CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

my clk550 2009 is not responding like it did on comfort when i first got it.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/
Originally Posted by Rudeney
It is a TCU reset. What happens is that in granny mode, the transmission upshifts sooner unless you hold the accelerator down. After the reset, it reverts to default mode which means the accelerator doesn't have to be held down so long to hold 1st gear.

OK, that's what I thought. It's really the higher RPM that feels so good. I can't look at the dash too often... always looking to see who's trying to ram me. And my exhaust is so quiet I can't tell by listening.

SW Florida - say no more! Really, another way to do this is use the TouchShift to force the gear to hold longer - that will also "program" the transmission to a more aggressive mode.

SW Florida, in 'Season'. gaaa! Interesting about Touchshift, I almost thought that was happening, but really hard to tell in this traffic. (I use it once in a while to get the revs up when I get behind a tourist on a bicycle.) I'll experiment more with it tomorrow morning.

Actually, the best MPG can be attained accelerating as quickly as possibly with full-throttle, then backing off immediately when reaching cruising speed. Then it just takes a mile or two of cruising to erase the fuel usage from that acceleration. Larger, higher-output engines are especially efficient when driven this way. The caveat is stop-and-go traffic where you never spend time cruising - in that case, those "jack rabbit" starts will cost you.
Well, that makes sense (at least it's more fun). Off-season, when I can actually almost do that, I get close to 20. Wife was behind me in her car coming home today so I stomped it here and there... and got 18. Pretty good excuse to 'use it'!
Thanks for the info, Rodney!