CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Planning to go Quad Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
Planning to go Quad Exhaust!

Hello,
I have finally decided to go and change my exhaust to a quad exhaust setup. I have been reading all the threads related to this topic and have gathered some questions that I need to get answered before I start purchasing the parts. I have the AMG bumper (2005 CLK500) and currently just have a muffler delete with standard dual tips that I got at the muffler shop. I want to have 2 dual tips to have the quad look. What should I do to get it to sound throaty and have growl, without touching the primary or secondary cats? Should I look for the tips first so I can let the body shop know where to cut (also where is a good place that I can get good AMG style tips like the CLK63)? Do I have to get a diffuser or will it look ugly without one? Should I remove the resonator and place a Magnaflow muffler there or just straight pipe from res and put one muffler on the left side only?
Sorry for all the questions, kind of a newbie for mods lol. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by kb24forlife24; 02-20-2014 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 clk-350 (Black) AMG, 2009 clk-550 (Pewter) AMG
Hay.
so i have been gathering parts for some time, but first, why do you want to keep the cats/
most people remove the 2nd cats and run straight pipes. or just remove the 2nd cats and run an x-pipe to equalize pressure.

from reading around i will be doing the following:
1) cutting out the current AMG muffler all the way to the 2nd Cats
2) buying a Magnaflow dual in Dual out PN#11385
2) there might be no need for an x-pipe because that muffler has an internal xpipe but i still might run one and it will be Magnaflow PN#10791
3) replacing 2nd cats with some 100 cell high performance Vibrant PN#1792

That is a pic of Fatz setup. he has been very helpful and all of those parts mentioned are the same parts he used. but, he also has headers and changed the primary cats.

as for cutting the bumper, they can do it. if you want a cleaner cut, you can buy the 05 CLK 55 REAR BUMPER CUT-OUT 2098854025 its the black piece on the bumper, but this one has 2 cut outs. they can use this as a template.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Originally Posted by omega48er
Hay.
so i have been gathering parts for some time, but first, why do you want to keep the cats/
most people remove the 2nd cats and run straight pipes. or just remove the 2nd cats and run an x-pipe to equalize pressure.

from reading around i will be doing the following:
1) cutting out the current AMG muffler all the way to the 2nd Cats
2) buying a Magnaflow dual in Dual out PN#11385
2) there might be no need for an x-pipe because that muffler has an internal xpipe but i still might run one and it will be Magnaflow PN#10791
3) replacing 2nd cats with some 100 cell high performance Vibrant PN#1792

That is a pic of Fatz setup. he has been very helpful and all of those parts mentioned are the same parts he used. but, he also has headers and changed the primary cats.

