CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK 500 Cabrio (2005) FUSE #8 (FM Antenna)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
CLK 500 Cabrio (2005) FUSE #8 (FM Antenna)

Good day everyone! My name is Alex I just signed up here so I apologize in advance if my "issue" has already been answered before but I looked and couldnt find exactly what im looking for.

so here it goes,

The past few months I moved back to the States (from Europe) so there was my CLK 500 in my garage sitting for the past 5-6 years. Obviously, a new battery was needed, full service (change of oils, etc.), new tires, and all that good stuff.

Having said all that, I noticed I can no longer use my "key-less" entry.. Which i was fine with at the beginning because i thought to my self its a matter of replacing batteries... Or so i thought...

After switching to new batteries, my key-less entry was still not working.

I thought to my self maybe the key needs to be reprogrammed (something that i had to do in the past on my Mazda RX-8 in Europe).

After long term searches online, i came up with the final results:

Mercedes key-less remotes are not reprogrammable, and that they use the FM Antenna in order to work. So after reading a few forums here and there i saw that a lot of people where saying to check FUSE #8 which is located in the trunk.

I checked, and my fuse was blown! It all started to make sense now because although not a big "radio" fan, my radio wasnt working either but it never bothered me to look into.

So, I thought i had the solution to my problem. Change the fuse, and good to go.

NOPE.

I changed the fuse. it gets blown again instantly. Changed once more, same deal. Even experimented with a slightly larger Fuse (10). Blown once again.

Guys, im really sorry for typing so much stuff... Im a bit frustrated and im trying not to leave any information out that might be useful!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated! Im quite handy so i'd like to see if I can fix this matter on my own before giving up and having to go to Mercedes.

PS. I'd like to note that a friend of mine owns an OBD2 that was compatible with my car model. We also tried that, but no errors appeared.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,003 Likes on 871 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
It's probably the ATA (alarm) siren. It's behind the right side front wheel, under the fender shroud. It can get corroded from road grime/salt. Unplug it and see if the fuse stops blowing. If so, that's the culprit.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Originally Posted by Rudeney
It's probably the ATA (alarm) siren. It's behind the right side front wheel, under the fender shroud. It can get corroded from road grime/salt. Unplug it and see if the fuse stops blowing. If so, that's the culprit.
Rodney, thank you so much for your quick reply. Your help is greatly appreciated! I will try that as soon as I can and I'll let you know what i came up with. Hopefully that solves my problem and hopefully this thread helps other people with similar problems.

-Alex.