CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Installing OEM Navigation system.. need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS400 4Matic 2016 / ML 350 2009 / clk 320 w209 sold/ sl 500 1996 sold/ cls550 2008 sold
Installing OEM Navigation system.. need help.

Hi guys,

I found the original Navigation system for 250 USD. The guy told me that it's just unpluging the radio and plugin the navigation.
I am not sure of this.
So my question is, would the nav work without having the DVD player in the trunk, and second question would the system work with the buttons on the steering wheel just by pluggin it...
thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Installing OEM Navigation system.. need help.-photo.jpg  
Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 AM

2009 CLK 550---2008 BMW 335i--2006 SLK 350----1996 Acura NSX ---- 2000 CLK convertible---1997 BMW M3
Originally Posted by michoblb
Hi guys,

I found the original Navigation system for 250 USD. The guy told me that it's just unpluging the radio and plugin the navigation.
I am not sure of this.
So my question is, would the nav work without having the DVD player in the trunk, and second question would the system work with the buttons on the steering wheel just by pluggin it...
thanks for your help.
My NAV does not have a DVD player in the trunk. The CD/DVD disc slots are behind the face plate. Why would there be a DVD player in the trunk? To play movies?
Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by NsXTaCY168
My NAV does not have a DVD player in the trunk. The CD/DVD disc slots are behind the face plate. Why would there be a DVD player in the trunk? To play movies?
Older gen cars had a GPS dedicated DVD drive in the trunk, the head unit only accepted a single audio CD disk. The newer ones have the GPS DVD loaded directly into the head unit like yours and mine.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:52 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Micho, if i`m not mistaken ur from Lebanon right?

try using this link to answer any Command questions you need:
http://www.mercupgrades.com/COMAND+FAQ-faq-1.html#1
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Note that everything related to SAT NAV, TEL for instance will not work unless you appropriately set them up with the needed hardware.

for instance the NAV system needs the CD, yet for Lebanon we dont have yet an updated version which you can rely on for MERC, unless you get it from the Dealer (& that would cost u).

i dont think you need to worry about the phone since you dont have the per-wiring done and to adapt it to another phone (iPhone for instance) that would be costy enough.

as for the CD, it only reads Audio CDs, so no MP3s are compatible with 2.0 Command (only Command coming in 2005 facelift versions can read MP3).

one more thing, in my case, i was searching to implement an iPod/iPhone connection using the AUX in the command.
you have 2 options, either a AUX line which you can connect ur ipod without having it to charge nor to navigate using ur steering wheel. (75$ approx)
the other option, is linking for instance a Dension 500 gateway which would give u charging and steering control in addition i guess to setting another device on it as well, with a cost of 450-500$)

my opinion, go for a double din after market (Pioneer) or something and i guess it can be controlled from the steering wheel with the right connections, (that you need to search) and it gives u DVD, MP3,ipod, and Bluetooth all in 1.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
pioneer z series, pi-ca-r131 for sw controls, new speakers, new amp

you get bluetooth, ipod, cd, sd, nav.

your set.

or you can get the first two and find a way to use the old speakers. then that works too.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 AM

CLS400 4Matic 2016 / ML 350 2009 / clk 320 w209 sold/ sl 500 1996 sold/ cls550 2008 sold
well thanks for the info.

I prefer to go for orginal parts and not aftermarket products as I like to have the original inside options in the car.
I dont think that in the photo i uploaded there is any aux port it would have been good for the ipod.
Do you think that instead of only having one CD, i could link the nav system to the CD changer in the glove box and still have 6 CD's and the steering wheel buttons working?

I am quite worried that if I go for the nav system I would loose my steering wheel buttons function and I would end with one CD and not 6 anymore. what do you think?

Also boull, you can buy the nav CD from the Nokia OVI store near to alfa building in beirut. I think it's like 300 USD. (This should answer you first post...hehehe) but I live in Europe. you where are you from?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM

CLK 240 - 2003
well thanks for the info.

I prefer to go for orginal parts and not aftermarket products as I like to have the original inside options in the car.
I dont think that in the photo i uploaded there is any aux port it would have been good for the ipod.
Do you think that instead of only having one CD, i could link the nav system to the CD changer in the glove box and still have 6 CD's and the steering wheel buttons working?

I am quite worried that if I go for the nav system I would loose my steering wheel buttons function and I would end with one CD and not 6 anymore. what do you think?

Also boull, you can buy the nav CD from the Nokia OVI store near to alfa building in beirut. I think it's like 300 USD. (This should answer you first post...hehehe) but I live in Europe. you where are you from?

