CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

AC compressor squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes CLK 350
AC compressor squeal

2006 CLK 350 -- loud squeal/whine coming from front area of engine

First thought it was power steering unit but local shop guy put stethoscope on various units and says it's AC compressor.

But it squeals with AC turned off. Maybe the pulley and not the actual compressor? Is it easier/cheaper to replace pulley than compressor?

Another thread somewhere suggested it's turbocharger. Is that possible??

If new compressor/dryer installed does that guarantee it, too, won't squeal??

Any/all suggestions are much appreciated!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
It is more likely to be an idler or tensioner on the Poly V belt than the compressor.

These are swash plate compressors. They have no clutch. They run all the time. The angle of the swash plate dictates whether they pump or not. They are seldom reconditioned. They are usually replaced.

Your car has no turbo.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 AM

2006 Mercedes CLK 350
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
It is more likely to be an idler or tensioner on the Poly V belt than the compressor.

These are swash plate compressors. They have no clutch. They run all the time. The angle of the swash plate dictates whether they pump or not. They are seldom reconditioned. They are usually replaced.

Your car has no turbo.
Thanks so much for the quick response. Would it be easier/cheaper to find someone to work on the idler or tensioner rather than replacing the compressor entirely? One mechanic told me he could replace the bearing in the compressor but while that would be less in parts, it would be more for labor.

Sorry for the mistake ...... I didn't mean turbocharger -- the same mechanic told me the K in CLK meant it was supercharged and that could be the problem. Now I read the K stands for Kompakt

Thanks again for your help ---- just trying not to pay for a new compressor (bids are about $1200) if I don't need it
Old 02-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Get them to take the Poly V Belt off & check all idlers & the tensioner for noise before they mess with the compressor.

If the AC works OK it means it pumps. If the compressor is in fact noisy & you can get someone competent to repair it then go that route.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:45 PM

2006 Mercedes CLK 350
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Get them to take the Poly V Belt off & check all idlers & the tensioner for noise before they mess with the compressor.

If the AC works OK it means it pumps. If the compressor is in fact noisy & you can get someone competent to repair it then go that route.
Thanks again, Glyn. I should have mentioned at the outset that there's never been a problem with the air ---- blows ice cold always. Hate to replace a compressor that's doing its job. It's just the noise I'm trying to get rid of. The best evidence against the compressor itself is the mechanic with the stethoscope who listened to all components and said it was the compressor.