CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Fuel leaking out of car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLK500, 05 ML500
Fuel leaking out of car

As of right now I have the exact issues being described in the W211 E55 Forum.

It started off that I would smell fuel when I topped off, no signs of leakage.

The first time it happened, I thought the fuel was that I drove through a puddle of gas (it was by driver rear tire).

After the third time, I stopped filling it up. Took it to independent, he replaced the two fuel sending unit seals.

Today I filled it up for the first time since that, as soon as I got home (about 5 miles), I immediately smelled a strong sense of fuel when I got out. I backed the car out of the garage and parked in the driveway. 20 minutes later, I go out and fuel is leaking in my driveway from right next to the rear driver tire.

This is not on an E55 though, this is on a 2006 CLK500. Did they use the same setup or what? This is ridiculous, and I'm not happy about this. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago (the dealer doesn't want anything to do with it).

I'm assuming that since the car has not gone up in flames yet (been sitting over an hour pouring fuel) that it will not, correct?!@?!?

I plan on having the car towed tomorrow, but just want to be sure it won't spontaneously combust.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:40 PM

06 CLK500, 05 ML500
Car was towed to my indy. It was still leaking the next day.

Apparently my mechanic didn't put the gasket/seal back on properly and it had "rolled over" (his words).

Once I had filled it up and pressure built up, it didn't stop leaking. I lost almost 1/4 of a tank.

Now I'm afraid to fill it up again to see what happens.

He says he pressure tested it and it should be good, but I'm nervous...
Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Fill it up. Gotta put some trust in him if he said it tested fine. If not, take it back along with a gas receipt. Good luck, and post back.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:43 PM

2006 CLS55, 2006 CLK500, 1954 Lincoln
I've been meaning to check my car out for that same problem. My 06 clk500 has that raw gas smell if I fill up all the way. Let me know how it works out! Is it difficult to access those seals?
Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM

06 CLK500, 05 ML500
I don't think it was that difficult to access.

It took them about 1.5hrs of labor to do it.

I think they have to drain the fuel out also.

I'm still paranoid to fill it up.

I think I'll fill up and then drive it straight to my indy, just in case.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
There are a couple of places it could be leaking.. the most common cause is the gasket or the cap not being tightened fully. the second is the top of the fuel sending unit itself starts leaking.. lastly, the fuel tank (which is plastic) forms a leak somewhere.

they aren't difficult to deal with if you don't have a full tank of fuel
Old 02-28-2013, 01:04 PM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by azheman
As of right now I have the exact issues being described in the W211 E55 Forum.

It started off that I would smell fuel when I topped off, no signs of leakage.

The first time it happened, I thought the fuel was that I drove through a puddle of gas (it was by driver rear tire).

After the third time, I stopped filling it up. Took it to independent, he replaced the two fuel sending unit seals.

Today I filled it up for the first time since that, as soon as I got home (about 5 miles), I immediately smelled a strong sense of fuel when I got out. I backed the car out of the garage and parked in the driveway. 20 minutes later, I go out and fuel is leaking in my driveway from right next to the rear driver tire.

This is not on an E55 though, this is on a 2006 CLK500. Did they use the same setup or what? This is ridiculous, and I'm not happy about this. I just bought the car 3 weeks ago (the dealer doesn't want anything to do with it).

I'm assuming that since the car has not gone up in flames yet (been sitting over an hour pouring fuel) that it will not, correct?!@?!?

I plan on having the car towed tomorrow, but just want to be sure it won't spontaneously combust.
to azheman....well im sitting at the shop right now with the same issues you had with your clk500....what was the final result....they pulled my rear seat up and took of that little cRpet piece and boom there was the fuel sending unit full of fuel....there going to replace the gasket and I hope that is the only problem thanks...
Old 02-28-2013, 01:18 PM

1994 w202
fuel smell

i had this and still do there are two pipes that go to the fuel pump and filter on a w202 i take it most mercs are the same these pipes corrode and start to seap petrol take the cover off the fuel pump which is under the car at the rear under seat and check the pipes on fuel pump hope this helps
Old 03-21-2013, 11:51 AM

CLK 500
Originally Posted by blackhouse
to azheman....well im sitting at the shop right now with the same issues you had with your clk500....what was the final result....they pulled my rear seat up and took of that little cRpet piece and boom there was the fuel sending unit full of fuel....there going to replace the gasket and I hope that is the only problem thanks...
well I found out that my fuel sending unit was leaking at the pressure sensor diagram #225 so I have to buy the when sending unit $340. ( stealership ) looks pretty easy to install herds some pics if I could load them