CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

My car died!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
Unhappy My car died!!!

I only have 18,000 miles and today my car angine died. I was going to my friend shouse and it just shut off. No response with gas pedal, could not push brakes (hard as a rock), and lost power steering. But the radio was still working. I crept into an apartment complex and shutoff the car and turned it back on. It worked. So I went to my friends house and kept it there for mercedes to come and tow it (I had a soccer game). They did all the electrical testsd and checked all the fliters. the battery and engine and whatnot and they could not find anything wrong. ALso before it died nothing showed up on the instrument cluster to give me a warning. The guy at mercedes said the only reason he can think is that the gas was contaminated or had an air bubble in it. Ive been pumping from this station ever since Ive had my car and Ive never had a problem (exxon) What do you guys think? I got the car back 3 hoursa ago and have been driving since with no problem. ( I loved the feeling of safety I had before the incident, I don't know if I will ever feel that way again )
Old 11-29-2003, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that sucks.

That would prompt me to trade in and get a Lexus on the spot.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Guest0001

Wow that is horrible!

I hate to say this dude. But yeah like Jpb says, Time to get a UGH! Lexus.

Id put up a alot of crap for my car, (Althought I havntd problems). But if my car has any engine problems that leaves me stranded somewhere, Then it will traded in the next day.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:54 PM

1994 E320
if it was a problem with gas then it doesn't really matter what make car it is.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:58 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Hakk403
if it was a problem with gas then it doesn't really matter what make car it is.
Wait he ran out of gas? Put the wrong gas?
Old 11-29-2003, 07:13 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
My 02 CLK died on me a twice before. Very similiar to you situation, I was driving and out of blue, the engine just shuted down. So I slowly pulled to the side and shifted the gear into "P".......I was able to restart the car immediately.

Then the next day, I brought the car into the dealer. The technicians said that my key chain was too heavy. So, when I go over a bump or any rough roads, the weight pulls on the smartkey and causes the key to lose direct connection, thus cause the car/computer to shut down.

I wasn't too happy with this explanation, but what else can I do...I took out the keychain, and never have this problem again.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm guessing only time'll tell whether it was a bubble in the gas or some such thing that the Merc guy tried to sell. These intermittent problems just suck.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:15 PM

I was reading about gas in a bike forum and gas has a shelf life of 3 weeks. And I am sure most of you use premium. Since premium doesn’t sell as fast as the regular it sits in the gas station for a longer period of time than regular and it could have been the gas. Gas goes bad because of the ingredients that are mixed with it to help it burn cleaner, Or your car is carping out sorry.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by LAMAY123
My 02 CLK died on me a twice before. Very similiar to you situation, I was driving and out of blue, the engine just shuted down. So I slowly pulled to the side and shifted the gear into "P".......I was able to restart the car immediately.

Then the next day, I brought the car into the dealer. The technicians said that my key chain was too heavy. So, when I go over a bump or any rough roads, the weight pulls on the smartkey and causes the key to lose direct connection, thus cause the car/computer to shut down.

I wasn't too happy with this explanation, but what else can I do...I took out the keychain, and never have this problem again.
I think I speak for all when I say this, what did you have on that key chain.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally posted by Xpeed

A rabbit's foot? Except a real one...with the rabbit still attached..
Old 11-29-2003, 09:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Volvo V90 CC
Re: My car died!!!

Originally posted by gbahri
I only have 18,000 miles and today my car angine died. I was going to my friend shouse and it just shut off. .....
what's a "shouse" ...
Old 11-29-2003, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: My car died!!!

Originally posted by pocholin
what's a "shouse" ...
lol

Hey, its a good thing it didnt happen on the highway.
I've never heard of someone experiencing such a problem.
...watch MB just fix the problem and gave back to you.:p
Old 11-29-2003, 10:34 PM

A 2-Seater Roaster & A 4-Door AMG & 2008 S550
Hahha....i only have the Louis Vuitton Key pouch......and it's not that heavy
Old 11-30-2003, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CLK320
Maybe it is the keychain. I have the remote control for the gate to my apartment comples, the mercedes key, the remote control for my apartment alarm, key for my door and key for my mailbox. easily 1 -1 and 1/2 pounds. But I wasn't going on any bump. And ive driven 18,000 miles I would think that if it was too heavy it would have done it before, but maybe your right.

PS: I meant "friends house" I always use at least 91 octane.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
this happened to me back when I first had my car. The driveway is long and sits on an incline. Near the top, I took my foot off the pedal for a split second and the car died. No sweat.... just started her back up and went on my merry way. Odds are it was just the fuel. see if any other CLK owners have had that problem.... just to make sure it wasn't something that was recalled.
I really wouldn't be worried george, your car is still super safe.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sell your Mercedes and get a..

LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS

Have you tried a LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS LEXUS
Old 11-30-2003, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
geez vraa stop spammin! (LEXUS)
Old 11-30-2003, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by brianhn1
geez vraa stop spammin! (LEXUS)
Would you rather have me post LEXUS in huge letters.. IN A SEPERATE POST?!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
Originally posted by vraa
sure why not?
Old 11-30-2003, 01:17 PM

this sounds like the same problem i had a couple months ago... the dealer couldn't find any problems so they didn't fix anything... fortunately it hasn't happened to me again. there's some more information at csportcoupe:

http://www.csportcoupe.com/forums/sh...&threadid=2387
Old 11-30-2003, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by vraa
[Isn't it "separate?"]

One too many bowls of chocolate-frosted sugar bombs?

As an aside, Car and Driver TV had a thing comparing some convertibles today (probably a rerun, but i just saw it today). Of course, the SL500 won but they said some good things about Lexus.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by brianhn1
sure why not?
I would but mbworld seems way too slow right now, posting takes forever! I hate this.. Oh well, maybe it'll get better soon.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by jpb5151
[Isn't it "separate?"]

One too many bowls of chocolate-frosted sugar bombs?

As an aside, Car and Driver TV had a thing comparing some convertibles today (probably a rerun, but i just saw it today). Of course, the SL500 won but they said some good things about Lexus.
Yeah, I am on a sugar high, candy corn rocks.

I have the mag article about the comparison. You are kidding me by calling the SC430 a sports car. I think it was CandD which said that it's not a car, it's a machine, unlike the Porsche where it reminds it's always a machine.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That'd be the one, Vraa. The guy said that about Lexus (the company did a lot to make people forget that it's a car, etc). Kinda funny, the reviewers pointed out the Caddy's "cowcatcher" front. Glad I'm not the only one who thought it looked like one.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

I don't like the XLR, it's like the little 12 year old that's playing tough to fit it with it's older 17-20 yr old brothers (R230, Porsche's) and then the Jag chich and the Lexus chich are there for no freakin reason..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My car died!!!