CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Looking for some pre-purchase information.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Na
Looking for some pre-purchase information.

Hi All;

I am currently looking for a CLK550 cab.

First, a little background.
I've owned Lexus (Lexi?) for many years and been pretty happy with them mostly because of reliability.
Now, my wife has always wanted a Mercedes convertible. Red. Never knew women got midlife crisis
Her first choice was an SL. Partly because it's a two-seater and the whole family, we have two kids, won't fit
However, I have convinced her that a CLK is the way to go.
She does not care what kind of motor the car will have, but I figure that I might as well enjoy it too and decided to get the 550.

My good friend, who is a used car dealer is telling me that the 550 has air suspension, which contradicts all the research that I had done. Looking for some validation. I wouldn't want to touch any car with an air suspension with a ten foot pole, esp. if it is out of warranty.

Also, I have followed the Cam Gear thread and am trying to determine how to read the engine number to make sure that it is "out of the range".
There are three numbers there - Which one is used to make the determination?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 02-04-2014, 11:06 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
The CLK does NOT have the air suspension nor does it have any sort of adjustable suspension like the SL with its problematic Active Body Control (it's not air, it's a hydraulic system that uses the power steering pump). The W209 is based on the W203, which is a much simpler vehicle than the SL and other higher-end models, and that's a good thing in terms of maintenance costs.

I would honestly recommend you loon only at MY2008 and MY2009 CLK550 cabriolets. The reason being is that the later models are more reliable. Plus, there are no worries about the "balance shaft" problems in those years. A MY2006 will certainly be in the range for potential "balance shaft" problems and about half the MY2007's will be in the range. Also, the 722.9 7GTRONIC transmission had more problems in its earlier years, so the later year you get, the better reliability you will see from it.

Having said that, if you have been happy with your Lexus vehicles, then you might want to stick with that. A pre-owned MBZ is not for everyone. Unless you get a good CPO or other warranty, then you will spend a lot more on maintenance that you would on a "comparable" Lexus. If you are like me and do all your own work, then it's not so bad, but if you have to
pay a mechanic, especially a dealership shop, then you better be ready to spend some money.

It's not that MBZ makes bad or unreliable vehicles, they just make very complicated vehicles. Their technology is always bleeding edge. Many of the features you hear Lexus "innovating" were created by MBZ a decade ago or more. The cost for that is the cars needing a bit more TLC. Just as an example, when you touch a button to switch on a map light, you figure you are making a physical electrical contact supplying current to the bulb. in reality, that switch just sends an electrical pulse to a computer that in turn sends a command on a network bus to another computer controller that then supplies voltage to the bulb. Sort of like how pressing the letter "A" on your computer keyboard tells the CPU to light up the proper pixels int he shape of an "A" on your screen, as opposed to an old manual typewriter that would swing an arm and imprint the paper.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Na
Rodney,
I appreciate your responce.
The wife wants a MB and to be honest, I am looking to owning my first one and a first convertible too.
I try to do all of the repairs myself. Partly because I'm cheap, but mostly because I enjoy working with my hands. Garage time is very theraputic
08-09 It is, but I have to sell my Highlander first - It was bought based on specifications only w/o a test drive and I absolutely hate the way it drives. The car looks great, works 100%, but it has no sole. Not sure how to explain it... It is a mode of transportation. Not a "car".

I will post some pictures once I get the CLK.

Looking forward to being a member here.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
LOL! I have a personal issue with Toyota/Lexus (long story - they threatened to sue me for trademark infringement just becuase I tried to sell my wife's Lexus on Autotrader), but they make very reliable appliances. I have been an MBZ owner and fan for 30 years now. I sometime get aggravated when "stupid things" go wrong, but when I start working on them, I really appreciate the engineering and attention to detail. These cars are literally rolling computer networks, so being a computer geek and a gearhead, I am right at home.