CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK550 pushes 478 HP ( at pumpgas )

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
It's a touch crowd here, that's the nature of forums these days

Car looks good and runs strong, and makes you happy so that is all that matters. When someone quotes a specific HP after mods, and hasn't Dyno'd it... it's not hard to assume he simply added up the quoted HP benefits of all his mods. Is this true? Almost certainly not, but it's not like he just made it up.

100 Hp from Tune, Heads, Exhaust... probably something like 40 hp from tune, 40 from heads, 20 from exhaust. Again this isn't accurate but I can see each of those parts quoting those benefits.

If his car is 410 hp or 475 it doesn't really matter to me, he seems to enjoy it
Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 192 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by RBYCC
And if you're stating you accelerated to 80KMH, still very slow getting there !!!!

So why tout your 478HP and not get your foot into it ???
You don't even sound like your making power..

How did you come by your 478Hp..
Is it BHP or RWP, pulls done on an inertia or load type dyno.
Backed up by any 1/4 mile runs or even with a G-Tech Pro or something similar ?

If you can't back it up, then why even talk about it ??????????????

This is what 500HP sounds like and how it moves the speedo...

http://www.merzedes.tv/tv/watch.php?vid=ce9e64edc

Yup I have the same questions.

Also it's not a matter of hating on his car or whatever. It's his car and he can do whatever...and say whatever about it. However, if you say you have 500hp be prepared to explain it (cause hey, maybe some of us want to do the same mods you know) or sound like a fool when you can't provide any justification.

Feel free to impress your friends as much as you want with "500HP" but this is a car forum. Let's keep things realistic or next thing you know I will post that I got 40hp from wrapping my intake tubes with heat reflecting foil

Anyway, looking forward to the dyno numbers.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:24 PM

e63 NA
Haha well said Crazy.

Not trying to defend his claims just assuming he pulled the numbers from the vendor etc.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK550
I hope everyone realizes that a promised 40 hp gain from one mod and a promised 40 hp gain from another mod does not equal +80 hp. Tuning doesn't work like that.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Clearly. It's also funny that he posted another vid on youtube on May 13th where he was claiming 380hp. I guess that was before changing the internals and tuning the car hmmm.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Just again watch the video and listen and observe carefully.
OP claims cam, heads, pistons and headers.

Pistons mean higher compression and heads indicate higher flow.

Any performance cam in a NA motor will give more overlap.
Overlap equates to a rough idle.
View the tach and how smooth the idle is in the video.

Kleemann headers be they short or long tube are not cast but tubular stainless steel.
Inherent of a non cast header is a metallic ping through the RPM range.
The exhaust doesn't even sound like it has been modified.
Kleemann exhaust on a C55 that dyno'd at 377RWP...100 less then the OP !!!

The vehicle in the OP video sounds as docile as a stock CLK550.
Let's get some pix of the engine bay and under the car to see the Kleemann setup...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
Originally Posted by Pufftrees

Car looks good and runs strong, and makes you happy so that is all that matters. When someone quotes a specific HP after mods, and hasn't Dyno'd it... it's not hard to assume he simply added up the quoted HP benefits of all his mods. Is this true? Almost certainly not, but it's not like he just made it up.

100 Hp from Tune, Heads, Exhaust... probably something like 40 hp from tune, 40 from heads, 20 from exhaust. Again this isn't accurate but I can see each of those parts quoting those benefits.

If his car is 410 hp or 475 it doesn't really matter to me, he seems to enjoy it
Yes the butt-o-meter lets me really enjoy my car and to these that want proof just show me Im more then on the right track. Im not to familiar with modding, there are pros that know better. Like mentioned I really enjoy it and just because I dont wanted to make an accident, doesnt mean my HP output is not true.
Im gonna keep on driving it till my new ride arrives...Im not sure if I really have to deal with all that kindergarten to proof anything...well at least youngsters got a vid ref of a heavily modded 550 :-)
Old 05-20-2013, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by vsix
Yes the butt-o-meter lets me really enjoy my car and to these that want proof just show me Im more then on the right track. Im not to familiar with modding, there are pros that know better. Like mentioned I really enjoy it and just because I dont wanted to make an accident, doesnt mean my HP output is not true.
Im gonna keep on driving it till my new ride arrives...Im not sure if I really have to deal with all that kindergarten to proof anything...well at least youngsters got a vid ref of a heavily modded 550 :-)
Actually if you had a modded car you'd be proud to show it off...regardless if you knew something about it or not. Also, the only thing heavily modded about your CLK is the stock painted wheels . I'm 32 and I doubt anyone here is much younger than you

