CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Tall Paul
If we assume that your parking brake pads are of sufficient thickness to operate properly, and if we assume that the cable/lever/pedal/drum and pad clearance are all adjusted properly, then either method is correct. As long as the vehicle is held securely before being put into park then there would be no stress placed on the transmission. If you are concerned, say on an extremely steep slope, apply the parking brake and release the foot brake and let the car move to its stationary position and then place the trans in park. Not only will this prevent stressing the trans, but it will also let you know if your parking brake is fully operational. (Disclaimer: keep the foot brake pedal covered in case there is a problem with the park brake.)
Actually, Just noticed you understand what I'm trying to say. "let the car move to its stationary position and then place the trans in park"
Old 03-24-2015, 10:44 AM

2007 BMW 550i
I'm guessing there is a clear misunderstanding by how much the car is moving after i apply the brake. I'm sure its something normal. I think its highly unlikely every car I've ever applied the handbrake in is in need of repair. (i might be a bit heavy footed, but not to the point that i could brake something, pun intended)
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Certainly, we should always wait for the car to be 100% stationary before putting the shifter to P and applying the service brake or parking brake.

On an incline, these are my experiences:
1. Set parking brake, the car does not move. --> Locked by parking brake
2. Parking brake not set, the car would slide back a bit. --> Locked by transmission pawl.

Last edited by mis3; 03-24-2015 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:37 AM

2007 BMW 550i
I guess you still dont understand what i mean.. the cars moves a bit after the handbrake is applied. Or else i wouldnt have come to apply the handbrake in N before shifting to P. Im not going to go and put the handbrake/park gear while the car is moving.. But when its in park with no handbrake and on an inline it doesnt move at all (it shoves back and forth a bit because of the weight of the car on the parking gear, but no wheel movement). And ive already told you there seems to be a missunderstanding between the movement of my car on the handbrake so we can move on now.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 AM

2007 BMW 550i
Also as a reference. Tall Paul stated waiting for the car to be staionary after applying the footbrake and then shifting into park, and yet you still thought I might use the handbrake/parking brake while my car is moving. Its getting annoying that I have to keep repeating myself.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 1,004 Likes on 872 Posts
NO LONGER ACTIVE
Unless it's in an emergency situation, the parking brake is not meant to be used for stopping the car. If it isn't holding, then I'd pull the rear rotors off and inspect things. Clean all the mechanical parts to remove dust and grime, and check all the parts for proper function and installation. Check thickness on the pads. Check the drum inside the rotor for cracks, warping, etc. You can "knock down" the shine on it with sandpaper and that will give it extra grip.

With the parking brake system cleaned and the rotor/drum back in place, adjust the brake shoes. Tighten the adjuster until you feel it begin to drag as you rotate the drum. Then continue the process until it drags continuously all the way around. That's it. The cable does not get adjusted on this model.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-350, 1999 E55 AMG, AMG Orphans Club International Member #118
mis3 - just like you said. As long as the car is parked and secured by the brake, there will be no stress on the pawl.