CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help removing some interior trim pieces

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
Help removing some interior trim pieces

I have something loose inside my console - maybe it's a screw - and it's rolling around when I go around a corner. I need to take the console apart to see what it is. Problem is I cant figure out how to take it apart...I searched and found the exploded parts view where people want to convert the older console covers to the rolling top kind, but it's really hard to figure out how it comes apart without instructions.

Also, the instrument binnacle - specifically the clear cover over the gauges - creaks when cornering and I'd like to know how to disassemble this as well to see if some felt or other material will help.

Does anyone know how to gain disassembly instructions or point me to a not-too-expensive program or service manual to get me going?

thanks in advance....
Old 12-14-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 240 - 2003
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
I have something loose inside my console - maybe it's a screw - and it's rolling around when I go around a corner. I need to take the console apart to see what it is. Problem is I cant figure out how to take it apart...I searched and found the exploded parts view where people want to convert the older console covers to the rolling top kind, but it's really hard to figure out how it comes apart without instructions.

Also, the instrument binnacle - specifically the clear cover over the gauges - creaks when cornering and I'd like to know how to disassemble this as well to see if some felt or other material will help.

Does anyone know how to gain disassembly instructions or point me to a not-too-expensive program or service manual to get me going?

thanks in advance....
it all start with the ashtray above the transmission stand.
dis-assemble that part and u go from there to remove the center console, it is a couple of screws before ur center console is off... fairly easy..

to remove the center console you can search for DIY on Audio since that would require taking out all the center console part.. so it would be a start for u...

"Sorry didn't see ur car was a 2009, i have a pre-facelift -- but i guess they should be the same
Old 12-18-2011, 09:33 AM

2018 E43
any help removing the instrument binnacle/hood?
Mine squeaks like crazy sometimes....

thanks
Old 12-18-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I recommend you take some guidance from post #40 onward here: The CLK has much in common with the W203. Is it identical? - No. Does it give some guidance on tearing down the console? - Yes.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-hissing.html

This might also help with cluster:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...moving+cluster

Originally Posted by Saprissa
1) lower and level steering wheel as far down as it goes
2) stick each one of these special tools (or wire coat hanger, with small bends at the end), into each hole on the side of the instrument cluster.
3) make sure the small bends are pointing either inward or outward ( I can't remember which way), as you push them in. You will hear a slight click when they reach the end.
4) Pull out gently as it grabs the instrument cluster (IC) and continue to pull it out. (another person helping you pull out the IC will help).
5) Be careful with the trip mileage / interior light dimmer button on the far left, as it is very long, and can be broken or bent if you pull the IC too fast or too far to either side.
6) The instrument cluster has a wire harness plugged in behind it, so once you get it out far enough you will see it. If you have to unplug this harness for whatever reason it is you are removing the IC, then make sure the engine is off, and key is removed from the ignition. Otherwise, you might get some errors when you plug everything back in. For a simple gauge bezel change-out, you do not need to unplug the wire harness, unless you want to have more room to work with the instrument cluster on a work bench or table.
7) Mercedes-Benz has a holographic or serial #'d sticker on the top of the IC, which if removed will tear, and therefore void any warranty on the IC due to tampering. To remove this seal without tearing it, you will need to either use a heat dryer, and peel back slowly, or some other method of removing stickers without damage. If you do tear it, too bad !!
8) The IC has 4 or 6 tabs behind it that have to snap off (not too hard or you might break them) to pull the front plastic IC face from the electronic part of the IC.
9) Once you separate the 2 pieces, you will have access to the instrument face, with the gauge bezel in the middle. Be very careful with the orange indicator arrows (rpm, mph, gas). They are very fragile and could bend easily.
10) The gauge bezel has two small tabs at the bottom that need to pop off. Again, be careful, because too much force, and they will snap the tabs that hold it in place.
11) Pull up slowly on the gauge bezel, and it should slide up nice & easy. Replace with whatever new bezel you are putting in, and snap in place.
12) Put 2 main pieces of IC back together, making sure all tabs snap back into place, and then replace (reapply slight adhesive) to MB seal. Re-insert wire harness if you removed it.
13) Push IC back into place, carefully making sure that the trip mileage / interior light dimmer button is in place, and not bending. The MB tools are not needed to push the IC back in place.
14) You're done. Drink beer !

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ht=CLK+cluster

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-18-2011 at 12:15 PM. Reason: More data
Old 12-18-2011, 08:15 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I have a complete cluster disassembly pictorial here:

Instrument Cluster Repair

This is probably more info than you need, but the first three pictures show you what you need to see. And yes, it's for a W203, but the W209 is identical in this respect.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 AM

2018 E43
Thanks Guys!

If I have kids and it is a boy, I'll name it Glyn Rudeney!!!!

Old 12-19-2011, 03:58 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
Thanks Guys!

If I have kids and it is a boy, I'll name it Glyn Rudeney!!!!

LOL ! Make sure he does not end up getting a Honda Civic when he grows up!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM

CLK 240 - 2003
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Well - I think you have enough guidance for the job at hand.