CLK-Class (W209) 2003 on: CLK 270 CDI, CLK 200K, CLK 200 CGI, CLK 240, CLK 320, CLK 350, CLK 500, CLK 550 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2015 | 04:58 PM

2006 merc CLK convertible
Cruise Control

Hi guys if I use cruise control is it good or bad for economy THANKS GUYS
Old 08-08-2015 | 11:29 PM
MBworld Guru

NO LONGER ACTIVE
I would say it probably helps fuel economy as it limits the speed variances that a driver would have when controlling the accelerator pedal. But I have no evidence of that!
Old 08-09-2015 | 12:14 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Slightly worse but not worth worrying about at all.... is my opinion. I notice the car is very slow to react to heading downhill and very slow to close the throttle in cruise control. It is also much slower to get up to speed when you resume. It also cannot react in advance to hills approaching so you slow down and then it has to accelerate to get up to speed again. None of this helps economy. Having said that most drivers have no idea how to drive economically anyway.

Coasting to a stop, brisk but not excessive acceleration in the highest gear (lowest rpm) available and traveling with a completely closed throttle body where possible are the best ways to save fuel. Most cars inject no fuel at all or very minimal when the throttle is completely closed so some people say brisk acceleration followed by coasting down in speed and repeated is the most economical way to drive, also good for making people sick.

Cruising with a partial throttle is the worst condition as you are driving under very high vacuum which wastes a lot of energy. There is almost no parasitic vacuum loss with acceleration as you approach full throttle. The other approach is.... I have a V8 and don't care.