CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

coolant issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
coolant issue *updated*

So i searched a bit on the forums and everything led me to a faulty radiator. I dont think mine is specifically a radiator issue. it seems to be coming out of the midpipe of the car. But i noticed after I came back to my parking spot last night that there was a small puddle underneath.

I turned on the car and got a low coolant message on the dash. I filled up the coolant earlier this morning. It only seems to leak when the car is on. I wouldnt say its an excessive leak but I wouldnt want it to go into my tranny to have that dreaded transmission issue again.

I couldnt snap a great pic but i hope its enough to point me in the right direction of how to get this fixed.

*update*
so i traced the hose from the coolant reservoir. the leak seems to be coming from the top hose of the radiotor... should i be looking into getting a new hose or getting a new clamp for it. that rubber piece seems to be a thick.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails coolant issue-img_1959.jpg  

Last edited by bheng; 05-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-06-2013 | 11:16 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
If it were me, I'd go ahead and replace the hose, too, even if it is just a loose/broken clamp.
Old 05-07-2013 | 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK 320
i think i found the culprit. after some more probing. i realized that the tube that connects to the top of the radiator was loose. I pushed it in and the leak stopped. the car was too hot for me to loosen the clamp and retight it. so i will wait until the morning to see if that resolves the issue

do you think these hoses are considered a consumable at 115k?
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:00 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Years ago, we'd replace hoses and belts ever 25K or when they broke (whichever came first ) but now, with better materials and manufacturing, these parts last much longer. It's not uncommon to see cars with 200K miles using the original hoses. But, as a general rule, when a clamp is loose, I replace the hose. Generally, I find that the clamp is loose because the hose is over-compressed and it will still leak even with a new clamp. In your case, I might be tempted to replace that hose - just because it's so inexpensive and easy.