CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Please engage roll-over-bar !? (first time newbee dealing with convertible's)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 MB CLK500 AMG CONVT.
Please engage roll-over-bar !? (first time newbee dealing with convertible's)

hi,

i got this 2005 mercedes clk500 amg convertible, purchased as salvage car,and fixed it,it was hit in front,but the rear was with no damage ,and now ready for paint ,so i try to see if the top will open,but i notice that it say:

"top in operation" when i click the center button buy the front chairs,and then
if i click again few times,it say : "please engage roll-over bar"

and i just cant figure out what to press to get those down,i have read the manual and researched some info online,forums,etc... but still confused ,how too...

here are few screens:

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

pic5

thank you for any advice!
regards,
misu
Old 06-17-2013, 09:22 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,002 Likes on 870 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Are the rear set headrests raised? Those double as the rolleover protection. If they are extended, you have to lower them. There are instruction in the owner's manual (look here to download if you don't have one: http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals_) It says not to lower them with the top up, but if it's up and won't go down, you have no choice. Just be careful not to damage the top or rear glass with the release tool.

Also, and forgive me if you know this already, but to raise and lower the top, you have to press and continue to hold the center console switch while the top is in operation and the vehicle cannot be moving. To lower it, you press down on the switch. To raise it, you pull up.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 PM

hi,

yes they are raised all way to top.

and yes,i have keep reading the book,but cant understand how to lower the roll-bars,

the top is closed , roll-bars are up.
i think,see picture:

are the windows suppose to be down? because i notice that the passenger window something is wrong with it,for the first time i was trying to lowered ,and i heard some noise inside ,and now is not working right ,i think the cable come louse or something i need to open and see whats going on,maybe thats why the top is not opening because of the windows?...

thank you,

Last edited by nemtulea; 06-17-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:53 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep, your rollbars are deployed, probably as a reaction to the accident. To lower them with the top closed, you have to release the latches from inside the trunk.

As for the rear window not working, that will likely need a new regulator. You have to remove the side paneling and then you can replace it. It's not terribly difficult, but it won't be cheap to buy the parts.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:11 AM

are this the latches ?

i can see that you can move them in 2 positions, like is in the picture or towards the windshield ...

i really appreciate your advice! and your time,

thank you!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:24 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
No, that's the hinge for the cover. Those plastic ears that you can move just engage the mechanical lock that keeps the lid upright when servicing it. They should be rotated toward the rear of the vehicle for normal operation, forward if you are going to manually open/close the soft top. This is detail on page 406 of your owner's manual.

To manually lower the roll bars with the top closed, you use the tool (the Allen wrench included in the vehicle tool kit, or if it missing, you can use a medium blade screwdriver) to trip the mechanical latches. These are located at the base of the back seat, from inside the trunk (owner's manual pages 401 and 402).

This is all explained in your owner's manual which you can download here:

MY2005 CLK Cabriolet Owner's Manual
Old 06-19-2013, 01:06 AM

ok,i manage to get the rear roll-bars down ,this picture say it all how to do it!:

now, i manage to open the top little ,but because my passanger side window it come down just a little the top got in stock position! ,now i have to find out a guide to fix the regulator ,and how to take that down,before i can continue with the top.

do you know any guide ,i try to open to a point those plastic,but now i am stuck as i dont know if i need to take the chair out or not!

thank you,
misu

Trending Topics

Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
The rear side window regulators do fail, and unless you can fashion some sort of "rigged" repair, you have to replace the entire assembly - regulator and motor. I know there have been several threads on this, so you might search and find someone who has done this with their input, but here is the WIS documentation for removal of the paneling to access the regulator:

http://benzbits.com/w209/RemoveSidePanelling.pdf
Old 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM

hi, yes, i try to open that side panel last night ,but got to a point where i had to have so guide ,as i was looking and did not know what to do next,

thanks for the guide,

i am also searching for how to remove the rear seat,did not find a lot of info about on the forum,or i am not searching it right.

how you getting the info from this site: http://benzbits.com/w209 ?

thank you for helping!
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I think I also answered this for you over on benzworld. benzbits.com is my site - I just upload info as needed. Such as this WIS doc to remove the rear seat:

http://benzbits.com/w209/removebackseat.pdf
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 AM

thank you so much friend!,

i did manage to open the top,and i have also manage to take out the rear seats ,but brother

how to take the regulator out?

i mean is all loose ,but i cant figure out ,where to pull it out!?

it will be to top or at the bottom ...

thank you for any info!

regards.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:21 AM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Try this:

http://benzbits.com/w209/RemoveSideWindowGlass.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/RemoveSideWindowRegulator.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/RemoveSeatBeltPresenter.pdf
http://benzbits.com/w209/RemoveSeatBeltSensoir.pdf
Old 06-20-2013, 11:45 AM

hi,and thanks for that info provided!

it looks like the all black metal support needs to come out for the regulator to

raise it up out from there,and it goes towards the rear of the car, and i was reading in those pdf's ,i see few times saying top needs to be open and then closed for this to work? right now is open...

now i see why the shops charge a lot to change this,a lot of work and a lot of parts to take out...

thank you,
Old 06-20-2013, 09:10 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
Yep, the lateral strut has to be removed, and you are right - there are a few open/closes of the soft top required for all of this. Yes, it is labor intensive, but if you can handle it, you'll save hundreds, if not over a thousand dollars vs. paying the dealer. I think it's a nice Saturday-in-the-garage type project.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 320CLK Cab
Originally Posted by Rudeney
Yep, your rollbars are deployed, probably as a reaction to the accident. To lower them with the top closed, you have to release the latches from inside the trunk. .
Search the net & youtube. You can also release them by carefully sliding a long, flat object (I used a very long screwdriver wrapped in tape) down the side of the headrest into the seat to trigger the release handle. It's not too tough. Just be careful not to poke/rip things.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM

finally i got it out,and o boy all is a mess ,the wire all messed up,some broken plastic,the wheel all channel where wire goes all bad, and i see that a brand new one is about 360$ at parts dot com , now used one is little cheaper ,but less warranty!

now is there any place where you can fix this ,like to buy the small plastics,wire,etc.? to fix it to save money?

thank you,
Old 06-21-2013, 10:15 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I know of no place that sells individual parts for this, but if you are industrious and so inclined, you might be able to repair it with other parts. For example, the wire should be easy enough to replace, but the plastic guide wheels and bushings will need to be fabricated, or maybe you can find something similar as parts from other cars - I know I used to be able to buy these for some antique Ford Mustangs back when I was into those.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS550
<3 Rudeney