CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

help on headlights please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 mercedes clk 500
Exclamation help on headlights please

i have a 2005 clk 500 with hid factory headlights, i am trying to find headlights that are black housing which i find a few on ebay or euro sights but they all say they dont fit if i have the hid factory headlights, i am confused because they look like the same ones i have but black is it cause of a connection issue that they wont work or its just simply a different measurement ? i am confused cause i really some black ones and i cant seem to find any that will say it will fit mines with hid factory, if anyone knows why they dont fit or if is possible to find some black ones that will fit my model please hit me up thank you
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
They will work if you have the vehicle re-coded for "not" having HIDs. Basically, HID headlights only draw 35w, but halogens draw 55w. The vehicle has to know which it has so it can measure the proper current draw for the bulb sensors. All of these aftermarket units are designed to use regular halogen bulbs, even if they come with HID's installed. The aftermarket HID kits are designed to actually draw 55w so they don't create bulb errors.

Another factor is that the aftermarket units will be missing the secondary connector for the auto-leveling controls and (if equipped) the steering inputs for curve illumination. Of course not connecting these is no problem, you just lose that functionality. My advice would be to look into keeping your stock headlights, with are much better quality than any aftermarket units. If you just must have black, then take the lenses of and paint them. There are plenty of Internet DIY's on how to properly heat the units to soften the glue and disassemble them.