CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Audio Headunit Aftermarket Steering Wheel buttons

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 silver C32 AMG
Audio Headunit Aftermarket Steering Wheel buttons

My question is this.... If I get an aftermarket headunit, will the buttons on my steering wheel that control the audio functions still work?

I ask this because I did not want to get the Command Navigation system. I didnt want it because the screen is small, its low contrast, and its CD based!!!

For these reasons I decided not to get the command system, and to get a In-Dash LCD Navigation unit that also plays DVD's and MP3's.

If i get this type of aftermartket headunit, will the buttons on the steering wheel that control the audio still work?

I heard that if I get an Alpine unit, there is a converter or something that will make the buttons work. Is this true?

Does anybody have any experience in this matter?
Because, if there is no way for me to make this work... Then I will have to order the navigation unit immediately!

please help!!!
Old 07-16-2003, 02:31 PM

I don't think you'll be able to get them working with a simple adapter. As I understand it the head unit's interface to the rest of the car is fiber optic... While getting a converter for the steering wheel controls on other vehicles is possible, I haven't seen one for the w209's. I suppose an installer could splice into the controls at the steering wheel or something...
Old 07-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

If you look on the Audo/Video Message Board, someone was soliciting interest for designing and producing the necessary adapter. Of interest is another poster's response that said something like this is available from Alpine in Europe (???).

If you figure it out, please let us know over on this board.