as for cutting the bumper, they can do it. if you want a cleaner cut, you can buy the 05 CLK 55 REAR BUMPER CUT-OUT 2098854025 its the black piece on the bumper, but this one has 2 cut outs. they can use this as a template.
Thanks for the info. I don't wanna take out the secondary cats because I don't wanna fail the smog check (live in CA). Also, I want some back pressure. I have another question. If I do a Y pipe where the resonator is to the tailpipe with a straight pipe, will i lose power? I heard that you can lose a lot of power. I also plan to get a VIS Carbon FIber Diffuser with AMG tips.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Originally Posted by kb24forlife24
Hello,
I have finally decided to go and change my exhaust to a quad exhaust setup. I have been reading all the threads related to this topic and have gathered some questions that I need to get answered before I start purchasing the parts. I have the AMG bumper (2005 CLK500) and currently just have a muffler delete with standard dual tips that I got at the muffler shop. I want to have 2 dual tips to have the quad look. What should I do to get it to sound throaty and have growl, without touching the primary or secondary cats? Should I look for the tips first so I can let the body shop know where to cut (also where is a good place that I can get good AMG style tips like the CLK63)? Do I have to get a diffuser or will it look ugly without one? Should I remove the resonator and place a Magnaflow muffler there or just straight pipe from res and put one muffler on the left side only?
Sorry for all the questions, kind of a newbie for mods lol. All help is appreciated. Thanks!
- If you use a single in/dual out muffler I would recommend the configuration used by Kevwood (search his build thread)
- The cut out for the pass side tips is a mirror image of the driver side cutout (size and location). If you get a diffuser, use it as the template for the cutout. You don't need a diffuser to do the quad. Had the body shop "finish" the edges. You can get a diffuser aftermarket or through mercedes.
- IMO runing dual all the way (muffler in the center where resonator is) will give slighly better performance due to the flow through.
- As long as you don't go crazy with large pipe sizing and bends you power should be ok and perhaps better (more) rather than less. IMO using the same size pipe as that coming off your primary CAT throughout the exhaust system is best if going dual all the way. If you use a collector mid pipe as OEM config use the same size ID (inside diameter) pipe as stock. I believe the ID on mine was about 2.6", which is hard to match with 18 or 16 gage pipes. The other gages will get expensive or be too thin. Use the OEM pipe to the muffler if you go with a single in/dual out single muffler on one side. Then you can use 2.5" 16 or 18 gage coming off the muffler.
- Make sure the output openings seen by the muffler are the same or you will get more exhaust from one side of the car than the other. This may not be straight forward, as the number and the angles of the bends used in the pipe to the pass size as well as the quality of the bends (mandrel vs. not), and the welds (minimize the use of swedge welds to zero if possible) will affect the effective size of the pipe, as viewed by the muffler and upstream exhaust.
- The sound out the tailpipe will be affected by anything you put in or take out of the exhaust system. You should listen to sound clips of muffler vendors made with cars similiar to yours in engine size and hp. Then make your best guess....
Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Originally Posted by Fatz
- If you use a single in/dual out muffler I would recommend the configuration used by Kevwood (search his build thread)
- The cut out for the pass side tips is a mirror image of the driver side cutout (size and location). If you get a diffuser, use it as the template for the cutout. You don't need a diffuser to do the quad. Had the body shop "finish" the edges. You can get a diffuser aftermarket or through mercedes.
- IMO runing dual all the way (muffler in the center where resonator is) will give slighly better performance due to the flow through.
- As long as you don't go crazy with large pipe sizing and bends you power should be ok and perhaps better (more) rather than less. IMO using the same size pipe as that coming off your primary CAT throughout the exhaust system is best if going dual all the way. If you use a collector mid pipe as OEM config use the same size ID (inside diameter) pipe as stock. I believe the ID on mine was about 2.6", which is hard to match with 18 or 16 gage pipes. The other gages will get expensive or be too thin. Use the OEM pipe to the muffler if you go with a single in/dual out single muffler on one side. Then you can use 2.5" 16 or 18 gage coming off the muffler.
- Make sure the output openings seen by the muffler are the same or you will get more exhaust from one side of the car than the other. This may not be straight forward, as the number and the angles of the bends used in the pipe to the pass size as well as the quality of the bends (mandrel vs. not), and the welds (minimize the use of swedge welds to zero if possible) will affect the effective size of the pipe, as viewed by the muffler and upstream exhaust.
- The sound out the tailpipe will be affected by anything you put in or take out of the exhaust system. You should listen to sound clips of muffler vendors made with cars similiar to yours in engine size and hp. Then make your best guess....
Since I currently have the resonator and no muffler, if I switch my resonator with a Magnaflow, wouldn't it be quieter since it's muffling more sound? I want to get a diffuser because I can get a pretty good deal on one, and it's carbon fiber . Will I gain power with a Y pipe, since it's more free flowing? Also, where can I get oval tips (like on the C63 or CLK63) for a relatively good price? Thanks for all the technical info BTW!
Old 09-12-2013, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your resonator is essentially a "tuned" mini muffler. If you repllaced it with a muffler, yes your exhaust will be quieter. It will also sound different, as the resonator will not be there to cancel whatever frequency it is tuned to.

If the 500 exhaust is like the 550, you have a Y pipe already connecting the output of the 2 secondary CATS to the resonator which then goes to the mid (large) pipe which used to connect to the OEM muffler. I don't know if a different Y will be any more or less effective than the one you have. Is the 500 layout different?

You can find tips on ebay (where I got mine) or Amazon, I assume, or you can mortgage the house and get them from the dealer. In any case, ebay is a good place to look for comparison of various tips.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Your resonator is essentially a "tuned" mini muffler. If you repllaced it with a muffler, yes your exhaust will be quieter. It will also sound different, as the resonator will not be there to cancel whatever frequency it is tuned to.

If the 500 exhaust is like the 550, you have a Y pipe already connecting the output of the 2 secondary CATS to the resonator which then goes to the mid (large) pipe which used to connect to the OEM muffler. I don't know if a different Y will be any more or less effective than the one you have. Is the 500 layout different?

You can find tips on ebay (where I got mine) or Amazon, I assume, or you can mortgage the house and get them from the dealer. In any case, ebay is a good place to look for comparison of various tips.
I believe the 500 and 550 are exactly the same in terms of exhaust.
I just don't want it to be too quiet, but not too loud. I want it to growl and have a deep bass tone, but not sound like a straight-piped Ferrari lol. What setup do you prefer in terms of resonator replacement so I can have a dual exhaust with a carbon fiber diffuser and quad tips? Sorry for all the questions
Old 09-12-2013, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

kb24forlife24,

I used to live in CA and agree that you don't want to cross the environment laws.

