CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Took my 06 CLK 350 on a road trip... smelled burny

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK350 '06
Took my 06 CLK 350 on a road trip... smelled burny

I drove my CLK pretty hard a few days ago. The tranny had been drained, new dust filters put on, oil changed, new brakes == 56k on speedo -- but smelled a burny smell after first leg of the trip when I got out of the car.

Do you guys recommend me having the engine steam cleaned? The guy I sold my c230 04 with only 40k miles on it a few months ago is steam cleaning the engine, says it helps dissipate heat?

I got a steady 28mpg and a tiny bit more on the road trip, that was good.

And the tranny is finnicky in the morning. A little bumpy. My MB SA says the bumpy tranny jerks in the morning are "to be expected"? Is this true? Should I have the transmission fluid tested to double check these guys did a real drain on the transmission? Yes my car has a drain plug.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:37 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I would not steam clean the engine - there are too many sensitive electronics there that you don't want to get wet. The transmission should not be finicky. It might delay an upshift in when cold in very cold temps, but that's it. Bumpy shifts can be symptomatic of low fluid. Who did the fluid/filter change? If the dealer did it, I would insist that they re-check the level. On the 722.9, it's not an easy process to check the fluid level and if the tech doesn't do it "just right" (the engine at just the proper temp) it can easily be improperly filled. Also, you might have them flash the latest TCU code - the early 722.9s were bad about some harsh or "hunting" shifts. The new software helps tremendously.

The burning smell could have be from new brakes, or you could have an oil leak. A common leak on the M272 are the cam plugs. They are on the back of the left-bank head. Run your hand down there to check for oil (a white paper towel can help). Here's a photo another member posted looking down from the top at them:

Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK350 '06
Originally Posted by Rudeney
I would not steam clean the engine - there are too many sensitive electronics there that you don't want to get wet. The transmission should not be finicky. It might delay an upshift in when cold in very cold temps, but that's it. Bumpy shifts can be symptomatic of low fluid. Who did the fluid/filter change? If the dealer did it, I would insist that they re-check the level. On the 722.9, it's not an easy process to check the fluid level and if the tech doesn't do it "just right" (the engine at just the proper temp) it can easily be improperly filled. Also, you might have them flash the latest TCU code - the early 722.9s were bad about some harsh or "hunting" shifts. The new software helps tremendously.

The burning smell could have be from new brakes, or you could have an oil leak. A common leak on the M272 are the cam plugs. They are on the back of the left-bank head. Run your hand down there to check for oil (a white paper towel can help). Here's a photo another member posted looking down from the top at them:

Thanks Rodney, that answers a lot. Shocked at how "jerky" the transmission is on start up -- weather in SoCal is nearing summer temperatures at the moment.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Cambox plugs, cambox covers or transmission cooler unions are likely source of a leak onto the exhaust. It takes very little oil/fluid to smell.

See:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ngine-bay.html
Old 08-07-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
oil leak from CAM plugs

I'm so glad I'm in this forum. Took car for service and was told that I have an oil leak from the CAM plugs...$325
After reading this thread, it made sense. I sometimes smelled a burned smell and the engine seems to be rough. Plus the Texas heat probably contributed too.

thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I hope you laughed at their $325 price, walked over to the parts counter and bought them for about $25 and went home to replace them yourself!