CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

how to re-install 3rd brake light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz CL600
how to re-install 3rd brake light

hi all,

so i installed a carbon fiber rear wing today (looks great, will put pictures up tomorrow after i clean the car). everything went well, except after removing the 3rd brake light, i can't figure out how the thing goes back in. it doesn't appear that the clips line up with anything and seemed to just be floating in there. any tips?

thanks!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by austinclk550
hi all,

so i installed a carbon fiber rear wing today (looks great, will put pictures up tomorrow after i clean the car). everything went well, except after removing the 3rd brake light, i can't figure out how the thing goes back in. it doesn't appear that the clips line up with anything and seemed to just be floating in there. any tips?

thanks!

I did mine 3 years ago so I don't remember much. I think the clip does not line up to anything. The back of the light have double sided tape that acted as seal and glue the light in place from the out side of the trunk. From the inside of the trunk, you have a bracket acted like spring that pull the light in against the trunk when tight the two nuts. Btw, hand tight the nut ONLY or the light will crack in the long run.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Mercedes Benz CL600
Originally Posted by Klinh
I did mine 3 years ago so I don't remember much. I think the clip does not line up to anything. The back of the light have double sided tape that acted as seal and glue the light in place from the out side of the trunk. From the inside of the trunk, you have a bracket acted like spring that pull the light in against the trunk when tight the two nuts. Btw, hand tight the nut ONLY or the light will crack in the long run.
thanks, that helped alot. it was slightly complicated by the fact that the red lens was cracked and didn't seal well (sounds like this happens to everyone). lots of superglue later, the process is:

1) make sure the red outer lens is secured tightly to the LED light bar portion (within the beige plastic)

2) fish the light plug up into the trunk opening, and plug in the light bar (light bar outside the trunk, wire going into the opening)

3) take the metal bracket and position it behind the opening in the trunk

4) insert the red outer lens + light bar combo into the hole (that's what she said?), line up the bolts and center clip with the metal bracket

5) gently hand thread the nuts (she may have said that too) until the whole thing is tight

6) figure out how to keep it sealed from the outside (more superglue in my case) as the gray foam gasket is likely gone/eaten away

7)