CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Dealer Replaced Windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320 Coupe
Dealer Replaced Windshield

Hello,

I had to have my windshield replaced by the dealer due to a hairline crack from top to bottom dead center with the rear view mirror. It appears they did a good job, and didn't think anything of it until I drove it on the freeway and noticed above the A/C and the radio on (softly) a buzzing sound when driving around 60 MPH-70 MPH or so. It sounds like it is coming from the top molding as if there is a spot that is not aligned correctly allowing air to get in there and buzz. Does anyone know how I or the dealer can fix this? How could I even troubleshoot it, as I don't have a wind chamber to place the vehicle in and put my hand on the outside of the windshield to see when it stops. Also it could have been bad weather or the radio station was having problems that day, but it appeared to me that my radio antenna was not getting as good reception as it did on the old windshield. Is the radio antenna located above the rear view mirror on that grid looking spot, or is that the rain sensor?

Thank you,
-Scott
Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
That's expensive glass having the dealer do it. Give it a day ot two, but if it is not beter and seems windshield related, make then redo it. Not sure where your antenna is. But the stuff at the top is rain sensor and light dimmer.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320 Coupe
Thank you for the reply, unfortunately the windshield was replaced about 3 weeks or so ago, so it has been sitting for a while. Would I really be able to "make" the dealer redo a $1200 or so windshield job, as they cant reuse the glass once removed. I had assumed the light sensor was on the dash in the center as there is a little bump that looks like a photocell.

Thank you,
-Scott
Old 07-02-2012, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
You can if you can demonstate an issue with the install. I had mine done with orignal MB glass at an indy shop, and for whatever reason it was installed off center a bit. I pointed it out and they ate the cost of putting in a whole new one without any complaint.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
This happens sometimes when they don't get a good bead on the urethane sealant. I would definitely take it back and make them fix it. Yes, it will sot them a new windshield and labor, but hopefully they built that into the price. BTW, I doubt the dealer actually did the work - most subcontract the labor it to a glass installer. Also, it's best that the vehicle be allowed to sit for several hours without being disturbed after the job is done. This reminds me, I have a big old ugly crack in mine that I need to get fixed. I've just been putting it off because I work in a semi-industrial area and the likelihood that it will happen again is high.