CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

H/K logic 7 problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Coupe
H/K logic 7 problem

I recently had an 02 c230 coupe that has a bose premium sounds system. I had a huge upgrade to an 07 clk550 with hk premium sound. The difference is highly noticeable except that the c230 sound system is 10 times better! It's louder and has more bass. My question is why is my hk system so low? Both radio and iPod input. I have the old white cord maybe that's the problem? If I replace it by the dealer will it make a diff or does this sound come like this? I Remember driving a BMW 550 with logic 7 and it's was amazing. What can I do to increase the volume?
Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 PM

clk 350
Absolutely nothing. I tried everything. Eventually ended up amplifying the hk system with an aftermarket amp. now its crisp... and loud
Old 07-23-2012, 04:30 PM

C230 Coupe
Oh wow that's not a bad option I guess. Does it distort? Hows the bass? And how did you go about replacing the amp where is it located ? Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM

clk 350
Im quite particular about sound quality.
The hk surround system is fantastic when amplified to its true potential.
There are two ways in which you can go about this:
1. locate your amplifier.
Ensure system is switched off. Its preferable to disconnect battery terminal.
Cut all speaker wiring. These are genrally the coloured wires which are twisted in pairs.
Install a line out converter. install one pair of line out converter wires to the sub out speaker wires (for low pass) and the other pair on converter for mid range speakers.
Wire up your aftermarket amp and connect it to your speaker lines.
This will cost you under 300 dollars for amp, line out converter and cables.
Depends what brand amp you buy.

2. find a audio repair technician.
Ask him to remove head unit and install rca line out converter to it, tapping it of the sound IC
Then proceed with amp and cable installation

Hope this helps
Ive done this to two mercs that i have. Clk 350 and c55
Old 07-23-2012, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I'm hoping Rudney will chip in.

I find the Logic 7 to be a far more accurate system than the Bose, but then I'm a high end audio nut. The Bose is certainly more ghetto blaster/lifestyle.

There is a set up menu for the Logic 7 in Comand with a full graphic equaliser that allows you to tailor the system from flat to your preferred response including target frequencies & Q. I know how to get into it on USA W204 but not US 209.

Maybe someone can help.

iPod via it's own crap DA coverters will always sound suspect. You need to take a digital feed to the HU.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Well, I have to say I agree with the OP. I had the Bose system in my W163 ML and thought it was great. My wife had a Nissan Murano with Bose and I thought it was decent, too. The HK in the CLK is just so-so. I'm no audiophile by any means, but I agree the HK is not very powerful. There are times when driving with the top down that I could definitely use some more power. Also, The Logic7 DSP seems to cause some odd artifacts in certain music, especially from digital sources like Sirius and MP3 players. BTW, the worst stereo I've had was in my BMW X3. It was supposedly an upgraded system, but it sounded like crap.

I put a Pioneer AVIC in the kid's C240. It uses the built-in 25W x 4 amp for the door speakers (also Pioneers), but she has a 12" sub with a 1200W amp in the trunk. It's LOUD and sounds great and wasn't terribly expensive.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 AM

C230 Coupe
Hmm so the best thing to do is just install an aftermarket amp. Thanks for the input guys. Siraaj option number one seems to look quite risky is there any custom harness anyone knows of that won't require me to cut any wires? I remember my brother did this to his bmw 550 he also had logic 7 and someone on their forum made a custom harness
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Well, I have to say I agree with the OP. I had the Bose system in my W163 ML and thought it was great. My wife had a Nissan Murano with Bose and I thought it was decent, too. The HK in the CLK is just so-so. I'm no audiophile by any means, but I agree the HK is not very powerful. There are times when driving with the top down that I could definitely use some more power. Also, The Logic7 DSP seems to cause some odd artifacts in certain music, especially from digital sources like Sirius and MP3 players. BTW, the worst stereo I've had was in my BMW X3. It was supposedly an upgraded system, but it sounded like crap.

I put a Pioneer AVIC in the kid's C240. It uses the built-in 25W x 4 amp for the door speakers (also Pioneers), but she has a 12" sub with a 1200W amp in the trunk. It's LOUD and sounds great and wasn't terribly expensive.
Yes - The comparison that I'm making here might not be fair. Firstly I am listening in a Coupe & it's plenty loud. I am also listening to a Euro Comand APS unit which is different than the US unit & manufactured by Becker. According to the audio gurus on the forum many of the US Comand's are Siemens manufactured even though they look superficially similar they are not in fact. I think that the Harmon/Becker/Alpine unit in my car sounds pretty good for car audio. I seldom use the logic 7 processor. I usually listen straight.

This is my unit. Easily identified by the toggle click system.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-24-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Let me know if you can see the picture - we are having picture problems on the forum. One minute they are there - the next they are gone.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yeah, difference between yours and mine includes:

VIDEO button (Euro), vs. SAT button (USA)
Disc slot above screen vs. disc slots behind screen
D-pad buttons vs. joystick
Bottom row buttons have pictograph icons vs. text labels and colored SEND/END buttons.

Oh, and the photo doesn't show unless I choose to reply with quote - then I can see it!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for letting me know re pic. We are having this problem all over the forum. If I click edit & save I can see the pic - then if I go out of the thread it disappears on return.

Over to the tech gurus.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Glyn and Rod, is it possible only to buy subwoofer speakers for H/K or Bose?
Are there any part# for the bass/subwoofer speakers?

I'm installing a aftermarket amp once I have decided wether to install OEM speakers or going aftermarket with a subwoofer box.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:29 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep, it is. I believe the part number for the hat shelf mounted unit in the coupe is A2098201902. That is listed for use with option code 810 which I am pretty sure is the HK system. If you want the unit mounted between the rear seats in the cabriolet, it's A2098202302, and will also have a color code based on the interior.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Yep, it is. I believe the part number for the hat shelf mounted unit in the coupe is A2098201902. That is listed for use with option code 810 which I am pretty sure is the HK system. If you want the unit mounted between the rear seats in the cabriolet, it's A2098202302, and will also have a color code based on the interior.
Thanks!
Just to be sure, that part# is for the hat shelf subwoofers?
parts.com says "radio access".
I'm going aftermarket with amplifier but shouldn't be a problem?
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yeah, I noticed that on parts.com. Some of their parts diagrams and descriptions can be very strange. If that's where you intend to buy, just make sure you put comments in your order so that you get the right thing. Another thing to try is your local dealer. The parts guy there can verify the right component for you, and as for price, take the parts.com printout with you and ask them to match it. Often they will. If not, then at least you know you have the right part. Oh, wait, I see you are in Sweden! Does parts.com ship there?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes CLK 320 W209
Yeah, I noticed that on parts.com. Some of their parts diagrams and descriptions can be very strange. If that's where you intend to buy, just make sure you put comments in your order so that you get the right thing. Another thing to try is your local dealer. The parts guy there can verify the right component for you, and as for price, take the parts.com printout with you and ask them to match it. Often they will. If not, then at least you know you have the right part. Oh, wait, I see you are in Sweden! Does parts.com ship there?
Thanks for the great info!
I don't think parts.com ship outside the states(maybe Canada), but I'll check the price with my dealership tomorrow. If they are way more expensive than parts.com I'll try to find someone from US who is willing to ship the parts to me.

The local dealership here will never try to match the price