CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Center Console Flashing When Headlamps are on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MKIV Supra, Evo VIII, CLK500
Center Console Flashing When Headlamps are on?

Hello, Newbie to the forums here. Just bought myself my first Benz (2004 CLK500). After years of owning only Imports and BMW's. Enjoying it for the most part, other then a few bugs here and there. One of the worst ones is at night when I turn on my headlamps my center console above the radio flashes non stop. Its driving me nuts! I cant seem to find any answers online on what might be the problem. So I'm hoping one of you guys will give me a clue. Below is a short demonstration of the problem I'm having. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOEv3...ature=youtu.be

Im also throwing Codes P0444 and P0102, For MAF and EVAP. I already took out and cleaned the MAF with CRC Cleaner, Didnt look dirty at all to begin with. So is there any way that the EVAP Code would be setting off the MAF also? or vice versa?

Last edited by St3alth; 04-22-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK350 '06
Originally Posted by Cody14sk8ter
Hello, Newbie to the forums here. Just bought myself my first Benz (2004 CLK500). After years of owning only Imports and BMW's. Enjoying it for the most part, other then a few bugs here and there. One of the worst ones is at night when I turn on my headlamps my center console above the radio flashes non stop. Its driving me nuts! I cant seem to find any answers online on what might be the problem.
Isn't that the Hazard light switch? Try pressing it down to turn it off?

Sounds like you may have a wiring problem?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by California
Isn't that the Hazard light switch? Try pressing it down to turn it off?

Sounds like you may have a wiring problem?
Its hard to tell in the video. But all of the buttons surrounding the hazard button are also flashing. But yes turning it on and off was my first reaction when I saw the light flashing. The Hazard lights still work when pressed, but the surrounding buttons still flash also.

Last edited by St3alth; 04-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK350 '06
Originally Posted by Cody14sk8ter
Its hard to tell in the video. But all of the buttons surrounding the hazard button are also flashing. But yes turning it on and off was my first reaction when I saw the light flashing. The Hazard lights still work when pressed, but the surrounding buttons still flash also.
Sounds like the previous owner switched out some bulbs or lights and got wires crossed. Are these the codes that are being thrown?

I'd call your local MB parts dealer not the service dept., and just ask them if a 3rd party bulb or part could be doing that to the hazard lights?

Also, ask the previous owner?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:43 PM

Also was wondering what this is? Looks like a dipstick is missing? or is it just some sort of vent?

This is at the rear of the motor close to the MAF

Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Those lights are controlled by the CAN bus, so there's no wiring or bulbs to deal with. My guess is that the controller on the panel has gone bad.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Rudeney
Those lights are controlled by the CAN bus, so there's no wiring or bulbs to deal with. My guess is that the controller on the panel has gone bad.
What exactly is the CAN bus? And do you happen to know the part number for it? or is it something I could possibly fix on my own?

I'm starting to find out how difficult it is to find Information and parts on these Mercedes Benz. All my google searches on parts and troubleshooting seems to come up with very little information.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 999 Likes on 868 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The CAN bus is a way that different devices in the car communicate. That panel has the possibility of having dozens functions - hazard lights and its flasher, the seat heaters (each with three setting), door locks, airbag indicator, headrest folding, rear sunshade, etc. Each one of those functions and indicator lights would normally need an individual electrical lead for control making for one large wiring harness. Instead, the panel has a small computer circuit that sends and receives the signals to control those functions and indicator lights over a few wires digitally. Sort of like a computer network - a lot of different data can be sent over a few wires. Much of your car works this way. When you turn on the headlights, instead of a wire being energized to light that panel, it sends a command over the vehicle's CAN bus that says "headlights on". The circuit in the panel reads this and then turns on it's backlighting. Since the other lights in the car seem to work properly, the headlight switch is sending the correct command over the CAN bus and other devise are properly receiving it, my guess is it's the controller on this panel that is bad. You have to replace the entire panel. It's specific to your VIN (based on optional equipment) and is around $300-$400.