Let's see a shot of the engine bay regardless of power. Surely some mods will be visible right?
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier

Dang Pufftrees!!!! You must be 162+ years to be able to lay down that kind of wisdom....

Well said; thou I understand the inquiries....
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
One thing this "youngster" knows is when you rely on the "butt-o-meter" it shows the connection between your butt and your brains....
At least you're finally being honest in that you aren't familiar with modding....
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM

CLS550
Why does it say CLK55 on the trunk and why does it have the AMG side badges of a CLK55? The video didn't pan to the right side of the trunk, but my gut tells me that it says ///AMG.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:58 PM

CLS550
Why doesn't this CLK550 have an AMG style body? The front bumper, side skirt, rear bumper are those of a 350, and the wheels are also from a 350 and painted. I know because I own a 350 myself. 550s ought to have an AMG bumper with mesh grill. Those fog lights are so familiar to me.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:17 PM

CLS550
That car is too slow to even compare to a stock CLK55 AMG, let alone be more powerful than a CLK63 AMG
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 AM

2006 C55, 1995 C36
To be clear beforehand, don't take this as me being a jerk to you. It just seems to me that you don't get the mindset behind the responses you have received so far.

Perhaps what you should take from these responses is that whatever "pro" told you these mods got you 478whp is flat-out wrong. Beautiful ride, awesome that you are modding and love it. I'd LOVE to see more heavily modded 550's...but no way anyone here will believe you are putting down that much power.

The fact that you have your car badged with 5.5 AMG side badges and as a CLK55 on the rear most likely is reinforcing people's opinion that you are at best misguided or at the worst full of crap. I can get wanting the 5.5 badge, but not pulling off the 0 from the 550.

The C55 in the vid above is mine. This is what a PTE-cammed, Kleemann header 5.5 sounds like

Granted, I have no cats or resonator, but your vid does indeed sound like a stock ride. Not saying you're being dishonest, just pointing out why you are getting so much heat from knowledgeable members.

The M273 undeniably has better flowing heads than my 3-valve M113 head, non-VVT single cam setup, but I'd guess whatever additional benefit your cams/heads/pistons might provide are equivalent to my other mods (DCAI, crank pulley, no cats, X-pipe, custom EC dyno tune). I find it inconceivable that a piston swap, headwork and headers will give 100hp over what I have seen with my technologically inferior M113.

Keep an open mind to what the folks here are saying. It only got really hostile when you refuted their vast experience. Unfortunately, when you do get around to getting your ride on the rollers, I'd bet that you will be disappointed since it sounds like a "pro" has thrown out numbers that are NOT realistic. My experience has been that if you approach things with a humble attitude, those 'in the know' will be more than willing to help. When you try to educate the educated, things get ugly quick.

I hope you do get your gorgeous CLK to a dyno or the drag strip some time soon. I really would love to see how you do! Also, more info on what the specifics are as far as what head work, what pistons and what cams would be nice.

Last edited by dre5373; 05-21-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Hmmmmmm....
Old 05-21-2013, 06:45 AM

CLS550
The OP appears to be targeting a North American audience. I've never heard of a European touting a 550. The so-called 550s are marketed as 500 Avant Gardes everywhere outside of North America, including Germany. That makes the 55 badge pretty darn deliberate because the common excuse is that the 0 fell off. Hahaha. As far as i know, those 17 inch wheels are marketed only with the V6 engined cars all over the world. The V6s are great cars. No shame on owning a V6. They are just not AMG performing. Look I have three V6 MBs, a V8 MB and I know what 500+ hp feels like because I have one of those too (not MB). The car in the video does not have anywhere close to 500 hp. More like 300 hp or the high 200s.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by iyeoh
Look I have three V6 MBs, a V8 MB and I know what 500+ hp feels like because I have one of those too (not MB). The car in the video does not have anywhere close to 500 hp. More like 300 hp or the high 200s.
+1 ^^^^

