CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Project Dynavin - audio installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
I'm not sure how far I will take it but doors for now at least.

I'm wondering on the placement and mounting of the amp. I would prefear not to mount it on the trunk floor and take up room. I was thiking one of the wheel wells, sides of the trunk or mount under the top shelf. The concerns I have is adequate venting as there is one or two fans on the sides. Also how secure it will be with all the shaking the car has.

How did you mount your amp(s)? Did you put any plywood under them?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The footprint for this Class-D 5 channel amp is 9-1/4" x 7-9/16" x 2-3/16"
Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
i mounted my amps on the side by the rear lights. i have one on each side. i will upload pics of them hopefully later today.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bheng
i mounted my amps on the side by the rear lights. i have one on each side. i will upload pics of them hopefully later today.
Awesome, if there was a way to take some pics of the mounting, that would be great. Did you have to fabricate some bracket / metal strips etc?
Old 06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I plan to run the cables today and if that goes well / quick then I will start on taking appart the doors. Well at least the passenger door to start on the dynamat and looking in to the issues with speaker mounting. I'm sure I will have to deal with some fabrication need.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
you shouldnt have to if your speakers are 6.5"

lol funny thing, for me, JL made the coaxials 6.5 and the components "6.5" but really it was 6.75 so i had to fab a mount for it however, if they are true 6.5, they should fit no problem in the existing mounts
Old 06-08-2011, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bheng
you shouldnt have to if your speakers are 6.5"

lol funny thing, for me, JL made the coaxials 6.5 and the components "6.5" but really it was 6.75 so i had to fab a mount for it however, if they are true 6.5, they should fit no problem in the existing mounts
Well thats what they say on the specs so we will see. Had a busy day with work so might not get to the wires today
Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yesterday I started to take the rear and trunk trim apart.

The trunk was easy going besides some stubborn bolts for the plastic cover on the bottom of the rear of the trunk. WD40 helped to loosen them up.

The rear side panels are a major pain to remove. Was going slow to not break or damage things. Do not have the rubber wedges tools but I used some plastic tire removal tools for my bike to help. I got stock on the removal of the seat belt holder on the floor as I'm apparently topping out on T25 size bit and I need T40 for this It was late at night so will have to by one today and continue on.

I have also thought about this and talked to a few members that did the same, and thats the separation of the amp power line and the signal lines from the HU by running them on the separate sides of the car. The OEM setup has power lines going on the same side as signal wires with no issues. Also there are other power lines on both sides so you can't really separate the runs. Therefore all I really need to run on the driver side is the extra set of speaker wires to drive the tweeters. The OEM setup has one set of wires for the front woofer and they split them out in the wire corridor in the front by the door. Thats where I will connect them to the wires going to the tweeter. As this is a thin pair of wires, I should be able to run them in the wire corridor and then route them under the rear panel and to the trunk with out completely removing the driver side rear panel and seat belt. That will sure save time. I think I will have to remove the panel on the passenger side to run all the other wires.

Last edited by dariusf; 06-11-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well for anyone watching I spend a bit more time today and was able to run the extra speaker wire from trunk to the door panel. I did not need to remove the driver side rear panel just unclip it a bit to get the wires threw with a fishing wire. Although after I ran the cable I did remove the panel as it was partly off to see how it goes apart. Its back together now so that side wiring is done. Tomorrow I'm hoping to runn the power and audio wires on the passenger side.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 CLK 500
Hi, the second antenna-connector is vor DVB - that means Digital Video Broadcasting you need and dvb tuner to connect and must live in germany to use this option ;-)

http://cgi.ebay.de/DYNAVIN-DVB-T-Tun...item2564649703

Originally Posted by bonson
Hi Darius,

Congratz on your purchase of Dynavin HU.
How is the peformance so far?
I had installed a unit to my 2006 W211 but facing poor radio reception..and same problem also happens on my other W203
Do you face the same problem...?
There is one thing which I dont really understand that the stock unit has two fakra connection on unit where 1 is black (RF radio antenna) and yellow (ZF). As shown as per below 1st picture..
but Dynavin unit has only one input for FM antenna as shown in 2nd picture.. this really puzzle me as i only connected the black cable to the adapter and to the dvn-mbe antenna connection, and left the yellow one (zf) disconnected.
I am wondering, leaving the yellow one (zf) disconnected would it be the possible cause of the poor reception..
How bout you? Did you left the yellow one (zf) disconnected as well?
Would like to hear your experience...thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
Hi, the second antenna-connector is vor DVB - that means Digital Video Broadcasting you need and dvb tuner to connect and must live in germany to use this option ;-)

cool, thanks for the details. As for poor radio reception, maybe check the connectors, get another aftermarket antenna? Maybe the tuner inside the Dynavin unit you have is not that high quality and where ever you are at it has trouble with reception. Which unit do you have and where are you at? I will check my once I'm done with the install but radio is not going to be something ever use anyway
Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM

CLK 200K
Hi im very interested in this dynavin mc2000 but im not sure if it will fit my car, i have a clk 200 kompressor 2003 and im applying a picture from inside of the car.

Will the telephone cause any problem and is there any way i can find out if my stereo uses optic cable or not besides open the whole thing?

Do you think the dynavin would fit my car whitout any problems?
Attached Thumbnails Project Dynavin - audio installation-imag0374.jpg  

Last edited by ompan; 06-15-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 Sedan
seems like you have the audio 10 like dariusf... so I don't see why it won't fit
about the phone... I wish I can help but I don't know
Old 06-15-2011, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ompan
Hi im very interested in this dynavin mc2000 but im not sure if it will fit my car, i have a clk 200 kompressor 2003 and im applying a picture from inside of the car.

