CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Warranty Fight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500 Cabriolet
Warranty Fight

All, I have attached some pictures representing some issues I am having with my car. My ride has only 35k on it and I was 3k miles short of my schedule B service but I had only had the car for 7k and it sounded like I had a lifter issue which is covered under warranty anyways.

Sure enough I was right with the hydrollic lifter issue, but while in there, my mechanic found so much more. I had build up in the oil injector ports that was clogging up the proper flow of oil and that had cause my cams to start to scar.

Through this process the warranty was covering everything. New parts for the lifter etc but when they saw this, and found out that to replace the cam, lifter, everything, MB only sells the entire head which for both sides was $3400 each. They declined the new parts and wanted to add used or salvaged parts which I denied.

With everything out the door, the bill (if I was paying it, would exceed 12k) is too much and the company did not want to cover.

The two options I have at this moment are which they are happy to do:

Stay on course and finish the work using mostly new parts but the heads would be used salvaged parts. OR...

Get a replacement engine.

The replacement engine comes complete and has a total of (1) mile one it. Not 100k or even 10k, but 1 mile. Its basically a new engine.

I dont know but this second option sounds better to me but I wanted to hear from this community on what you would do. If the second option is chosen, I cannot install a new dash cause that would reset the miles and thats illegal cause it does not represent the amount of miles on the car, but the engine itself.

Please help. Thanks everyone.
Attached Thumbnails Warranty Fight-photo100.jpg   Warranty Fight-photo101.jpg   Warranty Fight-photo102.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Replacement engine. Would be a no brainer if it was my ride. Good luck with it.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I agree with Mike - take the new engine. Not only does this leave less for the dealer to do (i.e. screw up), it gives you a brand new engine so any potential problems with your engine in regards to abnormal wear, leaks, etc. will not be a problem. As for the mileage, yes, the odometer should read the overall mileage of the vehicle, not the engine. Remember, there are a lot more parts to wear besides the engine itself - brakes, exhaust parts, transmission, electronics, etc.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 AM

2015 E400 CAB, 2010 Jeep Compass, 2009 E350 Sedan
Totally agree with the above two posts, jump on it and let us know what you decide.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:00 AM

I too vote for replacement engine.

Good luck.

PS Might be of interest to other forum members to know which insurance/warranty company you dealt with.