CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Anyone with a 7 speed auto? (other platforms)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by F1Bobby
2008 CLK550 so far so good!
The joys of buying mature models reaching the end of their life cycle. Trouble with W209 is which life cycle. It's been fitted with almost every drivetrain in the Benz arsenal with the exception of the V12, Supercharged V8 & 4Matic.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
transmission stops shifting

My 2006 E350 with 35k miles is showing the exact same problem as you mentioned.

It suddenly stops shifting gears. Mostly in 2 nd or 3 rd gear. Only solution is to pull over stop the engine and start it back.

Were you able to get it resolved.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:24 AM

cls 320
CLS 320 Cdi in uk at 59,000 miles also having problems, fault code relating to speed sensors...not a happy bunny as Ive upgraded from a 20 year old CLK 320 that has never given any problems. As everyone else, looking like an *** sat at the traffic lights with no drive, or pulling over onto the hard shoulder on the motorway to reset the ecu......
Not where a class Mercedes should be seen.
And no joy from local MB dealer who denies its an issue, just want £140 plus VAT to diagnose a fault I already gave them fault codes for....pathetic
Will be doing the repair myself with a re manufactured plate if I cant replace the sensors myself.

722.9 7 g tronic speed sensor failure. electric plate. valve body failure. 7gtronic gearbox

Last edited by foggylad69; 02-10-2015 at 04:33 AM. Reason: missed something out
Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 AM

2006 r350
Any resolution?

We purchased a used 2006 r350 and are in love with the car! Car fax was clean and everything was great except for the hard shift issue. We took it to the used car dealers mechanic within 30 days of purchase when the engine light came on. He ran the codes and told us it was nothing and reset the system to wipe the code. Appearantly, there were numerous codes at that time, that we were not made aware of, and now the car is not driveable and the Mecedes dealership is telling us the transmission has to be replaced to the sum of $7000. We love this car and are devastated that after purchasing the car at book value we now have to put another $7000 into it. We found by calling the dealership who did work for the previous owner that they took it in because of the same hard shifting issue. They updated the software and it was again shifting perfectly. I am learning that this ended up being only a temporary fix and I am wondering if anyone can confirm this? Any suggestions?

Q
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Interesting. Mine started doing this immediately after I had my timing gear replaced (i.e. The Dreaded Balance Shaft Issue). It was horrible on a cold engine and got slightly better when warm, but was still very noticeable. I assumed that maybe they lost some transmission fluid during the timing gear repair. The dealer did find the fluid was slightly low, but probably not enough to cause problems (but how much is "enough"?) They also flashed the latest firmware into the TCU and all is well. In fact, it shifts more smoothly than it ever has. So apparently, some of these issues are software related and not necessarily mechanical. The TCU flash should take about an hour, so maybe it's worth $100+/- to have that done to see if it helps. Oh, and this will be a dealer-only repair since the latest firmware has to be downloaded from MBZ corporate and they only allow licensed repair centers access to it.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
There are very few reasons why the entire transmission would need to be replaced. The most common problem with this unit is that the turbine speed sensors "wear out" there slots in the conductor plate. The replacement of that is around $2K. Did the dealer give you any sort of diagnostic printout? If so, post that and let's see what's going on. If not, ask them for the codes they scanned.