CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Green Filter Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Green Filter Review

Hello Everyone,

I am usually trying to get the "air in" and "air out" part of my car as optimized as possible, hence many different exhaust iterations as well as having an E55 intake and K/N filters. Green filters have always intrigued me as they supposedly flow even 'better' than K/N. My semi outdated build thread can be found here https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...es-clk500.html .

Recently Green Filters were asking for members who wanted to try their filters, and their requirement was to simply post a review of your thoughts. I explained to them that I wasn't going to lie to get free filters and would post and honest review. They agreed and sent me a couple filters that week which I installed right away and have put about 1k miles on them. So here are my thoughts.

Note: I do have a Eurocharged non dyno tune

1. I guess to cover all bases, changing air filters is something ANYONE can do themselves... all I needed was a torx screw driver to open up my e55 boxes.

Green Filter Review-p0aafeg.jpg

6 bolts per box, simply open them up, take out the old filter, and slide in the new. I am extremely novice when it comes to self maintenance sadly, and was able to do this without a hitch so no one should be afraid!

2. Performance
-I noticed a change in performance literally on my first drive. The car was definitely taking in more air and it was very noticeable. Accelerating in 3rd gear from low rpm would sometimes have "lag" where the car would not want to pick up, but now it felt like it would go up the RPM range faster.

-On that same note the car has slightly better response at highway speeds, similar to what I noticed when I changed OEM airbox to E55.

- Low RPM 1st and 2nd gear are definitely more torquey. I have 10" rears with 275 and I am putting on the traction control too often... perhaps need stickier tires.

- Actually seemed to shift better, from 2nd to 3rd etc. I believe it taking in more air really improves the HP/TQ right after a shift point.

3. Sound

- With this exhaust iteration my car is still pretty noisy but not droney at all. I noticed a slight increase in sound corresponding to the higher performance.

4. Gas Mileage

- My gas mileage has gone down. I wasn't expecting to have as much performance gain as I received so I am not really complaining about the gas mileage... but it did go down. Perhaps 2-3 mpg.

5. Recommended?

- I am definitely planning to stay with Green until I have any issues. They have won me over from K/N and it wasn't because they gave me some trial filters... these things were very impressive. I would recommend these to someone who wants to upgrade to OEM over a K/N.

Final Notes:

- Since my car is Eurocharged non dyno tuned, there is a chance that these filters simply "fit my tune" better than the K/N which is why I saw noticeable power gains. Although Eurocharged too into account my mods pre-tune.
- My K/N were not very old
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Good assesment write up. Thanks

More airflow should not (IMO) have reduced your gas mileage. 2-3 mpg is a quite a bit (20%, assuming 15 mpg before). I'm assuming that your right foot was a bit heavy during your testing.

In case it was not the case of a heavy foot, you may want to check your reassembly of the airbox after the filter swap. I keep a pretty sharp eye on my mileage. It's my rationale for mods..... That's what I tell my wife anyway.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Volvo S40, 2006 Hummer H3, 2008 CLK550
i use afe prodry...most of the changes and feel in improvement with aftermarkets air filters I think is all in my head lOL...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK 550 Cabriolet
Out of curiosity, what was the condition of the filters you removed? You may want to try new OEM filters as well and see what, if any changes you notice. There is a chance you replaced a pair of dirty filters with the new Green ones and now your car is performing the way it was designed to.

Unfortunately the only real way to check these kinds of gains/losses is on a dyno.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e63 NA
Thanks for the input guys.

Yea, I understand this is based on the foot and butt dyno but that's what the review was for, to provide someone with my experiences as if they asked me on the street what I noticed.

The K/N I replaced weren't in very bad shape at all. I probably would have gone quite a while before cleaning them if I didn't get the new filters. I am sure the new ones were in better shape than the ones I removed, but they weren't in dire straits. The MPG question was still puzzling, but it is simply due to my right foot most likely