CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Noisy A/C

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 11:54 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts
Question Noisy A/C

I just began hearing a humming/buzzing sound coming from the engine compartment when the A/C is on? Seems to either be there all the time or just when turning a/c off. Sounds like its coming from the A/C compressor. I posted more details in the tech section but please post your responses here.

Thanks all.

Last edited by RJC; 08-17-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 ML350 GAS 4Matic
It could be the secondary radiator cooling fan coming on when the engine is hot and the AC is on. I used to think my AC compressor was making noise until I figured out it was the cooling fan. This car has the absolute loudest fan I have ever heard on any vehicle. Outside of the car it sounds like a jet landing. Inside, I hear a grumbling sound and the car shakes a little when I'm sitting idle.

I understand there is a tech service bulletin for this where they reduce the speed of the fan. I will have this done at my next visit.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:23 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 139 Posts
Thanks Eich. The noise is from the A/C compressor (I put my head as close to the compressor as I could and the sound seems to be there) when I turn the A/C off the noise stops but the cooling fan keeps running at a constant speed. I made a post in the tech section a Patrick an MBTech in Europe said there may be an issue with this new type of compressor (clutch always engaged and an electronic valve controls things). My A/C is nice and cold but the noise is new and dosn't sound right. I get a vibration from the cooling fan too when its running fast, that can be corrected by better securing the fan shroud/housing (my dealer did this on my 03). If you check you'll see the fan assembly is a loose fit not very secure at all and that's a big part of the vibration.

Last edited by RJC; 08-18-2003 at 08:26 PM.