CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

c55 AMg vs CLK550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
No one said that i dont accept the fact ofourse it's possible, you are the one who can't accept the fact. Driver error is not something that i should be concerned about in a race that's his problem to know how to drive his car.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLK & GL
we'll see how it goes when i go to E-Town or Atco. I never said he smoked him. All i said is that i ran the guy from a 30 roll and beat him. I didnt say i beat him by alot or anything. In fact, i never even said it on this forum because i don't feel like arguing about it. Its a kill story because it happened, i beat the car with that driver.

btw... add APR Tuned B8 S4 to my list

Last edited by kbahl21; 03-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
My kill story:

2004 Maybach 57: $400,000.
2004 Mustang Cobra: $40,000.
Smoking a Cobra in a Maybach: Priceless

Yes, I borrowed the demo Maybach one day and had a bit of fun driving around town, embarrassing ricers and Mustangs and BMW's. The guy in the Cobra was most notable as he followed me to a parking lot and then wanted to know what sort of "Lexus" it was. The scariest part was leaving it in my garage overnight. It barely fit, and then I was worried that since the car was more expensive than the house, would insurance cover it if the house burned down.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Originally Posted by c552slick
No one said that i dont accept the fact ofourse it's possible, you are the one who can't accept the fact. Driver error is not something that i should be concerned about in a race that's his problem to know how to drive his car.
But just because I beat a bad driver in a faster car, I would not call it in the realm of my slower car. You killed the driver, not the car.

That is my point.

Originally Posted by kbahl21
we'll see how it goes when i go to E-Town or Atco. I never said he smoked him. All i said is that i ran the guy from a 30 roll and beat him. I didnt say i beat him by alot or anything. In fact, i never even said it on this forum because i don't feel like arguing about it. Its a kill story because it happened, i beat the car with that driver.

btw... add APR Tuned B8 S4 to my list
Never said "he" smoked him? I thought you raced him?

Either way looking forward to your 1/4 mi times. Wish you were local for some fun runs in Mexico. Are you 100% stock?

Last edited by Nachtsturm; 03-08-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Multi-quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
But just because I beat a bad driver in a faster car, I would not call it in the realm of my slower car. You killed the driver, not the car.

That is my point.
+1
Old 03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
These threads always brighten my mood

I just can't understand why guys don't go to the track, run the 1320 and post the slips. No rolls, no fantasy "I blew him away" talk, no "I would have beat him if..."

Numbers on a slip don't lie. Maybe I'm too old school.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Kevwood

I just can't understand why guys don't go to the track, run the 1320 and post the slips. No rolls, no fantasy "I blew him away" talk, no "I would have beat him if..."

Exactly.

With that said, I want to see some times from your beast.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Exactly.

With that said, I want to see some times from your beast.
I'll make you a deal dude, if I ever get my car back long enough (without being in a shop for more bloody mods) and I am actually in Dubai when a drag night is being held at YAS I will go make a few passes just for you

I really had no intention at all of running the 1320 because I built this thing for road courses. I'll tear a punk a new *** on the street when ever I'm challenged to do so but I never have posted about it. Maybe I should start doing so

I guess if I can clip a mid 12 I'd be happy, I really have absolutely no idea what this car will do in a straight line.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK & GL

That is my point.

Never said "he" smoked him? I thought you raced him?

Either way looking forward to your 1/4 mi times. Wish you were local for some fun runs in Mexico. Are you 100% stock?
at the time resonator and secondary cat delete. and you know that is what i meant. i used my phone to write that message i probably just typed it in wrong.

im going to borrow jonc63amgs vbox and do a run in the meantime
Old 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kbahl21
at the time resonator and secondary cat delete. and you know that is what i meant. i used my phone to write that message i probably just typed it in wrong.

im going to borrow jonc63amgs vbox and do a run in the meantime
Didn't want to assume. Thought you may have been your bud.

I'll make you a deal dude, if I ever get my car back long enough (without being in a shop for more bloody mods) and I am actually in Dubai when a drag night is being held at YAS I will go make a few passes just for you

I really had no intention at all of running the 1320 because I built this thing for road courses. I'll tear a punk a new *** on the street when ever I'm challenged to do so but I never have posted about it. Maybe I should start doing so

I guess if I can clip a mid 12 I'd be happy, I really have absolutely no idea what this car will do in a straight line.
Nice, I don't think mid 12's will be a problem. That is one slick car you have built yourself.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK & GL
oo nope it was me that ran him
Old 03-08-2012, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab

I've never been quite clear on the best technique to get the best time from a dead stop in these cars. So pretend for a minute you were running a 1/4 mile in my car instead of yours. Do you put in dyno mode? I would think it would be too hard to control the start. Do you just turn off the ESP button but otherwise leave it alone? Do you just floor it and let the tranny decide when to shift or try and do it yourself? Do you not quite floor it at first so the traction control does not cut the engine power?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yidney
I've never been quite clear on the best technique to get the best time from a dead stop in these cars. So pretend for a minute you were running a 1/4 mile in my car instead of yours. Do you put in dyno mode? I would think it would be too hard to control the start. Do you just turn off the ESP button but otherwise leave it alone? Do you just floor it and let the tranny decide when to shift or try and do it yourself? Do you not quite floor it at first so the traction control does not cut the engine power?
Traction control off. Leave in D.