I would take out everything after the secondary CATS; and install
- Magnaflow 14" dual in/out muffler (PN#11385)
- 2.5" mandrel bend and butt welded pipe
- twin dual tips (quad) (minimum 8.5" width) (diffuser openings are 10.5" - 11") - ebay
- heatshield armor kit (control underbody heat and reduce cabin noise from muffler)

The following link of my "exhaust steps" might be helpful. I even had one config with a pipe run from the driver side mounted single/dual exit muffler to the passenger side opening. No sound clip of that abominable config.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
kb24forlife24,

I used to live in CA and agree that you don't want to cross the environment laws.

- twin dual tips (quad) (minimum 8.5" width) (diffuser openings are 10.5" - 11") - ebay
- heatshield armor kit (control underbody heat and reduce cabin noise from muffler)

The following link of my "exhaust steps" might be helpful. I even had one config with a pipe run from the driver side mounted single/dual exit muffler to the passenger side opening. No sound clip of that abominable config.

http://youtu.be/gohHN02jKQ4
Thanks Fatz, I will be looking into it. But your video is private
Old 09-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350 4MATIC
Bump on making that vid public
Old 09-12-2013, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is now public.......
Old 09-12-2013, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Whoa!

kb24forlife24,

http://youtu.be/gohHN02jKQ4
Fatz, that's an amazing sound at the end. I think I want to go with your setup (but with the stock primary cats). What will the difference be in sound with the OEM primary/secondary cats, but with everything that you have? Can you give me a part number for the X pipe, resonator, etc.? Appreciate the help!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

kb24forlife24,

I can only offer opinion on the sound you will get;
- low end and idle sound will be about the same - maybe at 100-150 rpm differential
- maybe a 500 - 1000 rpm differential under hard acceleration

These differences will be due to;
- less disturbance in the exhaust because of the headers
- a bit more free flow because of the 200 cel cats and no secondaries
- because the tone under acceleration is unique (I think) I have assumed that the X-pipe ahead of the crossover in the muffer has something to do with it. I have no way to quantify this.

I think a very similiar exhaust note will be produced but at a higher rpm and with a slightly different tone.
- The quality of the welds and bends are very impactful (I learned this lesson the hard way).

The attached pdf contains all the part numbers or specs used.

The ratios between exhaust science and art and luck is still unknown..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Exhaust Layout 090113.pdf (233.3 KB, 401 views)
Old 09-13-2013, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
Last few questions lol

kb24forlife24,

I can only offer opinion on the sound you will get;
- low end and idle sound will be about the same - maybe at 100-150 rpm differential
- maybe a 500 - 1000 rpm differential under hard acceleration

These differences will be due to;
- less disturbance in the exhaust because of the headers
- a bit more free flow because of the 200 cel cats and no secondaries
- because the tone under acceleration is unique (I think) I have assumed that the X-pipe ahead of the crossover in the muffer has something to do with it. I have no way to quantify this.

I think a very similiar exhaust note will be produced but at a higher rpm and with a slightly different tone.
- The quality of the welds and bends are very impactful (I learned this lesson the hard way).

The attached pdf contains all the part numbers or specs used.

The ratios between exhaust science and art and luck is still unknown..
Thanks Fatz, I looked at the PDF and saw that your system is very complex lol. You spent a lot of money and time and the sound really shows! I'm probably just going to take out the resonator but still can't decide on what to replace it with, and then use either an X or Y pipe (whichever one's better) to split the pipes to dual exhaust along with the VIS CF diffuser.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
BTW everything I have is bone stock (headers, cats, etc.) except muffler delete.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I took a look into my original primary CATS and they appear to be 300-400 cel; which is pretty good. I do not have my old secondaries.

Keep us posted......
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
I took a look into my original primary CATS and they appear to be 300-400 cel; which is pretty good. I do not have my old secondaries.

Keep us posted......
I really like the setup of this guy's exhaust https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-how-do-2.html How can I make sure that the passenger side pipe doesn't burn? Do I use a heat shield just like the driver side? Will there be a decrease in sound and or power with the magna flow 11148 installed in place of the resonator and the extra pipes? That's probably my last question lol until I start shopping for the parts.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 281 Likes on 189 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Sounds great Fatz. Question though. Why did you use an xpipe if the muffler essentially already has one built in?
Old 09-13-2013, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is essentially the same as what I have. You can see pics at CKS Quad Exhaust Experience?

I noticed in second pic you referenced the "collar" appearance on the passenger side exhaust. You want to avoid putting the pipes together that way if possible. Try to keep the flow path as smooth as possible. But it apparently works. Wish there were sound clips of it.