Once again watch the tach on the video.
Even a part throttle, soft pedal acceleration on a modified high horsepower motor winds the tach up quickly.
I've got a lowly stock internal M103-12V with a period TurboTechnics twin turbo that has pulled on a Mustang load dyno 262RWP/302 torque. Even with being as cautious as the OP accelerated in the video, it will accelerate much faster then his claimed almost 500HP build.
Conversely my 500HP CLK63 Black Series even on part throttle throws you back in the seat.
500HP in a W209 chassis makes for at least a high 11 second or faster car which equates to rapid acceleration regardless of application of the throttle...
But what do I know, I'm just one of the "youngsters" that the OP refers too...

P.S. Warning to the OP:
"Frequent insertions of foreign objects into the butt-o-meter will cause less then accurate results and require recalibration."

Last edited by RBYCC; 05-21-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
+1 ^^^^

P.S. Warning to the OP:
"Frequent insertions of foreign objects into the butt-o-meter will cause less then accurate results and require recalibration."

You guys are being too nice to a heavily re-badged V6.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM

CLS550
In conclusion, thanks to the old-style center console and the old cupholder, the said vehicle is a W209 2005 CLK350 V6 that puts out 268 hp or 200 kW.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:41 PM

JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
+1 ^^^^

Once again watch the tach on the video.
Even a part throttle, soft pedal acceleration on a modified high horsepower motor winds the tach up quickly.
I've got a lowly stock internal M103-12V with a period TurboTechnics twin turbo that has pulled on a Mustang load dyno 262RWP/302 torque. Even with being as cautious as the OP accelerated in the video, it will accelerate much faster then his claimed almost 500HP build.
Conversely my 500HP CLK63 Black Series even on part throttle throws you back in the seat.
500HP in a W209 chassis makes for at least a high 11 second or faster car which equates to rapid acceleration regardless of application of the throttle...
But what do I know, I'm just one of the "youngsters" that the OP refers too...

P.S. Warning to the OP:
The reason why I came to the conclusion that you are not older then 18, at least your mindset, is the way how you to talk to me?

You have megacrazy as your username?

You speak about **** insertions in a carforum?

Listen kid, lad, youngster Im still older then you and your affiliation to analsex is your thing and shouldnt be used in a carforum.

To all normal members, like I mentioned the dyno will be done in about two month and since you guys really trying to help me ( not that I got screwed) Im also more then interested to actually see the newest numbers.

I have a dynosheet allready but thats without the "claimed" internal work.
I mean the whole upper part had been swapped, my motor looks different now as it looked before.

You cant just swap the upper part of a motor out, right?
Thats exactly how I see it, they truly swapped the cams, headwork had been done and I think bigger pistons had been dropped in.
Kleeman shorties are also in there, you know guys Im not claiming Im driving a turbo R with and rock a vsix.

I do have/ had a 550 but what actually it is now, will hopefully a enginebay pic clarify, cool?

:-)
Old 05-21-2013, 01:42 PM

CLS550
+1 ^^^^

On my Porsche, even with turbo lag, I can't more than feather the throttle without severe kickback and manage to get the cops to not notice. I'm sick of traffic light acceleration tickets.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks man, for sure Ill check the numbers on the dyno.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kevwood
Hmmmmmm....
Shhhhhhhhhhhhh....
Old 05-21-2013, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by iyeoh
In conclusion, thanks to the old-style center console and the old cupholder, the said vehicle is a W209 2005 CLK350 V6 that puts out 268 hp or 200 kW.
Did anyone else notice his username is vsix (v6)
Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Did anyone else notice his username is vsix (v6)
Hey hey...that was before the "top part" was changed out. He should upgrade to "veight" now

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK550 pushes 478 HP ( at pumpgas )