CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2013 C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
2013 C300

I just drove my friend's new C300 4matic today. I am posting my experience here because I am comparing it to my w209.

The car is full optioned and the instrumental cluster is completely different than my car. I did not spend too much time to learn the IC.

Obviously the power is great as compared to my CLK320. Maybe I am getting old, I found the ride of the C300 too rough and not as "civilized".

Interior of the C300 is nice but it is not as elegant as a w209. The interior wood trim is dark ash and when I was driving, the trim on top of the grove box kept reflecting the surroundings; sun, building, etc. This is quite disruptive. Maybe this will be less annoying with tinted windows.

Lane Assist is a great feature. Not sure about the Blind Spot Assist because I just would not trust it 100%. Also not sure about the engine Stop/Start feature. When I took my foot off the brake, I would feel small vibrations as the engine rev-ed up. There was a short noticeable delay but it's OK if it saves on gas. I would probably turn this feature off at most times.

I only drove the car for about 30 minutes so this is all I can tell about the car.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:43 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I had a C300 as a loaner for about two weeks back in December 2011 when my CLK was in the shop for the timing gear repair. It was the sport model, and did have a firm ride - reminding more of a BMW than a MBZ. I was not crazy about the radio control wheel on the center console, but I did get used to it eventually. Comparing it to our 11 year old C240, of course the W204 was nicer and newer, but it just didn't seem to be as "Mercedes" as the W203. In fact, a lot of the switchgear and interior panels remind me of an Audi (not totally a bad thing - Audi makes a nice interior). Also, I found rear seat access to be tighter than the W203, but once inside, there seemed to be slightly more room. The front seats definitely felt roomier than the W203. Overall, I was not crazy about the style initially, but it has grown on me. Still, I prefer the more traditional look of the W203 (and my CLK).
Old 06-02-2013, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
While driving the C300, I had to line up to make a left turn at a traffic light, I counted and the engine stopped and started 10 times! I could feel it every time and it was annoying. While the new engine is certainly provisioned for this, I am not sure if this is good for the engine.

I myself is a coupe person so I will have to try a C or E coupe.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The one I drove didn't have the start/stop feature (it was a MY2011, IIRC). I think I would disable it off in stop-and-go traffic, but in normal traffic with the occasional light, it might be good to save a little gas. As for wear and tear, there is no additional engine wear, but definitely more wear on the starter and battery. Hopefully they have compensated for that in building those parts.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
A good friend of mine has a 2013 C300 - I was able to drive it quite a bit when my car was being worked on one week. It's body style is very sleek and sexy - but as the OP said I didn't think it felt as elegant inside, and I hated that center console wheel to control the navigation and stereo... It seemed like it was an accident waiting to happen. I have an aftermarket touch screen display which is so much easier I feel, and while I suppose you get used to it some - it still required much more of my attention. I have to say I was quite happy to sink down into the cocoon of my CLK again once I got it back.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
I am old school and I think some of these features are just overkill. In my opinion, Lane Assist and Blind Spot Assist are cool but they are only gadgets. They will not change the way I drive. I will still be aware of my surroundings while I drive, especially when I change lanes.

More complications = More problems.

I still recall the ABC (Active Body Control) of my friend's CL500. He was quoted $10K CAN to replace the suspensions.

Last edited by mis3; 06-02-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
The start-stop feature is really annoying, but can be turned off. I see it everywhere now at stop lights peoples cars turning back on lol. I think all the v6 and v8 benzes have it now and if i'm not mistaken all BMWs (i was behind a 991 911 that did it two weeks ago on PCH).
Old 06-03-2013, 11:17 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Porsche did a neat thing on their start/stop system - they are able to actually time the engine so that the crankshaft stops at the optimal position for restart, requiring the least amount of rotations and effort to get the engine running again. The reviews of this that I have read are all very positive, saying that it is noticeable, but not intrusive. BMW, on the other hand, has been given bad review as they say their engines create a lot of vibrations and noise on the restart. I haven't read any reviews of MBZs system yet. I expect to test it myself his summer - all of these makes have local "drive events" where you can compare them to competitors. I go every year so we shall se what they have this time.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Porsche did a neat thing on their start/stop system - they are able to actually time the engine so that the crankshaft stops at the optimal position for restart, requiring the least amount of rotations and effort to get the engine running again. The reviews of this that I have read are all very positive, saying that it is noticeable, but not intrusive. BMW, on the other hand, has been given bad review as they say their engines create a lot of vibrations and noise on the restart. I haven't read any reviews of MBZs system yet. I expect to test it myself his summer - all of these makes have local "drive events" where you can compare them to competitors. I go every year so we shall se what they have this time.
the porsche one didn't sound bad and fired up pretty quick. i was in a new bmw 335 sedan and it definitely was intrusive. it's was my friend's first day with the car and he was not happy about that lol. and the thing kept turning back on after he'd turn off the car and come back to it. i was in a glk350 that had it and that was pretty noticeable too.