CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

a few minor quibbles/complaints

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few minor quibbles/complaints

OK, don't get me wrong... I LOVE my CLK500 Cabrio. Amazing car. But like all cars, especially in the first year of production for a new model, it has a few problems.

After 600 miles, here are ones I've found that bother me.
[list=1][*]With the top down and windows down, at speeds over about 40 mph, the drivers' seat belt "flutters"... it's coming from the part behind your shoulder where the belt enters the car body... wind passing over this causes it to flutter which actually gets quite annoying after a while. Anyone else getting this? maybe I just need to ask the dealer if more tension can be put on the belt, but i suspect they don't mess with seat belt adjustments for safety reasons.
[*]The logic for the operation of the soft top via various methods seems odd. You push down on window buttons to lower them, lift up to raise them... simple enough. The top is the opposite, push down on the button to raise it, lift UP on it to lower it. Huh?? What makes this worse is that there's a cool "secret" feature where that same button can lower all the windows at once with a double-click, can raise them all at once with a double-lift. The same button uses "down" for open-air windows but also down for "close the top". completely backwards in my opinion.
[*]The top-operation confusion gets worse when you look at what the smart key does... in fact, in my mind it works right via the smart key. The "unlock" button, when held, lowers the window and lowers the top. The "lock" button raises the window and raises the top. Makes sense... why does the dash switch not use the same logic... one action for lowering things, one for raising things.
[*]OK, so the smartkey is smart (according to my #3 above), right? Well not quite. All recent MBs have the ability to use the smart key to open all the windows and close all the windows from outside the vehicle. Great. But on a cabrio, you can't just do that, the top will open or close WITH the windows. They should have designed it so you can leave the vehicle and via the smart key raise the windows by holding the lock button. once windows are up, if you keep holding it, THEN top should close. Same with opening... offer 2-steps. Often when approaching my sealed car and thinking it's probably hot in there, I want to use the smartkey to lower all then windows but may not want to lower the roof. Same when parking... I sometimes want to raise the windows but not the top. No way to do this (via the smartkey) on the cabrio. All or nothing.
[*]The foglights are useless... purely for design/looks in my opinion. Maybe it's becuase I have the bixenons that they just have zero affect with the lowbeams, but that's the case. On a completely dark road late at night driving with low beams on, try switching on and off fogs and see if you get more side visibility. Nope, at least not with the xenons. essentially no affect at all. OK, now before someone says they're for fog... yes, i know that, but if they don't add any low-pointing side or forward light, they won't help much there. In my Porsche, putting on the fogs made a HUGE difference to see more of the sides of the roads up close at night (and in fog!).
[*]Glove box is the one poor-quality part in this car, especially the door which seems flimsy, even "flexible". And of course that wonderful leatherbound holder for the owners manual just BARELY fits in the glove box, and ONLY if you put it in just right and slam the door closed. bad design.
[*]Center storage console: They put a very nice extra blower for the rear-seat vents, which I appreciate. But adding this took away all storage in the center armrest box other than the little tray on top for a phone. The old larger compartment underneath it is now completely filled with the blower. It's still there, there's still a door, but no room for anything bigger than about 3 napkins. There is really very little storage for things in this car. Since the glovebox doesn't lock, the only lockable storage other than the trunk is now basically useless. Convertibles, IMO, need some lockable storage inside the cabin.
[*]Cupholders... Why couldn't the fit the trick double-cup holders our E-series has in the center console? the single dash-mounted one is dumb... if they had to put it in the dash, they should have found a way to make it a double holder.
[*]I'm a technophile, gadget-lover, and very comfotable with all types of devices and interfaces... yet the interface and design for changing the various settings on the dash via the steering wheel buttons is just plain bizarre. + and - to change an option is pretty straight forward, but getting in and out of menus is very odd until you figure out that "up" means "enter and go to next item" and "down" means "back". With some (only some) options, changing them brings up a message to "Press 'R' to save this change". There's no "R" button anywhere... it's the little instrument cluster button with no label that's used to reset the trip odometer and change brightness on the dash.
[*]Has anyone figured out why the "convenience entry" feature where the front seats move forward when they're tilted only works some of the time? And the "easy exit" feature settable on the dash to let the seat move back when key is removed only works for certain seat positions. very odd.
[*]Windblocker works OK... just a slight difference in buffeting when the windows are up. It's not a bad design, pretty easy to install and stow. Wish there were a way to secure it in the trunk rather than just letting it slide all around in there. it fits great on that little shelf way in the back, but no easy way to keep it there.
[*]Center dash vents. 4 ADDITIONAL manual controls/dials up high on the dash for just these two center vents in addition to the multitude of settings on the main temperature console? They're near impossible to figure out and make do what you want. Come to think of it, the whole dual-climate controls don't seem well thought out to me since you really don't get separate zones just by dialing in different temps... you'd also have to mess with these center dash dials as well. The "Auto" function should really be "automatic" - in control of all vent settings, but it's not. And I find I ALWAYS raise and lower the temperature with both driver and passenger side temp setting which is a pain. Other vehicles have a way to lock the two sides together which would be nice. [/list=1]
OK, before I get flamed... please understand. I've had a lot of great cars and this car may well be the best I've ever owned for all the right reasons... Believe me, I couldn't even possibly list the huge number of things they got right, the things that work so well, and the many things I love in this vehicle. I just like to honestly share a few little odd quirks that bother me with current and future owners, maybe even a mercedes engineer will read this and address something I've raised. Or maybe someone else has found workarounds and ideas that will help me.

