Dynavin DVN-MC2000 head unit shipped from Germany along with his other shipment.

I like the idea of OEM looking unit that should have perfect fit and resemble the OEM look and feel.

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_mc2000.php

The existing head unit and the rest of the audio is quite outdated now. I do not care much about things like navigation (95% of the time I know where I’m going and how to get there and there is always google maps) but I wanted a more modern looking unit along with MP3 playback, voice dialing / Bluetooth phone integration and ipod / USB drive integration. The existing unit has the CD changer in the glove box and a tape deck hidden behind the LCD screen. There is no option to add AUX or iPod connection with out a costly aftermarket PAC style add on. From the sound perspective the setup sounds OK, but nothing to confuse with high end sound. I’m not a fan of Bose both from the sound quality as well as price point perspective. This goes for all of their offerings from home and car audio to their headphones (these are horrible sounding for their cost).

I finally received the unit from Jeff and it looks great. One of the things I was worried about was the illumination as it is shown as deep red on the Dynavin website and our cars are orange. I did not want the car to look like a Christmas tree

The unit arrived with a ton of cables, harness parts and extras. According to Dynavin and Jeff, the harness should be all wired up to allow painless connection to the existing MB connectors. It also includes the PAC type CAN-SWI adapter that should retain some steering wheel control functionality. At this point I’m not clear on the details.

Stock pic

My unit

My car is a 2003 CLK320 that came with the Becker Audio-10 head unit (the tape version), glove box mounted CD changer, Bose amp in the trunk and 2ohm Bose speakers consisting of center, front tweeters, front woofers, rear door full range speakers and one sub in the rear shelf. It utilizes the D2B fiber optic network between the devices.

Here is the awesome Becker Audio-10 unit waiting to be exterminated

My goal is to use the Dynavin DVN-MC2000 head unit, replace the amplifier and all speakers (except the center that will be disabled). I want to minimize the amount of rewiring as much as possible by utilizing as many existing connections from the existing HU to the Bose amp as possible as well as all the existing speaker wiring.

My other goal is to document as best as I can the whole process and all the related details in this thread as well as separate PDF guide to help others that would like to perform similar transplant.

I will append this post with information on the Dynavin HU and farther details on all the aspects of the install soon.

To be continued...

Last edited by dariusf; 05-16-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
I'm very interested in this thread and looking forward to your write-up. Good luck! The only thing I would say so far is that they should have built a unit that has an optional fiber optic out, then it could be a direct head unit swap or part of a full new system.

All to do with keeping the costs down I guess.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kevwood
I'm very interested in this thread and looking forward to your write-up. Good luck! The only thing I would say so far is that they should have built a unit that has an optional fiber optic out, then it could be a direct head unit swap or part of a full new system.

All to do with keeping the costs down I guess.
Thanks, agree to a point as the fiber has very limited function between the HU and the Bose amp. But true, if there was a way for them to reverse engineer the D2B fiber network then they could allow just a replacement of the HU and ability to continue using the existing Bose amp and Bose 2ohm speakers. As it is now one has to replace amp and all the speakers unless one would use a 2ohm capable amp. There would still be issues with cross overs for the front as well as the sub as this is build in to the Bose amp and would have to be handled somehow with the new amp. Also one would have to run power for the new amp as well as the sub line from HU to the amp. The existing HU does not have a line for the sub going to the amp. I will go in to the wiring details in later updates.

Last edited by dariusf; 05-16-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
If you need any help with wiring or cross-overs etc, shoot me a PM, I have a wee bit or car audio experience.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you need any help with wiring or cross-overs etc, shoot me a PM, I have a wee bit or car audio experience.
Thank you for the offer of help. Your reputation is legendary in audio I read many of your posts throwout my research
Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dariusf
Thank you for the offer of help. Your reputation is legendary in audio I read many of your posts throwout my research
Lol, well, hopefully I was able to put something out there that assists member of the community. You certainly sound like you know what your doing anyways.

I was committed to ripping out the whole system and going with a Kenwood eXcelon setup but now I don't know if I want to do that. I've seen some aftermarket head units that are direct plug and play into my factory HK system but there just isn't enough feedback on them yet. Ah hell, in the end I'll probably end up doing a full system anyways - I did buy this car as my last mod toy so I might as well go all the way!

Enough of my jabbering - good luck to you and again, I'm looking forward to reading this thread and updates
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Subscribed for the write up! Good luck!
Old 05-16-2011, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lol, well, hopefully I was able to put something out there that assists member of the community. You certainly sound like you know what your doing anyways.

I was committed to ripping out the whole system and going with a Kenwood eXcelon setup but now I don't know if I want to do that. I've seen some aftermarket head units that are direct plug and play into my factory HK system but there just isn't enough feedback on them yet. Ah hell, in the end I'll probably end up doing a full system anyways - I did buy this car as my last mod toy so I might as well go all the way!

Enough of my jabbering - good luck to you and again, I'm looking forward to reading this thread and updates
I might sound like I know what I'm doing but thats my first car audio not counting limited HU replacement maybe 20 years ago in a Toyota

Well given the limitations of the existing Bose amp and speakers I think its not a bad idea to replace them anyway. In that case compatibility with the D2B network or Command in the newer models, is not that important.

Speaking of Kenwood, I'm thinking about using the Kenwood XR-5S class D amp. Originally I was looking at the Alpine PDX-5 class D but they look the same from the size and specs and the Kenwood is a bit less expansive. I think it might have been you that pointed out the XR-5S as a good option.