If you mash the gas, you will just spin. Go about half throttle, back off/add as needed so you just get a eerk errk sound from the tires, then when you know your ready to hook, mash it.

Doing this I cut a 1.9 60' on all seasons.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Traction control off. Leave in D.

If you mash the gas, you will just spin. Go about half throttle, back off/add as needed so you just get a eerk errk sound from the tires, then when you know your ready to hook, mash it.

Doing this I cut a 1.9 60' on all seasons.
Let me just make sure - when you say traction control off - you mean dyno mode in the sub menu or just ESP button off?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Let me just make sure - when you say traction control off - you mean dyno mode in the sub menu or just ESP button off?
Just ESP off.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK550 Cab
Just ESP off.
This is getting at why I've always been confused. If I turn the ESP off - which I always understodd turns off part, but not all of traction control - and mash it on dry pavement I do not spin. Ever. I can sometimes but not always get a little chirp, but that's it. Otherwise it just squats and goes. That's what I thought the traction control did even with ESP off - that it moderated power so that a tire will be right at the limit of adhesion, but not break loose. But you and others talk about spinning your wheels with just ESP off. No way I can do that. What's different?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 CLS63 AMG
i leased a clk550 back in 2008. white on black full loaded
it was super fast. unfortunately the suspect couldn't keep up with the engine..so much TQ too
Old 03-09-2012, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nice, I don't think mid 12's will be a problem. That is one slick car you have built yourself.
Well, if that's the case then I would be happy. Thanks for the comment too, it's finally almost done now, hope to have it back next week with a whole bunch of new goodies to share with you guys

I agree with what Nach said and you've it pretty down pat. When my car was stock I use to hit the ESP button to defeat the engine cut out (which now just leaves the braking ESP active) and at the green light I'd put the pedal down about 1/2 way then feather it to full throttle over the first 100 ft or so. After a few tries I got it nailed down and I could launch the car pretty consistently.

The 500's, 55's and 550's make so much immediate bottom end torque that it's really difficult to launch these cars, add to that the ESP system is awful to say the least. A Quaife LSD on a stock or mildly modded car would rock, even with all the power I am making now it is still really helping but now I am back to launching the same way as described as above.

It's awesome when the problem is 'too much power'
Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic

Yup.....I totally agreed. The track is the only place to run your mouth. One excuses that I always hear at the track and I'm sicked of hearing it even when they got their best time ever. No traction........no traction............no traction !!!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Klinh
Yup.....I totally agreed. The track is the only place to run your mouth. One excuses that I always hear at the track and I'm sicked of hearing it even when they got their best time ever. No traction........no traction............no traction !!!
And you know what that translates to?

I can't launch/drive.......can't launch/drive.........can't launch/drive!!!

Funny how some guys think that it's always the car and not the wanna-be Dominic Toretto behind the wheel.

When it comes to racing, the reality is there are very few reasons, mostly just excuses for poor runs.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, CLK550
And you know what that translates to?

I can't launch/drive.......can't launch/drive.........can't launch/drive!!!

Funny how some guys think that it's always the car and not the wanna-be Dominic Toretto behind the wheel.

When it comes to racing, the reality is there are very few reasons, mostly just excuses for poor runs.

Agreed!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is getting at why I've always been confused. If I turn the ESP off - which I always understodd turns off part, but not all of traction control - and mash it on dry pavement I do not spin. Ever. I can sometimes but not always get a little chirp, but that's it. Otherwise it just squats and goes. That's what I thought the traction control did even with ESP off - that it moderated power so that a tire will be right at the limit of adhesion, but not break loose. But you and others talk about spinning your wheels with just ESP off. No way I can do that. What's different?
Really? I thought with GT500 eating power the 550 would just sit there and roast.

All jokes aside. You do have a vert, so it is heavier. I am not sure on your gearing, but that may play a part as well.

My 2005 CLK55 has no problems laying down some rubber. My 01 CLK55 would lite 'em up at will too. 360 wtq and skinny 245's makes it pretty easy though.