CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rack & Pinion Removal? - Excessive leak.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209
Rack & Pinion Removal? - Excessive leak.

Hello everyone!

So I've had my 2004 Clk320 for just about 5 months now, and out of no where, I noticed there was a loud disturbing noise under the hood!

I came quick to realize after moving out of any parking spot that there was an excessive leak coming from somewhere.

I also noticed that the noise was exaggerated whenever I turned the wheel either direction.

I soon found out my Power Steering was leaking.

I purchased a can of the correct fluid from a local auto shop and applied the fluid - the noise goes away and the car maneuvers freely. BUT I finished the entire can within two days! - Keep in mind I was filling the tank to the line marked on the cap.

I had my mechanic look at it, and after removing the pan from the bottom and looking further into it, he said it was definitely leaking from the Rack and Pinion.

He agreed to remove the part and take it somewhere to get it fixed/replaced and then re-install, but has been consistently pushing the removal to "tomorrow" and I NEED MY CAR!

It's now sitting in my warehouse, I have a jack to get under the car and remove myself if this is possible without too much mechanical experience!

Does any one have a tutorial / instructions on removing the Rack and Pinion so I can take it to get fixed myself?

If there is any further information I need to provide / clarify please let me know!

Thanks guys!

Last edited by fkasbar; 08-07-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Doesn't look too hard....

W209 Steering Rack Removal
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Before you pull everything apart. Are the rubber boots on the rack ends filling with fluid? That is usually the sign of rack leaks. Otherwise it's external.

Check the banjo fitting on the pump that supplies pressurised fluid to the rack & the pipe & clamp arrangement that enters the rack (where steering column meets rack) & check this flexible pipe for rupture that connects those two points.

Feel free to use the W209 Wiki.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-07-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I agree that you should check for hose leaks first, and I also agree the job is not daunting for somebody who does a fair amount of work on cars, but you are asking as someone "without too much mechanical experience." Only you can know what you mean by that, but I'd call that job pretty intimidating for somebody who uses that qualifier.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM

W209
Thanks for the guides, photos and information gentlemen...I really do appreciate it

I've taken some under the hood photos for your reference, I think it's evident in photo #1 where the leak is coming from...it looks to me that the rubber boots (item #12 in Glyn's photo if I'm not mistaken) are filled with fluid.

Yidney, you're correct, it is pretty intimidating, but I'm just looking to move forward, I won't be working myself, I will be accompanied by my partner who is more qualified, however these posts and information should be a great help...

Thanks again guys!
Attached Thumbnails Rack & Pinion Removal? - Excessive leak.-1.jpg   Rack & Pinion Removal? - Excessive leak.-2.jpg   Rack & Pinion Removal? - Excessive leak.-3.jpg   Rack & Pinion Removal? - Excessive leak.-pan.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
It looks like boot 12 could be full of fluid. You need to squeeze it to check. It should be full of air. If it's full of fluid it's rack out for seal replacement.

Also check for leaks at torx bolt 60 at position 30 (I know 30 is an O ring - I'm talking about position) where the primary & return lines enter & leave the rack. That is the most common leak spot & obscured in your pictures. In fact Benz has just had a W204 recall for leaks there due to incorrect torque at plant.

You now have it narrowed down.
Good luck!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Russian
My mom's CLK also has a leak its not to bad and I have tried using Lucas stop leak which seems to have slowed it down but not stopped it.
fkasbar I will be looking forward to your experience. Please take some pics if you can. thanks.