Will the telephone cause any problem and is there any way i can find out if my stereo uses optic cable or not besides open the whole thing?

Do you think the dynavin would fit my car whitout any problems?
Looks like it will fit no prob. My OEM unit is the tape version with CD player in the glove box. Do you have a CD changer in the glove box, Bose speakers and Bose amp in the trunk?

Witht eh Phone on the fiber network, you should have D2B fiber network, you will need to get a terminator plug to cover the fiber cable you unplug from the existing HU and one for the CD player if you have it. Otherwise the phone will stop working. Should not need any reprograming but not sure with that phone there.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:28 AM

CLK 200K
No i dont have any CD changer or Bose amp in the trunk, so then my stereo doesnt run with with the optic cable i guess and this dynavin will work correctly?

Im not worried if the phone stops working, i dont use it anyway, i just hope it wont cause any problem on other functions.

This is exactly like the audio i have in my car, http://www.audio-10.com/Mercedes-Audio-10-CD-Radio-Becker

And i called Mercedes-Benz here in Sweden and the guy told me that there is no amp in the trunk and it dont run with the optic cable =)

Thanks for your quick answers=)

Last edited by ompan; 06-16-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Audio does not use fiber, the fiber is only for the communication network. Even with bose the audio is normal audio wires. There is no Toslink type fiber connection. Dynavin WILL ALWAYS work, with Bose or with out. Only deference is that you have 4ohm speakers that can be powered by the new HU. So it should be plug and play for you. With Bose these are 2ohm Bose speakers and can't be powered directly by Dynavin or most other head units. They have to be replaced.

Now if you are after better sound then I'm sure you would benefit from replacing the speakers anyway and adding amp in the trunk. But thats far more expansive and much more work. Its what I'm doing now.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM

CLK 200K
Ok then its just for me to go with it =)

Thanks for your help guys i appreciate it!
Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ompan
Ok then its just for me to go with it =)

Thanks for your help guys i appreciate it!
NP, be sure to talk to Jeff at J&T Distributing to get a unit at a great price and he knows them in and out
Old 06-26-2011, 03:11 AM

W211
Originally Posted by Sparkplug

Spark.. thanks!
Old 06-26-2011, 03:21 AM

W211
Originally Posted by dariusf
cool, thanks for the details. As for poor radio reception, maybe check the connectors, get another aftermarket antenna? Maybe the tuner inside the Dynavin unit you have is not that high quality and where ever you are at it has trouble with reception. Which unit do you have and where are you at? I will check my once I'm done with the install but radio is not going to be something ever use anyway
Darius.. been trying for quite some time but finally i gave up and installed an aftermarket external antenna by passing the original antenna..it works perfertly fine...

How's yours?

Did you get your CD Changer works with Dynavin HU? Mine CD Changer seems not working with it...
The phonebook is not functioning...
I am using the D90 platform . Previously D30 platform able to access this phonebook function...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Darius.. been trying for quite some time but finally i gave up and installed an aftermarket external antenna by passing the original antenna..it works perfertly fine...

How's yours?

Did you get your CD Changer works with Dynavin HU? Mine CD Changer seems not working with it...
The phonebook is not functioning...
I am using the D90 platform . Previously D30 platform able to access this phonebook function...
good to hear you got it working, the CD changer will not work anymore as its on the D2B network and will not work with an aftermarket HU. Did you terminate the removed fiber plug that used to be connected to your old HU? You have to terminate it.

I had a very bad month with far more work then I can handle. Its good and bad, but means that the car was secondary. I did learn how to remove the rear side trim taking lots of pictures. I have most of the cables done except need to connect to the battery. Then the speakers need to be replaced and hopefully over the 4th of July long weekend I will get that done. The rest should be a walk in the park, I hope
Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 AM

W211
Originally Posted by dariusf
good to hear you got it working, the CD changer will not work anymore as its on the D2B network and will not work with an aftermarket HU. Did you terminate the removed fiber plug that used to be connected to your old HU? You have to terminate it.

I had a very bad month with far more work then I can handle. Its good and bad, but means that the car was secondary. I did learn how to remove the rear side trim taking lots of pictures. I have most of the cables done except need to connect to the battery. Then the speakers need to be replaced and hopefully over the 4th of July long weekend I will get that done. The rest should be a walk in the park, I hope
What does D2B stands for?
May I know what is terminator plug? Could you share the pic?
What happened if I did not terminate it? Sorry for the noob questions.

Good luck and all the best to you mate...
Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wink

What does D2B stands for?
May I know what is terminator plug? Could you share the pic?
What happened if I did not terminate it? Sorry for the noob questions.

Good luck and all the best to you mate...
Well not sure now, you can google the names, but pre face-lift 2003-2004, USES D2B fiber optic network AND post face-lift 2005-07 uses using MOST fiber optic network. Its a communication network between car and some of the devices like the radio, phone, CD changer, Bose amp etc. The orange fiber optic cable you unplugged from the HU needs to be now terminated with a little cover plug so other devices can work. The CD changer no longer usable with after market HU will also need that terminator as well as Bose amp if that was there and is now removed. In my car I will be removing the HU, bose amp and CD player and I do not have the phone so I do not need to terminate the unplugged cables. You can get the terminators from the dealers parts department or maybe parts.com if you can find them there. From what I read on the forums, it should be a few dollars each.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 AM

2004 W209 CLK500 Convertible
How's the install going?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:21 AM

2005 CLK 500 Convertible
Originally Posted by mrtremere
How's the install going?

Indeed - we are all hanging in suspense here ....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Dynavin - audio installation