CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Improving radio reception using other antennas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLK 350 Cabriolet
Improving radio reception using other antennas

I just upgraded my non-COMAND 2007 CLK W209 Cabriolet with a Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT double-din navigation unit.

In general, I love it. Great navigation interface, built-in traffic, voice control, Pandora from my iPhone over Bluetooth, etc etc.

Strangely, however, the only thing that has gotten markedly worse after the upgrade is AM/FM radio reception. This is still pretty important to me. Reception was probably a "D" when I got it back from the installer. I called and brought it back in and they moved the antenna or something and now it's maybe a C+ on a good day and a C- on a bad day. Not exactly listenable.

The installer said the car has 5 antennas... all embedded in the glass, and aftermarket radios don't have access to them. Is this true? If so, is there anything else I can do to improve the situation? Is there some kickass aftermarket antenna I need to buy or something?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
you might need to go to crutchfield and get a universal antenna.

i think one of our members have done such a thing
Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
As far as I know, our cars come with an antenna connection different than what would go in the aftermarket headunit. So when your installer says that the headunit doesnt have access to the car antennas, I'm assuming your pioneer isnt connected to the OEM antenna right now? If so, you probably just need to get an adapter:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2706373225...ht_2160wt_1270

or this one (if you want both FM and AM):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-Doubl...ht_2282wt_1270

Perhaps you could check with your installer first if he's using these in your car already.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I replied on benzworld also, but in case others here don't visit there, the solution is to connect the antenna control from the radio to the vehicle's wiring harness - this triggers power for the antenna amp.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:20 PM

2007 CLK 350 Cabriolet
Thanks guys. Ok, so grech, I think what you are saying is correct, since the installer definitely told me that he put a different antenna in. What you and Rudeney are suggesting are two different things though, right?

Grech's solution would be to buy the adaptor on eBay which ties the unit into the stock in-glass antennas.

Rudeney's solution would be to keep the aftermarket antenna but use the built-in antenna amplifier (this may already be the way it's set up... I'm not sure).

Which is the better solution? Is the stock in-glass antenna pretty much the best way to receive AM/FM reception in a car? I would assume so, given the fact that it seems like kind of an elaborate strategy for Benz to use if it didn't provide advantages.

Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
carlos uses this one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12044UA...versal+antenna
Old 12-04-2011, 05:31 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
Originally Posted by mikeindustries
Thanks guys. Ok, so grech, I think what you are saying is correct, since the installer definitely told me that he put a different antenna in. What you and Rudeney are suggesting are two different things though, right?

Grech's solution would be to buy the adaptor on eBay which ties the unit into the stock in-glass antennas.

Rudeney's solution would be to keep the aftermarket antenna but use the built-in antenna amplifier (this may already be the way it's set up... I'm not sure).

Which is the better solution? Is the stock in-glass antenna pretty much the best way to receive AM/FM reception in a car? I would assume so, given the fact that it seems like kind of an elaborate strategy for Benz to use if it didn't provide advantages.

Thoughts?
Yes, what I mentioned is different from what Rudeney is suggesting, which I have little idea of, so I will not be able to tell you which is a better solution. I know of the antenna adapters because I'm going to be installing a Pioneer in my car and ordered one of these to use existing OEM antenna. I'll let you know how that works out for me
Old 12-04-2011, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Supercharged CLK500 & ML500
Originally Posted by bheng
Yup! Works great! No problems so far!
Old 12-04-2011, 01:04 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Sorry, I think my reply wasn't clear. My suggestion is to use the vehicle's built-in antenna and amp. The CLK has an antenna amp module that is factory installed in the dash. This module consolidates and amplifies the signals for all the radio receivers in the vehicle - radio, NAV, cell phone, and even keyless entry. The FM radio part of the amp is activated by the head unit. When you install an aftermarket unit, you need to attach its "power antenna" relay lead to the proper antenna amp activation lead on the vehicle's wiring harness. Otherwise, the built-in amp won't be on and you will get reduced signal reception from the built-in antenna.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:24 PM

2007 CLK 350 Cabriolet
Ok so Rudeney, your suggestion then is the same as grech's in that I should buy that dual aerial antenna adaptor on eBay in order to use the built-in antenna, correct?

Just trying to get a read on if the built-in antenna is a better option than something like the Crutchfield one mentioned in this thread. Sounds like you think it is.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, get the adapter to plug the vehicle's antenna into your HU, then make sure you tie the HU's power antenna output to the antenna power pin on the vehicle's wiring harness.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C63s
I use a different unit. Helped a little, maybe about 20-30% but no where near OEM. WHen you get an AFM headunit, you typically loose on the AM/FM porion but gain all the other features. I've just been using different apps on my iPhone as a replacement.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C63s
I use a different unit. Helped a little, maybe about 20-30% but no where near OEM. When you get an AFM head unit, you typically loose on the AM/FM potion but gain all the other features. I've just been using different apps on my iPhone as a replacement.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Yes, get the adapter to plug the vehicle's antenna into your HU, then make sure you tie the HU's power antenna output to the antenna power pin on the vehicle's wiring harness.
I will be adding HD radio to my current setup (in 2-3 weeks) so I thought I would try to enable the factory amp. Nobody has provided pin/harness info on this, so I looked at my W209 shop DVD and found the wires and harnesses I think would do the trick (for my 2004 CLK500 Coupe). I will be updating this thread and my Radio thread with my results. Now the pics:

