CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Front Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 350 and CLK 350 both '07
Front Plate Bracket

Got a California car ... now in Utah.... Looks like I need a Front License Plate Bracket...

I know I can buy one on ebay or the parts store, but does anyone have a "tricky" solution? Something that might look a little better than screwing holes into the front of my beautiful car?

I hear there is a Tow Hook mount. Any experience, comments or thinking about that? How does it work?

This is an '07 CLK350....
Old 09-06-2012, 12:45 PM

W209 55
You can find a bit of info here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ate-mount.html

In my personal experience, I picked up the RHO Plate when I first got my car last November. I've used it for 6 months and it went to crap. The tiny little screw that came with the package lost it's tension and the plate bracket started to swivel. Not to mention the little screw ended up fusing with the aluminum tow hook bolt.

My RHO Plate finally died so I picked up a GoMiniGo tow hook mount a month ago and couldn't be happier.

The quality from the GMG tow hook mount is NIGHT AND DAY compared to the RHO plate.

Here are a few pics of my install

A link to the kit:

http://www.gominigo.com/MB.html

FYI I ordered the MB1 kit. I needed to buy a longer hex bolt (M12-30 if I remember correctly) and an extra hex nut, as the tow hook adapter bolt is too short for our bumpers.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Looks like a possible answer for me.
How does it mount? Looks like it screws directly into the tow hook threads?

Dos it get snagged or have other problems?
Thanks again...
Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 PM

W209 55
Originally Posted by hopz
Looks like a possible answer for me.
How does it mount? Looks like it screws directly into the tow hook threads?

Dos it get snagged or have other problems?
Thanks again...
The tow hook bolt screws directly into the tow hook threads which you can tighten with a socket wrench.

Then there's a hex bolt which screws into the tow book bolt which you can also tighten with a socket wrench.

It does not get snagged or anything. It's really stiff and haven't found any problems yet.

We'll see what happens when winter comes
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
Totally personal preference, but I think those tow hook mounts are far less attractive than the standard mounts. The plate is off center, sticks way out from the car and looks like some sort of temporary rigging - all to save drilling four small holes? I painted my black factory mount to match the car, then used a curved stainless steel frame w/o logo from mercedes. It blends in well.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Wondering if the center mounted, factory sort of bracket places the plate in a manner that interferes with cooling air-flow?
Old 09-07-2012, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
No. I can post a pic of my painted one if you want, but if you look on e-bay or auto trader at cars that have the factory mount you can see it just barely hangs over the lower grill opening - 90% is over the bumper. Not enough to make any difference.