CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

are all windshields made the same?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
are all windshields made the same?

Hello Tribemembers,

I have unfortunately found a rock chip that hit under my windshield wiper.... literally right under. I didn't notice it until the crack started to spread but the windshield repair person said it was not able to be repaired and would need to be replaced.

After searching the forum, I found that some members on other vehicles pay about 1k for their windshield replacement from the stealer and some have paid about 300 from a local windshield repair shop on yelp.

So my question is, are all windshields made the same? is there a standard that I should be looking for? Anything special about the mercedes glass that adds extra aerodynamics (joking)?

Any advice/knowledge is appreciated!

B
Old 07-10-2013, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I don't think I'd be too worried about glass quality, but they are not all the same. Whether or not you have rain sensors makes a difference, Which antennas are sandwiched between the glass makes difference. I think the convert glass may actually be diff than the coupe based on antennas in the glass. You may have a different sun shade at the top, and the overall hue of the glass (blue vs. green) may be different.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
I had mine replaced by Safelite and they used their brand of glass. I've had no issues with it. All auto glass has to meet federal DOT standards, so I would not think there would be much difference. A cheap glass my tend to have more instances of optical distortion, or problems with the rain sensor lens, but I've also had that on genuine MBZ factory glass. I would be very surprised if you can get the glass on a CLK replaced from under $700. Years ago, I had to replace glass in my W163 and I got a quote for $350 - but that was with no ran sensor lens. To get the same glass with the ran sensor lens attachedvit was $700.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 CLK 320
hmm thanks for the insight guys!

actually, that same repairman that told me i needed to replace my windshield told me about the rain sensor being the big difference between a costly replacement and one that wasnt. but they he quoted me 305 including parts and labor. I was astonished as to why it was so cheap when I looked on the forum to find that 1k price tag. But the business' yelp page speaks only great things.

I guess i'll go again and price check the glass that accommodates for rain sensor

Either that, or go with safelite. I have heard many good things about this company as well. I think mercedes send their referrals to safelite
Old 07-10-2013, 10:17 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
My dealership uses a local glass company that has been in business for a long time. I would normally have used them (as I have in the past) but my insurance company gave me an extra guarantee if I used Safelite - they would replace the glass for free if I had another break within 90 days. Safelite did an excellent job, except that had I not been watching, they would have cut the rain/light sensor wiring harness. But I spoke up and all was fine.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 320
Bheng - contact Teeters & Schacht, in Novato. I was quoted approx $700 for OE glass with rain sensor. Not a far drive from SF.