1. The wiring harness from the back of the radio, (A5) is 12V switched when the radio is turned on.
2. Pin Legend, note (A5) is 12V switched when the radio is on.
3. If you don't want to enable it through the radio harness, you can tap your antenna 12V switch via the black cable going into the antenna amplifier, located on the driver side C pillar.
4. The wire diagram for the connector for picture 3 (X1/22), the antenna amplifier is A2/71.
Attached Thumbnails Improving radio reception using other antennas-radio_harness.jpg   Improving radio reception using other antennas-a40-3_pin_info.jpg   Improving radio reception using other antennas-x1-22.jpg   Improving radio reception using other antennas-wire_diagram_radio_antenna_amp.jpg  
Old 12-10-2011, 12:15 PM

2007 CLK 350 Cabriolet
Are you keeping the factory amp just for convenience? I looked at mine (it's still in there) and it's tiny. Even a $99 aftermarket amp would provide much better sound.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you keeping the factory amp just for convenience? I looked at mine (it's still in there) and it's tiny. Even a $99 aftermarket amp would provide much better sound.
No, I replaced everything! Take a look at my radio thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...o-install.html
Old 12-10-2011, 12:56 PM

2007 CLK 350 Cabriolet
Oh, you're talking about the antenna amp... not the radio amp... got it.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yes, pin A5 on the vehicle wiring hanress needs +12V to activate the antenna amp.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM

2007 CLK 350 Cabriolet
FYI, I bought the double Fakra antenna that grech suggested in order to use the in-glass stock antenna and it works quite a bit worse than an aftermarket antenna. If you don't have a way to use another antenna, go for it, but for anyone reading this thread in the future, I would consider it a last resort.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
FYI, I bought the double Fakra antenna that grech suggested in order to use the in-glass stock antenna and it works quite a bit worse than an aftermarket antenna. If you don't have a way to use another antenna, go for it, but for anyone reading this thread in the future, I would consider it a last resort.
Hi Mike, sorry to hear the adapter didn't work well. I heard about it from a user on the W203 forums, check out post 995. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...images-40.html

I know there is a wire in the adapter that is supposed to be powered up for the adapter to work properly. Perhaps you could try that?

Btw I ordered the single adapter that I posted earlier in the thread, and installed my head unit last week with the antenna adapter. The FM radio reception is as good, if not slightly better (prolly the excitement of the new HU ) by using the adapter.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM

2007 CLK 350 Cabriolet
Yep, already plugged in the power cord for the antenna amplifier. Still not as good as the aftermarket universal antenna.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
I will be adding HD radio to my current setup (in 2-3 weeks) so I thought I would try to enable the factory amp. Nobody has provided pin/harness info on this, so I looked at my W209 shop DVD and found the wires and harnesses I think would do the trick (for my 2004 CLK500 Coupe). I will be updating this thread and my Radio thread with my results. Now the pics:

1. The wiring harness from the back of the radio, (A5) is 12V switched when the radio is turned on.
2. Pin Legend, note (A5) is 12V switched when the radio is on.
3. If you don't want to enable it through the radio harness, you can tap your antenna 12V switch via the black cable going into the antenna amplifier, located on the driver side C pillar.
4. The wire diagram for the connector for picture 3 (X1/22), the antenna amplifier is A2/71.

Success! Today I removed the aftermarket antenna and reconnected the factory antenna. After testing the radio and verifying that reception was terrible, I tapped into the black wire on the c-pillar and BOOM! Crystal clear radio reception using the factory powered radio antenna!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:40 AM

w203
Originally Posted by 2MCHCAR
Success! Today I removed the aftermarket antenna and reconnected the factory antenna. After testing the radio and verifying that reception was terrible, I tapped into the black wire on the c-pillar and BOOM! Crystal clear radio reception using the factory powered radio antenna!
hi, can you tell me where exactly is the c-pillar ? it's between front and driver window ?

thx
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The pillar letter nomenclature starts at the front. The A pillar is the support on the side of the front windshield. The B pilllar is the one behind the driver's door (between the doors on a sedan)), but since the CLK is a "pillarless" coupe, there is no B-pillar. The C pillar is the on along side the rear glass. And if this were an SUV or wagon, the C-pillar would be behind the rear door, and the D pillar would be alongside the rear hatch.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:44 AM

w203
Originally Posted by Rudeney
The pillar letter nomenclature starts at the front. The A pillar is the support on the side of the front windshield. The B pilllar is the one behind the driver's door (between the doors on a sedan)), but since the CLK is a "pillarless" coupe, there is no B-pillar. The C pillar is the on along side the rear glass. And if this were an SUV or wagon, the C-pillar would be behind the rear door, and the D pillar would be alongside the rear hatch.

thx m8, appreciate it
will tap black wire in the weekend

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Improving radio reception using other antennas