Last edited by dariusf; 05-16-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here are the items that were included with my unit:

Last edited by dariusf; 05-16-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
nice, although i don't like the look of the unit...i thought it would be similar to the w211 one or something close to the 05+ w203's..
Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
nice, although i don't like the look of the unit...i thought it would be similar to the w211 one or something close to the 05+ w203's..
there are other options but I would have to change the trim to fit it

http://www.dynavin.com/products/benz.php
Old 05-16-2011, 11:16 PM

2006 Facelift CLK500 Cab-
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, I eventually want to get some sort of screen/gps in my car. Hopefully you'll save me some headaches with this thread haha. Good luck man!
Old 05-16-2011, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
looking at the harness. the install should be very simple in terms of putting HU in the console. the harness given looks just like the adapter i used for my pioneer.

didnt have to splice any wires really and all i needed was the acc wire to splice
Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 AM

Suzuki Burgman Executive
Looks like a fun project cant wait to see the write up.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bheng
looking at the harness. the install should be very simple in terms of putting HU in the console. the harness given looks just like the adapter i used for my pioneer.

didnt have to splice any wires really and all i needed was the acc wire to splice
Yes, I will be posting all the wiring details soon. Have all in my local doc here. Will need to splice in RCA connectors from the existing lines going to the Bose amp for easy hookup to the new amp and run a few extra lines. Replacing the speakers and getting threw the back seat to the trunk looks to be the hardest part.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
there are other options but I would have to change the trim to fit it

http://www.dynavin.com/products/benz.php
Oh ok, I have the e39 BMW version in my Bimmer, not so bad other then the reception issues but Jeff is a cool guy and helpful.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Alexbenz
Oh ok, I have the e39 BMW version in my Bimmer, not so bad other then the reception issues but Jeff is a cool guy and helpful.
radio reception or GPS antenna issues?

Yes, Jeff is great, even with my flood of questions
Old 05-18-2011, 06:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From the looks of it, this is going to be a very easy swap given the included harnesses. Looking forward to see it fitted in the dash and illuminated.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
Yes, I will be posting all the wiring details soon. Have all in my local doc here. Will need to splice in RCA connectors from the existing lines going to the Bose amp for easy hookup to the new amp and run a few extra lines. Replacing the speakers and getting threw the back seat to the trunk looks to be the hardest part.

why dont you run new speaker lines too? lol i used a thicker speaker gauge wire, i think 12guage. totally uncalled for but whatever.

and if you take the screws off from the side of the door facing the trunk, you can pull the clips off of the door leaving only a small gap. from there in the trunk, if you strip the lining theres a foam piece. i took that out, used a line thing, i think my friend told me it was called fish tape. it was basically a line of thin metal. i pushed it through to the opening by the doors, taped the wires i needed to run to the trunk one by one and pulled it to the trunk.

it was the easiest way i could have done it. anyone else with a radio install could chime in as well as to how they ran the wires.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

... used a line thing, i think my friend told me it was called fish tape. it was basically a line of thin metal. i pushed it through to the opening by the doors, taped the wires i needed to run to the trunk one by one and pulled it to the trunk.
That indeed is a fish-tape, it the easies way to do it. I would also recommend running new speaker leads, remember to always run twisted pairs if you budget allows.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

why dont you run new speaker lines too? lol i used a thicker speaker gauge wire, i think 12guage. totally uncalled for but whatever.

and if you take the screws off from the side of the door facing the trunk, you can pull the clips off of the door leaving only a small gap. from there in the trunk, if you strip the lining theres a foam piece. i took that out, used a line thing, i think my friend told me it was called fish tape. it was basically a line of thin metal. i pushed it through to the opening by the doors, taped the wires i needed to run to the trunk one by one and pulled it to the trunk.

it was the easiest way i could have done it. anyone else with a radio install could chime in as well as to how they ran the wires.
Thanks for the info, I also have the WIS trim / seat etc. removal guides. I also have the fish-tape that I use for running networking wires or when wife needs new or move electrical outlets in the house.

Car is right now at the mechanic having Bilstein PSS9 coilovers installed. So after I'm done with that I will focus on the audio install more. Also waiting for the speakers and some wires etc.

Can't wait to get these two things done on the car.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:35 AM

2006 Facelift CLK500 Cab-
That indeed is a fish-tape, it the easies way to do it. I would also recommend running new speaker leads, remember to always run twisted pairs if you budget allows.
Kev- I'm sure you already know this but I'll post it for others.

You can also make your own twisted wires for a clean install with a power drill. Hook up two ends of the wire-put the other two in the drill chuck-twist them up-run them where you want-hook up the other two ends.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
twisted pairs? is that as easy as i think it is lol
Old 05-18-2011, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Twisted pairs? we are talking about a car here next you guys will recommend power line conditioners and static removal devices I will stay with the standard speaker wires. I'm way to lazy to replace all of them.

I talked to Jeff and sounds like the RCA outputs have stronger signal so should have better headroom. And only will need to run two extra pairs of cables

* guilty to have Monster Power HTS3600 power conditioner on my headphone rig
Old 05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jamesbbh
Kev- I'm sure you already know this but I'll post it for others.

You can also make your own twisted wires for a clean install with a power drill. Hook up two ends of the wire-put the other two in the drill chuck-twist them up-run them where you want-hook up the other two ends.
did that many times in the past for all my audio aux power leads.

twisted pairs? is that as easy as i think it is lol
Yes sir it is, just get them wound tight as James explained above, it works like a charm.

Twisted pairs? we are talking about a car here next you guys will recommend power line conditioners and static removal devices I will stay with the standard speaker wires. I'm way to lazy to replace all of them.

I talked to Jeff and sounds like the RCA outputs have stronger signal so should have better headroom. And only will need to run two extra pairs of cables

* guilty to have Monster Power HTS3600 power conditioner on my headphone rig
Now it sounds like we're talking about my home audio setups

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Dynavin - audio installation