--josh

Last edited by joshg; 08-26-2003 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 06:04 PM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
I could'nt agree more about the flapping seat belt - even with just the front window down, it gets pretty annoying. It almost makes the lack of a B-pillar a waste of engineering. I have never owned a convertible but I have since noticed that many run the seat belt through a "loop" on the back of the drivers seat, which I assume is to alleviate that very problem.
Otherwise, like you, I absolutely love the car.
All of your observations were very well stated also - forwarding to MB might not be a terrible idea!
Hope you enjoy your car for many years to come!!!

'
Old 08-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Almost a Member!

'02 BMW M3 convertible
advising MB of the problems!!

Originally posted by reserved
forwarding to MB might not be a terrible idea!

It would be a GREAT idea!!!

Every once in a while they do pay attention. You expressed it clearly and logically, and I hope you take the time to get it to MB.
Too bad for me they won't pay attention before I get my convertible which is "in production" at this very moment.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:37 PM

'01 ML430, '03 C320 Coupe MT, '14 GL450
Re: a few minor quibbles/complaints

Originally posted by joshg
[list=1][*]With the top down and windows down, at speeds over about 40 mph, the drivers' seat belt "flutters"... it's coming from the part behind your shoulder where the belt enters the car body... wind passing over this causes it to flutter which actually gets quite annoying after a while. Anyone else getting this? maybe I just need to ask the dealer if more tension can be put on the belt, but i suspect they don't mess with seat belt adjustments for safety reasons.
Most convertibles suffer from this in one way or the other. The only real fix is to have the seat-belt integrated with the seat, so that there is less seatbelt exposed to flutter. Our SLK had similar behaviour, but it did not bother me as much as it does you, even though it's a little worse on our CLK

[*]The logic for the operation of the soft top via various methods seems odd. You push down on window buttons to lower them, lift up to raise them... simple enough. The top is the opposite, push down on the button to raise it, lift UP on it to lower it. Huh?? What makes this worse is that there's a cool "secret" feature where that same button can lower all the windows at once with a double-click, can raise them all at once with a double-lift. The same button uses "down" for open-air windows but also down for "close the top". completely backwards in my opinion.
I find it very intuitive - up/down for windows up/down, forward/backwards for top up/down. I.e. for the top the top will move in the direction that you move the button. Neither my wife or I have ever had the slightest confusion. Also, the "secret" double-click for windows is clearly explained in the manual.

[*]Center storage console: They put a very nice extra blower for the rear-seat vents, which I appreciate. But adding this took away all storage in the center armrest box other than the little tray on top for a phone. The old larger compartment underneath it is now completely filled with the blower. It's still there, there's still a door, but no room for anything bigger than about 3 napkins. There is really very little storage for things in this car. Since the glovebox doesn't lock, the only lockable storage other than the trunk is now basically useless. Convertibles, IMO, need some lockable storage inside the cabin.
Agreed - way too few storage spaces in the cabin.

[*]Cupholders... Why couldn't the fit the trick double-cup holders our E-series has in the center console? the single dash-mounted one is dumb... if they had to put it in the dash, they should have found a way to make it a double holder.
Don't drink and drive

[*]Has anyone figured out why the "convenience entry" feature where the front seats move forward when they're tilted only works some of the time? And the "easy exit" feature settable on the dash to let the seat move back when key is removed only works for certain seat positions. very odd.
The "move forward" depends on how far back the front seats are - they will only move forward if they are quite far back.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:33 AM

Okay..thats the bad.......

..please share with us what the good things are and your impressions.?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:25 AM

Re: Okay..thats the bad.......

Originally posted by Nebraska99
..please share with us what the good things are and your impressions.?

Thanks.
Wow... as I said, that would be a much longer list. probably deserving of its own thread...

But here are a few to start:[list=1][*]The car is far more solid than I'd have thought for a cabrio... handles better than I expected and shows no flexes, creaks or shudders over rough pavement.
[*]The engine is very powerful, has a wonderful "growl" not typically associated with MB and just has great sounds at any speed.
[*]The transmission is excellent... this is my first automatic in the last 10 cars I've had and it's not as painful as I expected. I use the manual speed-shift feature quite often and love it.
[*]The Bixenon headlights are just incredible. I've never seen high beams that throw off that much light... truly amazing!
[*]The fit and finish on the upholstery and trim are all excellent.
[*]The top operation is excellent... fast, smooth... almost "choreographed"... quite a show.
[*]The seats are the best-designed in the industry... comfortable, supportive... even for very long drives. No one does seats better than mercedes.
[*]More trunk space than i'd have thought, top up or down. Just discovered the little cubbies under the trunk carpet that let me store car cleaning supplies. nice touch.
[*]Back seats are great for adults, not just kids. plenty of room for a cabrio.
[*]great steering wheel mounted controls for most functions. (only wish i could change audio sources from steering wheel and "mute" for a phone call like my jag has.)
[*]Awesome, I mean truly awesome dash gauges. Beautiful, informative, clear, well laid out. And stunning at night! Neat cruise-control indicator showing set speed and a bar graph around the speedo showing where it's going to keep your speed! Electronic display isn't "gimmicky".
[*]Prestigious appearance without screaming "look at me!"
[*]PLENTY fast without screaming "race me!"[/list=1]

my overall impressions are it's an amazing car and probably the best all-around car i've ever owned. The quality, performance, styling, and features are all so much above anything else in its class... there really was no other choice for me and I have no regrets at all. Even for the considerable money this car costs, it's one I find truly worth every penny. You don't look at it or own it and wonder why it costs what it does.

--josh
Old 08-27-2003, 12:05 PM

Thanks Josh...

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to do that. Mine just got built and I cant wait!! Not a cabrio though.