Micho, the AUX is located in the SVC, it is located in the back of the Command. so the AUX is found and you can link an ipod (yet concerning the iPod as i told you above in my reply you have 2 choices, also there is a sticky regarding iPod integration into command).

as for the Maps, if not mistaken, i guess the CD you are talking about is a Garmin system, which you can get a 5 inch screen + the map for 150$ here.

i live in Lebanon, beirut and since you know Alfa building in beirut, then i guess ur originally from here.

as for the NAV system + CD changer, it is duable dont worry and since this is an OEM part, you will not lose any connectivity to the steering wheel nor to the CD Changer ( the nav system do support the Merc CD Changer). all you need is the right person and the right cables from behind and everything would be working as if you got the NAV ordered with the car. so i guess it would be a piece of cake for you stealership to install it for you.

Good luck my friend.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by boull
Micho, the AUX is located in the SVC, it is located in the back of the Command. so the AUX is found and you can link an ipod (yet concerning the iPod as i told you above in my reply you have 2 choices, also there is a sticky regarding iPod integration into command).

as for the Maps, if not mistaken, i guess the CD you are talking about is a Garmin system, which you can get a 5 inch screen + the map for 150$ here.

i live in Lebanon, beirut and since you know Alfa building in beirut, then i guess ur originally from here.

as for the NAV system + CD changer, it is duable dont worry and since this is an OEM part, you will not lose any connectivity to the steering wheel nor to the CD Changer ( the nav system do support the Merc CD Changer). all you need is the right person and the right cables from behind and everything would be working as if you got the NAV ordered with the car. so i guess it would be a piece of cake for you stealership to install it for you.

Good luck my friend.

thanks man for your help. Concerning the nav CD i think it's what your talking about but when I asked them they told me it goes in the DVD player in any car and it works on the original nav. I guess the price went down by half since I asked...hehehe. BTW whats ur name mate??
welcome to the forum
Old 10-03-2011, 03:05 PM

CLK 240 - 2003
thanks man for your help. Concerning the nav CD i think it's what your talking about but when I asked them they told me it goes in the DVD player in any car and it works on the original nav. I guess the price went down by half since I asked...hehehe. BTW whats ur name mate??
welcome to the forum
my name is "Charbel"

Nice meeting u

(sorry i might not have written a clear statement concerning the NAV above, for the Garmin i mean -- too much work @ the office! what i meant is instead of going for the factory CD, you can buy an external 5" screen with Garmin Maps on for 150$. As for the command we have, sorry to say it does not support a DVD, only 2005 facelift and up models supported DVDs as NAVs. we get a Normal CD i assume for Command 2.0, and if you live in a very big area, you get a couple #1, #2, #3.... )
Old 10-04-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by boull
my name is "Charbel"

Nice meeting u

(sorry i might not have written a clear statement concerning the NAV above, for the Garmin i mean -- too much work @ the office! what i meant is instead of going for the factory CD, you can buy an external 5" screen with Garmin Maps on for 150$. As for the command we have, sorry to say it does not support a DVD, only 2005 facelift and up models supported DVDs as NAVs. we get a Normal CD i assume for Command 2.0, and if you live in a very big area, you get a couple #1, #2, #3.... )

hehehe nice one!!! well nice meetin u too... we have another lebanese clk fan on this forum, we are now 3
Old 10-05-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS 550 Launch Edition, 2004 CLK 500, 2004 Honda Civic
There's a whole thread on this...mikata and myself have both done it...

Check out our threads...

Angelo
Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by Newjd2
There's a whole thread on this...mikata and myself have both done it...

Check out our threads...

Angelo
+1 on that buddy.
All your questions are answered in our threads.

1. Dension 500 won't work on Comand 2.0. Only Dension Lite will work.

2. Cheapest way to get the phone function to work is to buy a bluetooth module ~$600-$700. After market one. OEM go for little more. You'll find one on ebay

3. No it's no just plug and play to get the steering wheel buttons to work or to get the track info and other info from you comand to your cluster display. You need to get the right wiring harness.

4. The navi cd uses the "cd player" meaning when you use the navi you can't play music cds since the navi cd is in the cd player. Buy a dension lite and your problems are solved. Comand 2.0 does not have a dvd player. Navi cds for comand 2.0 are regular cd-r's.

Last edited by mikata; 10-05-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM

thanks guys I will try to find your thread!!! also thanks for the advice!!!
I'll come back to you if I don't find the thread