CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Update CLK320 2005 Nav? Aux input display?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mercedes CLK320
Update CLK320 2005 Nav? Aux input display?

Just bought a 2005 CLK320 and have a few questions:

1. Can I update the nav (or would MB of Beverly Hills have already done the latest for me before I bought it?). It was missing quite a few roads on the drive home.

2. Is there a way to control an auxiliary input via the in dash navigation? I plugged my iPhone in and it plays, but I couldnt change songs or anything on my screen, I would have to do it on the phone (which is closed away in the glove box).

3. The car has the premium harmon kardon speakers, but I didn't love the sound- is there a better setting to put them on (optimal setting), or should I add new speakers or some subs? Anyone have any recommendations?

Any other tips on using the nav or any other features are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Update CLK320 2005 Nav? Aux input display?-img_8035.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Originally Posted by nmayne
1. Can I update the nav (or would MB of Beverly Hills have already done the latest for me before I bought it?). It was missing quite a few roads on the drive home.
I highly doubt the dealer would have updated this for you since there is a cost involved. You can buy the latest disc for $200+. A better option maybe to buy a "slightly used" year old disc on eBay. Just make sure you get the one compatible with your CLK's COMAND.

2. Is there a way to control an auxiliary input via the in dash navigation? I plugged my iPhone in and it plays, but I couldnt change songs or anything on my screen, I would have to do it on the phone (which is closed away in the glove box).
MBZ makes a factory iPod interface. It replaces the AUX input with a dock cable that plugs into your iPod or iPhone. You get song text and playlist selection, but not on the COMAND unit - it only displays on the MFD on the instrument cluster and you use the steering wheel buttons to control it. It's a limitation with COMAND - it's not an "open" system so it has no way to understand an iPod, but the MFD is somewhat open. Anyhow, there are some aftermarket options that replace the CD changer and use it's controls for the iPod. The Dension Gateway does this as well as a few other devices, including some that will handle Bluetooth handsfree phones. I guess that might also be something you'd want. Bluetooth is complicated. If you want both BT and iPod, then look for one of the aftermarket solutions.

3. The car has the premium harmon kardon speakers, but I didn't love the sound- is there a better setting to put them on (optimal setting), or should I add new speakers or some subs? Anyone have any ecommendations?
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do there unless you want to rip out the whole system. I guess you could add an aftermarket amp with high-level inputs, but that's probably going to be as much trouble as replacing the whole system. In fact, if you want iPod and BT, then that might be the way to go - get a good Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. aftermarket unit and have it all. Since the HK system uses fiber optic for the audio, there is no analog audio wiring from the dash to the speakers - it's fiber to the HK amp in the trunk, then high-level analog from there to the speakers. You'd have to run new analog audio lines form the dash to your new amp in the trunk, but that's not too difficult - there are nice large wiring channels under the door sills.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
You can add an aftermarket amp to your stock HK system by tapping to the stock sub ( low level) but you gotta custom the RCA cable which is not hard at all and the rest is just like you installing the sub/amp to one of those Honda. I have made the DIY some where here on the forums.