CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1st MB & a prob on 1st day - help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk200
1st MB & a prob on 1st day - help please

Hello folks - 1st time poster and first time owner of a MB.
So went to Glasgow today from dub to pick up a 2005 clk200 automatic with 75k on the clock.
Was heading to the ferry and on some back roads gave it full throttle from 1st gear up - the car started missing and an audible warbling type sound seemed to come from the exhaust.
I pulled over immediately and as I got out smelt a smell that was like burnt rubber...... Turned off the engine.
Pulled the bonnet and couldn't see anything wrong and burning smell went almost immediately..I couldn't get any smell from the engine bay
When I turned the car back on no smell no noise and no misfiring.
I travelled on to the ferry across to Belfast and down to Dublin where I'm writing this now without incident.
Although I stopped freq to check for smell and temp stayed a constant 80 I was afraid to give it full throttle again on my trip in case I do some damage - drove at 60 mph the whole way home.
Now car might have been lien up for a while and not used if u think that might have a bearing.... Can anyone shed any ideas ? As you might imagine im voncerned as I've just purchased it.... Apart from this car seems immaculate.
Thanks in advance
Brian
Old 06-01-2015, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 754 Likes on 735 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W209 forum...
Old 06-01-2015, 04:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2009 clk-350 (Black) AMG, 2009 clk-550 (Pewter) AMG
HI,

First off, welcome to the forum and secondly, i am sorry you are having issues with your beautiful CLK.

I am no expert with the matter and i can assure you that there are many people on this forum that are and will eventually chime in.

it could be that you are correct and that it has been sitting for a while. how does the maintenance look on it? first thing i do when i get a car is change the oil/ air and oil filters. for a piece of mind.

also, do you know if the transmission has been serviced. i believe they need service at 40k miles.

Also, i have a clk550 which i drive time to time and it feels a bit weird for the first drive but then it re-learns the driving pattern and it wakes up.

you can try resetting your ecu to see if that helps.

Sorry if i was not much help and hope everything works out for you.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Welcome! yes, as stated above I'd make sure all the routine maintenance has been done.

-Luccia
Old 06-01-2015, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 57 Posts
2008 clk550 - Navigator - Frontier
Nice car!
I think you're just going to have to do it again.
Did you get a CEL (check engine light)? If so you can probably get a repair shop to pull the code and you can share that with this forum for it's meaning.

I had a similar situation a month ago in my 550. CEL, rough at idle, exhaust and feel of engine at start off felt as if I was missing a cylinder or two. This was following a rather hasty stop from 85mph on an off ramp along with some heavy engine braking (downshifts).

After a short distance to next light (< 1/8 mile), I restarted the car. The problem has not reoccurred. I haven't taken the time to connect my generic OBDII reader to pull the code/s.

If your fluid levels are ok, as I said earlier; try it again.....