Regarding the 11148 muffler. It is a single in/dual out with 2" core and exit. I don't know why he did not use a dual in/dual out to get a dual exhaust since he was changing the muffler anyway. He may have done this to retain what scavenging he gets from the Y connection just before the muffler. The 11385 will scavenge better and the setup will be dual and i think the sound will be cleaner.

Muffler in/out size=muffler core size=pipe size on primary CAT exit=new pipe size on muffler exit.

On the heat: move the muffler as far forward under the heatshield already on your car (another reason to eliminate the Y). This will help keep ur gas tank from getting too hot. Then you can use the heatshield (company) armor to cover the pipes from the muffler past the differential. IMO the bushings, joints, and differential that the new pipes will run close to are not designed to be subjected to 450-500 degrees constantly.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by megacrazy
Sounds great Fatz. Question though. Why did you use an xpipe if the muffler essentially already has one built in?
Well, I already had the X-pipe installed from prior exhaust iterations and I was just curious if it would enhance the exhaust. I knew I would just end up discarding the x-pipe if I did not use it. I did my research and discussed the possibility of a negative impact with the fabricator (he checked with his "guru" source).

Too lazy and cheap to pull it out to see what effect it has on the exhaust note....
Old 09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW kb24forlife24, there are 2 other videos public if you wanna watch. The publisher is me under Fatz MB. One is rather long (5 min).
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Well, I already had the X-pipe installed from prior exhaust iterations and I was just curious if it would enhance the exhaust. I knew I would just end up discarding the x-pipe if I did not use it. I did my research and discussed the possibility of a negative impact with the fabricator (he checked with his "guru" source).

Too lazy and cheap to pull it out to see what effect it has on the exhaust note....
Makes sense

I'll probably keep my secondaries, delete the muffler and do an xpipe/2 resonators setup see how it sounds. If it's too much I'll add a muffler. The problem I have with the magnaflow mufflers is that they make the car sound too...American if that makes sense haha.

Anyway, thanks for posting up the specs and your experiences with the entire process. Helps a lot.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I agree with you on the magnaflow sound. My magnaflow is so small (14") and wrapped so tight there is much less low end resonance. When I made the decision to keep the x-pipe in the system these thoughts were factors;
- ideally i wanted the scavenging closer to the CATS
- the resonators are where they are to keep the boom of the headers out of the cabin
- a little extra suction to keep the exhaust manifold/headers evacuated couldn't hurt
- i would effectively scavenge twice for each exhaust pulse (depending on RPM)

This is all speculation of course, but given you will have both sets of CATS, suction of the dormant side twice may be helpful.

The muffler I have is 14" long and only 5x8 with two 2.5" pipe running through it; I can't imagine it attenuateing a great deal of the sound. It may be that yours, (w/o a muffler or headers) will have about the same sound volume as mine (with small muffler and headers).

Good luck and keep us posted. I've read so many documents and collected so many fomulas on exhausts over the past couple years I am addicted to various configs and results.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
Yup totally agree. The headers/high flow cats probably change the sound the most out of the whole combination. I also figure, in my case with cats/headers untouched, the sound with resonators only should be about the same. You probably need that muffler to kill some of the header noise on your car.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

None for now
This is essentially the same as what I have. You can see pics at CKS Quad Exhaust Experience?

I noticed in second pic you referenced the "collar" appearance on the passenger side exhaust. You want to avoid putting the pipes together that way if possible. Try to keep the flow path as smooth as possible. But it apparently works. Wish there were sound clips of it.

Regarding the 11148 muffler. It is a single in/dual out with 2" core and exit. I don't know why he did not use a dual in/dual out to get a dual exhaust since he was changing the muffler anyway. He may have done this to retain what scavenging he gets from the Y connection just before the muffler. The 11385 will scavenge better and the setup will be dual and i think the sound will be cleaner.

Muffler in/out size=muffler core size=pipe size on primary CAT exit=new pipe size on muffler exit.

On the heat: move the muffler as far forward under the heatshield already on your car (another reason to eliminate the Y). This will help keep ur gas tank from getting too hot. Then you can use the heatshield (company) armor to cover the pipes from the muffler past the differential. IMO the bushings, joints, and differential that the new pipes will run close to are not designed to be subjected to 450-500 degrees constantly.
OK ya I want the Magnaflow 11385 in place of the resonator and from the dual outlet of that I want to straight pipe to the quad tips final along with the diffuser. I'm gonna start saving up but for the heat, I'm just gonna tell the muffler shop people to install a heat shield to make sure everything is safe and doesn't get hot. Fatz, you've helped me so much! Hopefully I can get all this done and post some nice clips! Now to find the best prices on tips...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Planning to go Quad Exhaust!